Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Boom went silent

For years I had my Boom in the bathroom at a place where it is not wet and I seldomly shower. Today it suddenly went silent. When I connect the power the lights of the knobs light up. The display stays totally dark. It was very dark all the time but now it seems to be completely shut off. When I press a preset the lights turn light and then dim again after a while. It seems a bit like it is restarting at that moment. The power plug works fine with another boom. However, the boom had some power issues all the time. Maybe a broken connector inside. Any suggestions from people here? I might open it to solder the plug. It has a broken speaker anyway. One of the two I already replaced.

If you suspect the display, you could try operating the boom from a remote device, such as the LMS UI, a phone or pad running the LMS UI, Material Skin, Squeeze_cntrl, your other boom (using select player), etc.).

Maybe you could also try headphones.

Aside from that @JoeMuc2009 has repaired them in the past, has parts, etc. Maybe you could PM him to join this thread. Also, you could look at a few of his threads, very informative.

Jim

I suspected more than the display. But I actually did not check if it was reachable over the web GUI so after your comment I put the Boom back in its place and it went on without issues...

Quote Originally Posted by bvrulez View Post
    I suspected more than the display. But I actually did not check if it was reachable over the web GUI so after your comment I put the Boom back in its place and it went on without issues...
    Wow, everything? - display, etc?

I had forgot to suggest a factory reset, but it seems a simple unplugging worked...I reread your op and you mentioned that the adaptor worked on another boom, but perhaps the receptical/socket on the boom is dirty or (as you mentioned) faulty. If you wiggle or twist the plug in the socket, do you see power interruption? You can spray some deoxit if you have it, or just alcohol and a q-tip then clean, insert, twist

Happy ending

Jim

It had to be unplugged for some longer time. Of course I had tested un/plugging before, but the behaviour did not change. Yes, I suspect the connector having something to do with it since there always has been power interruption when moving the connector. I will test your suggestions.