Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arylic Up2Stream works with IPeng and Squeezebox and can stream your Vinyl too!!!

I've been experimenting with devices from Arylic https://www.arylic.com/as an alternative to PI based systems.

I've set up quite a few Pi's and PI Zero's (Mostly using Picoreplayer) to make my vortexbox based music server but i've wanted to get access to other music streaming services like Amazon Music.

I bought an Up2stream Mini V3 https://www.arylic.com/products/up2s...receiver-board that someone was selling for 1/2 price on ebay for ú25 and tried it out.

Easy setup, automatically loaded latest software when connected to network (Cable/Wifi) and has web page access as well as phone App.
    It accesses DNLA servers, Has Apple Airplay, Bluetooth receiving and can connect to Tunein, Tidal, Spotify and Amazon music amongst many others.
    It handles 192/24 bit streams but takes them down to 44.1/16 (except the Up2Stream HD DAC it is full 192/24 capable)

I've been impressed by the quality of the sound and ease of use, I even attached an es9023 dac board (saberberry) for a pi zero as well as attaching an coax rca port. The little pcb has a host of input/output ports digital(inc I2S) and analog, so ideal if you like hands on tinkering.
    They also sell a program, ACPWorkbench Tuning Tool, that allows access to the DSP allowing a array of tweeks and redefining gpio ports.

I ended up using the mini v3 attached to my Canary Daart headphone amp feeding my Sundara's in the Bedroom for some night time tunes.
    I even designed and 3D Printed a case for it and made some online postings in Head-Fi.org and a couple of other websites.

Arylic contacted me and asked if i would like to try out another of their boards, the Up2Stream Pro V3, which they sent to me.

over the last few days ive been experimenting with it and found 2 amazing things;
    It can Stream Vinyl Records

Simply feed the output of your phono pre-amp in to the Analog input and any record playing is now streamed to other Arylic devices on your home network and the quality is very good and has allowed me to enjoy some Vinyl Albums not available from the streaming services into my office desk headphone setup.

It's Ipeng and Logitech Media Server controllable

Ok you can access the music files on the Vortexbox from the 4Stream phone app but I found that by activating the Airplay Bridge in plugins, my Arylic devices were now available on Ipeng and the LMS web page and i could send music directly to each device( the devices can also be synched by their own app).

when you access the music files using the 4stream app you get the album titles/tracks and Cover Image but no other details but using Ipeng I get the full album info, Bio info etc.

I also have the Up2stream HD Dac (a Christmas present to myself) as this allows full 192/24 music streaming, I've attached it to my RME ADI-2 DAC fs and checked that my files are streaming at the correct bit depth. I also have a few DSD tracks that are successfully streamed (the LMS converting them on the fly).

These Arylic devices have really opened up my musical enjoyment by giving me access to my record collection, Amazon Music and coexisting with my LMS infrastructure at a relatively low cost. They have a store on Amazon and its worth checking the devices out as they can supplement your existing streaming devices but its ability to stream vinyl is most impressive and I'm listening via my RME ADI-2 DAC with HEDD Headphones and I'm not disappointed in the sound quality at all. Here are some images and Jabba the Hut overseeing my Vinyl Streaming

Name:  turnIMG_8205.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  234.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_7728.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  223.5 KB
    Name:  2_8b9755d2-725b-4660-90e2-e84858c8917d_1500x.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  157.9 KB
    Name:  50IMG_8209.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  112.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm a bit confused by the specs in the Up2stream Mini V3 manual, which say at bottom of p.1

"Frequency response 20Hz to 20kHz"

Do you know what that applies to?

It seems very odd for any element of an audio product to cut off below 22.05 kHz, at the very least.
    Duet x 3, via various hi-fi. LMS running on Raspberry Pi OS (Debian 10) + OMV on a Pi4 (4GB RAM) in an Argon Neo case.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderJon View Post
    I'm a bit confused by the specs in the Up2stream Mini V3 manual, which say at bottom of p.1

It seems very odd for any element of an audio product to cut off below 22.05 kHz, at the very least.
    Although it doesn't state the roll off at 20Hz or 20kHz you would expect the digital filter to roll off before 22.05kHz.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderJon View Post

I am not familiar with this product, but took a look at the manual. I agree that you would expect more from the digital performance, but I have a feeling that this refers to the analog performance of the line out (analog) jack. 20 and 20k are probably the -3db point of the analog signal (when swept with a frequency generator). So there certainly can be more info above or below, just not at the input level

In the old pre digital days (and even now) "20Hz to 20KHz" for signal electronics (as opposed to speakers) was analogous to "this equipment can provide all you can hear (range of human hearing)" or "it will pass all it's given, it's won't get in the way or cut anything off."

That's my guess...

Jim

@C3p0~

Thanks for the post, it's really interesting, and looks like something worth playing with. I read through the brief manual...but...

You mention vinyl playback and LMS. It seems to me that this device can be an LMS "player" (is this correct?) and it can also "play" vinyl through it's analog input. That is, I can play from my LMS library/Internet stations, but also switch (somehow) to play vinyl (the acrylic player can play from LMS or vinyl).

If tis is true, can it be extended so that it could serve as a "source" for other "players" via LMS?

