Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    35

    Just wanna share my joy

    Happy owner of a Transporter since... well... quite some time now... I bought it in US, perhaps 10 years ago or more....

    About two years ago, the power supply gave up on me... I head no idea where to bring it for repair... And it stays on a shelve talking dust. I built a RPI3 with Hifiberry Pro and max2play to replace it. but... well... Was not the same. Having the Transporter with its display was way more rewarding....

    10 days ago, I finally decided to take my chances in a shop 30 minutes from home. Brought it, said I was ok to pay up to 300$ to get it fixed.... No promise, they said... they would try. And the guy fixed it Had to replace all the parts from the power supply ! Cost me 250$.

    Now, I'm enjoying again my Qobuz music with it... and... <3 tonight, I am so very happy.... I remember 10 years ago, when wanting to buy one, it was already hard to find. I found this one in US while I was traveling (I'm in Switzerland). And now that Logitech has killed the brand (as#$"úles ), these are very rare devices to find. And there are not much devices compatible with the LMS.

    I couldn't say why I'm so attached to this ecosystem. Or may yes, I can. I have a two squeezebox radio, a squeezebox boom, the software and the firmware are open source, it's efficient, there are great plugins, and it is still alive. So many reason to love it.

    Well... Just wanted to share my joy ;-)

    Have all a nice week-end

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    9,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Superkikim View Post
    Happy owner of a Transporter since... well... quite some time now... I bought it in US, perhaps 10 years ago or more....

    About two years ago, the power supply gave up on me... I head no idea where to bring it for repair... And it stays on a shelve talking dust. I built a RPI3 with Hifiberry Pro and max2play to replace it. but... well... Was not the same. Having the Transporter with its display was way more rewarding....

    10 days ago, I finally decided to take my chances in a shop 30 minutes from home. Brought it, said I was ok to pay up to 300$ to get it fixed.... No promise, they said... they would try. And the guy fixed it Had to replace all the parts from the power supply ! Cost me 250$.

    Now, I'm enjoying again my Qobuz music with it... and... <3 tonight, I am so very happy.... I remember 10 years ago, when wanting to buy one, it was already hard to find. I found this one in US while I was traveling (I'm in Switzerland). And now that Logitech has killed the brand (as#$"úles ), these are very rare devices to find. And there are not much devices compatible with the LMS.

    I couldn't say why I'm so attached to this ecosystem. Or may yes, I can. I have a two squeezebox radio, a squeezebox boom, the software and the firmware are open source, it's efficient, there are great plugins, and it is still alive. So many reason to love it.

    Well... Just wanted to share my joy ;-)

    Have all a nice week-end
    Is this the power supply?
    https://www.rapidonline.com/powerpax...c-2-3a-85-2251

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    35

    no idea

    I have no idea. I didn't open it. I'm not much of an electronic repair guy.

    I just know he replaced all the component on the current board, and he also controlled and fixed any welding that would be weak and threatening to give up.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western/Northern New York
    Posts
    1,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Superkikim View Post

    I couldn't say why I'm so attached to this ecosystem. Or may yes, I can. I have a two squeezebox radio, a squeezebox boom, the software and the firmware are open source, it's efficient, there are great plugins, and it is still alive. So many reason to love it.

    Well... Just wanted to share my joy ;-)

    Have all a nice week-end
    I completely understand. I have probably 4 more radios than I need, and just bought another used boom for $60usd. I have no immediate need for it. My wife asks, not in a critical way, and I just tell her that these devices are wonderful not onlyfor the MSRP back then, but the super bargain used prices now.

    As you said,just connect them to the wonderful ecosystem this community continues to develop and enjoy....

    ...now, off to resolve the sticky boom buttons!

    Jim

    Ps - I do not own a transporter, but desire one. Do I need one? No, that's the fun

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    ...now, off to resolve the sticky boom buttons!
    My Boom is still in great condition for it's age. No sticky button. I can't say that much for the Radios I have . This is awful. I guess the best would be to get them printed in 3D. 3D printing requires design skills I don't have however if I can find some files, my brother has a 3D printer. He could print it for me.

    If you find your solution, let me know. I'd be glad to know.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    Ps - I do not own a transporter, but desire one. Do I need one? No, that's the fun

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western/Northern New York
    Posts
    1,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Superkikim View Post
    If you find your solution, let me know. I'd be glad to know.

    Off topic - There are a few threads in this forum on resolving the "sticky". Do a google search (easier than a forum search) to give you the forum results.

    Most of the solutions involve isopropyl alcohol and a lot of elbow grease. I remember one that mentioned using automotive brake cleaner (not carb cleaner).

    Personally, for the radios, I do this - remove the two knobs, use alcohol to get most of it, then sand down to plastic. I then spray spray paint with black matte paint. It blends in well with the rest of the radio face. I think it's @Chill that mentioned using a "tactile" (rubber feel) paint for his. I think the buttons can also get sticky, but because if the graphics I would only use alcohol and a Q-Tip. The knobs bother me the most.

    Ill look around for the threads/posts and add then via edit

    Jim

    edit - here's one: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ky-front-panel
    Last edited by Redrum; 2022-07-16 at 05:18. Reason: add link

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    9,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    Off topic - There are a few threads in this forum on resolving the "sticky". Do a google search (easier than a forum search) to give you the forum results.

    Most of the solutions involve isopropyl alcohol and a lot of elbow grease. I remember one that mentioned using automotive brake cleaner (not carb cleaner).

    Personally, for the radios, I do this - remove the two knobs, use alcohol to get most of it, then sand down to plastic. I then spray spray paint with black matte paint. It blends in well with the rest of the radio face. I think it's @Chill that mentioned using a "tactile" (rubber feel) paint for his. I think the buttons can also get sticky, but because if the graphics I would only use alcohol and a Q-Tip. The knobs bother me the most.

    Ill look around for the threads/posts and add then via edit

    Jim

    edit - here's one: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ky-front-panel
    The coating started to peel off the knob of one of my Radios leaving shiny plastic underneath. It used to annoy me, now I try to ignore it.
    I reckon however bad it looks now I can always make it worse by attempting to fix it

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western/Northern New York
    Posts
    1,373
    Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    I reckon however bad it looks now I can always make it worse by attempting to fix it

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Pulling them off, sanding, and spraying with matte black is hard to screw up...having said that, I have botched other things that seem simple

    Jim

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •