Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Gapless playing vs buffer settings

When I play very huge album files with continuous songs (ex.: pink Floyd - the wall 96khz-24bits, edition 2021) the songs stop before ending and begin the next one. To fix this, I set up the buffer size under squeezelite tab. Now it works flawlessly for that kind of album.

There is a but however. Setting buffer size makes it impossible to add song to a playing playlist and continue playing after the end of the first album. Music will stop at the end of the original playlist but won’t play subsequent songs added while music was playing. This problem is inexistant when buffer size parameter is left empty.

I have a rpi4 8gb, running at 2GHz, 8.2.0 picoreplayer 64bits + LMS. Music is in a USB HDD and my dac is a dragonfly red on USB port as well.

I hope it could be fixed easily in the near future!

Name:  FBCED5D1-989F-4B1E-A723-D7320572E62F.png
Views: 271
Size:  123.5 KB

Name:  1A8B88BD-0A9C-49B9-8A39-40276BCCAF8F.png
Views: 247
Size:  135.0 KB

Could someone help me with this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlabo View Post
    When I play very huge album files with continuous songs (ex.: pink Floyd - the wall 96khz-24bits, edition 2021) the songs stop before ending and begin the next one. To fix this, I set up the buffer size under squeezelite tab. Now it works flawlessly for that kind of album.

There is a but however. Setting buffer size makes it impossible to add song to a playing playlist and continue playing after the end of the first album. Music will stop at the end of the original playlist but won’t play subsequent songs added while music was playing. This problem is inexistant when buffer size parameter is left empty.

I have a rpi4 8gb, running at 2GHz, 8.2.0 picoreplayer 64bits + LMS. Music is in a USB HDD and my dac is a dragonfly red on USB port as well.

I hope it could be fixed easily in the near future!

Name:  FBCED5D1-989F-4B1E-A723-D7320572E62F.png
Views: 271
Size:  123.5 KB

Name:  1A8B88BD-0A9C-49B9-8A39-40276BCCAF8F.png
Views: 247
Size:  135.0 KB

Could someone help me with this issue?
    It seems odd that your DAC doesn't appear in the "Output Setting" box of Squeezelite settings. What do you see when you click on "more" at the end of that line?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

"inexistant"....nice word of the day

Along with Slarti, I'm curious about the missing text

Also, do you have a powered usb hub to use for your library disk ?

If not, maybe try adding the album to a usb stick and see if the problem remains.

Which power supply do you have for the rpi ?

Why overclock the rpi ?

ronnie

Is the rpi connected to the network via wireless or Ethernet?
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2022-07-25 at 01:44.

To answer some question:

No usb hub. It is a hdd with a wall wart.
    Good idea for the usb stick. I will try with a music partition directly on the as card.
    Power supply for RPi is the canakit.
    RPi is connected Ethernet with cat.6 cable operating at 1000Mbps.

My dac is USB (dragonfly red) and not a hat.

Here it is
    Name:  A824C3A4-B061-4225-A854-7E8D91825A56.png
Views: 86
Size:  127.2 KB

I think you meant that one. I normally chose hw. I did a reset lately and forgot to select. However that is not what causes the problem.

Name:  4AD9D18E-EA33-4825-9ED2-7AEAEEF1A7F0.png
Views: 87
Size:  106.3 KB

You might also like to try converting a few albums from .wav to .flac

Also leave the Squeezelite page at as default setting as possible

Just a couple of suggestions

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Charlabo View Post
    There is something odd here - the problem and possible solution don't seem to match - so there is info missing.

When tracks are lined up in a playlist - LMS does not know about album boundaries, it is just a series of disk files to be played.
    Also before a track has run out of data, LMS will send data from the next track to the player so there should be no gap due to shortage of data in buffer.

Could the problem lie in lining up the playlist - is there something being used to play album by album rather than just adding track to a playlist and then playing the playlist. Is the playlist being generated/updated automatically by something like Random

There are three buffersizes (1 ALSA, 2 Squeezelite) that can be set - which one did you set and to what value ?

I’m talking about squeezelite “streamutput” settings. Tried different settings with all the same result.

E.g.: i will put all the wall album to play entirely. Then sometime during I will add any other song or any other album because I don’t want music to stop, but music will stop Nonetheless.

The same is true if I decide to play a song and then add another song on the fly while playing. I’m not really a playlist kind of guy, I normally listen to whole albums. However, I often create playlists on the fly, adding songs here and there depending on my mood while playing.