In other words: Turntable->phono preamp->acrylic->wifi->LMS Server->another player (touch, radio, etc)->amp/speakers? I then can listen to what is spinning on my turntable in another room?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    @C3p0~

Thanks for the post, it's really interesting, and looks like something worth playing with. I read through the brief manual...but...

You mention vinyl playback and LMS. It seems to me that this device can be an LMS "player" (is this correct?) and it can also "play" vinyl through it's analog input. That is, I can play from my LMS library/Internet stations, but also switch (somehow) to play vinyl (the acrylic player can play from LMS or vinyl).

If tis is true, can it be extended so that it could serve as a "source" for other "players" via LMS?

In other words: Turntable->phono preamp->acrylic->wifi->LMS Server->another player (touch, radio, etc)->amp/speakers? I then can listen to what is spinning on my turntable in another room?

Jim
    I also read this with interest but I don't think you will be able to stream a vinyl source to other LMS players.

I do have a means of doing just that (with a few seconds lag) by using a combination of Behringer UCA202 from Tape Out RCA on Amp into a Raspberry Pi which then feeds the PCM audio through an instance of liquidsoap and Icecast 2 server converted to FLAC on the Pi. I then "tune in" to the Icecast url on LMS (a stored favourite). The bare bones of how was posted by someone ages ago and I amended accordingly - the original post is here https://iotsblog.wordpress.com/2016/...nyl-streaming/
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I also read this with interest but I don't think you will be able to stream a vinyl source to other LMS players.

I do have a means of doing just that (with a few seconds lag) by using a combination of Behringer UCA202 from Tape Out RCA on Amp into a Raspberry Pi which then feeds the PCM audio through an instance of liquidsoap and Icecast 2 server converted to FLAC on the Pi. I then "tune in" to the Icecast url on LMS (a stored favourite). The bare bones of how was posted by someone ages ago and I amended accordingly - the original post is here https://iotsblog.wordpress.com/2016/...nyl-streaming/
    Yea Jim, I remember you telling me about your technique. In fact, as a result, I went out and bought a UCA202 from Sweetwater cheap (here in US) with good intent, but it is still residing in the box in my "things to do" area

I have allot of vinyl collected in the 70's through 90's (that I took good care of) that the only way to listen is to go upstairs and listen on a separate system I have. I remember that allot of your music on Juke Radio came from vinyl, which inspired me, but apparently not enough to inspire action...maybe this winter.

Jim

Yea Jim, I remember you telling me about your technique. In fact, as a result, I went out and bought a UCA202 from Sweetwater cheap (here in US) with good intent, but it is still residing in the box in my "things to do" area

I have allot of vinyl collected in the 70's through 90's (that I took good care of) that the only way to listen is to go upstairs and listen on a separate system I have. I remember that allot of your music on Juke Radio came from vinyl, which inspired me, but apparently not enough to inspire action...maybe this winter.

Jim
    piCorePlayer also has an audio in mechanism if you have a suitable ADC (Behringer is ADC/DAC in one box) but my initial trial didn't produce the correct results. I will at some point re-visit as it is on the face of it much simpler. I think that my issue was I tried to run Squeezelite at the same time and it didn't like switching. I think it may be one mode or other.

Name:  2022-07-20 13_56_36-Window.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  28.9 KB

EDIT
    I do now remember that it only allowed one player instance from LMS to connect - but I never tried with a Group Player.
    Last edited by d6jg; 2022-07-20 at 06:02.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Vinyl play grm Arylic to Arylic

@C3p0~

Jim
    Hi,
    the Arylic devices are seen as players by the LMS infrastructure so you can send your LMS music files to those devices, the Arylic has its own Arylic infrastructure to and it will take the Analog Input of any Arylic device, digitise and stream it to any selected (or all) Arylic device.

So you can synchronise LMS devices with Arylic players and get them playing your LMS selected Music but the Arylic players wont synchronise the Arylic infrastructure with LMS (I cant make Arylic selected music eg Amazon Music play through the Squeezebox Duet Receiver)

So in order to have Vinyl access you need two arylic devices, luckily i have several different audio setups, Office, Livingroom and Bedroom. Office and Bedroom are headphone based systems with Arylic devices attached.

I didn't have ease of access to my Vinyl collection outside the Living Room but now I do via the 3 Arylic devices, I also have squeezebox duet and Picoreplayer that have been part of my Vortexbox LMS music server arrangement for several years.

So now I have the best of both worlds, the ease and flexibility of the LMS and Ipeng controller with Arylic Up2Stream as players but with the ability to use the Arylic infrastructure to access Amazon Music and other streaming services, bearing in mind the Arylic devices can access your LMS music data via DNLA (In fact it scans your network looking for Music Libraries of the UPNP/DNLA type.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by c3p0 View Post

Hope this helps
    Yes, Understand completely, thank you for the explanation. Your point about Amazon music is interesting. I pay for it paying for Prime, but never use it because I use LMS, and have no Amazon devices. I have fired it up on Smart/TV/Roku, etc and played around with it, but lack of integration into LMS caused me to lose interest...But it is there and I am paying for it.

Something to think about, thanks again for sharing your experience with this device family!

Jim