Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Radio Station streaming has become too intermittent... HELP!

Hi all, thanks for having a look at this one.
    My prob is that radio stations are rebuffering, then re-connecting almost on the minute repeatedly, resulting in a 10-15 second gap every minute or so.
    • All stations, local and international are affected [ALL as in the ones I listen to eg: BBC 6, Radio Paradise, 95Bfm, RNZ, Radiostorm Comedy 104, 24/7 Comedy ICOM-FL]
    • It seems to be more frequent in the nightime to early hours [here in NZ gmt+11]
    • On the same PC that is running LMS I can also stream the same station from its own website AT THE SAME TIME without any probs!!!!
    • I can stream a YT video on the same PC at the same time as the two other streams too...!!! [Nothing makes sense to me, I am a poor lad who doesn't possess the necessary......]

To me, the fact that I can stream another station and a YT vid at the same time, shows the internet connection is NOT my problem > AM I CORRECT ? or is route taken by YT and the radio station website unrelated.?

LMS is running on one win10 pro PC as below:
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 - 1627922070 @ Tue Aug 3 11:28:42 WEDT 2021
    Hostname: OEM1
    IP: 192.168.1.103
    HTTP Port: 9000
    Platform: 8664
    Perl Version: 5.14.1 - MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
    Audio::Scan: 1.02
    IO::Socket::SSL: 2.068
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)
    Total Players Recognized: 5
    PC HP headless SFF desktop
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
    Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.88 GB usable)

I did have the problem with long podcasts cutting off before they finished, more than a year ago now, perhaps it's getting revenge for fixing that one...!!

It is really annoying, can anyone help point me in the right direction...?
    Cheers CD

Have you tried Proxied streaming?
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Quote Originally Posted by doobre View Post
    My prob is that radio stations are rebuffering, then re-connecting almost on the minute repeatedly, resulting in a 10-15 second gap every minute or so.
    Since you just posted about metal strip on your Radio - if your players are Radio and they are Wifi then it is likely to be a Wifi Radio disconnect issue is part of your problem. metal tape will not be enough.

You should try wlanpoke. https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...fix-(wlanpoke)

Quote Originally Posted by doobre View Post

I did have the problem with long podcasts cutting off before they finished, more than a year ago now, perhaps it's getting revenge for fixing that one...!!
    In addition to the two suggestions above, since you mentioned podcast problems - Philippe's "Reliable" plugin got integrated into LMS as "persistent" streaming mode (settings->advanced->networking(pull down)->streaming mode for HTTPS->Persistent Mode)

This solved my podcast stopping/resume issues.

There is a rash of recent posts/discussions about sb radio streaming issues on wifi, including the advent of wifi6 (on your or a neighbor's network). You should start trying to eliminate variables in addition to trying the suggestions above (e.g. test the radio on ethernet, etc)

Jim
    Last edited by Redrum; 2022-07-03 at 04:59. Reason: "test radio on ethernet", not wifi

as a test, setup one of your players on ethernet, and without it being synced to other players, does it still skip. (note, switching to ethernet cable requires setup in the radio menu; it is not as simple as plugging in the cable.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

thanks all.. Q's and help req

Thanks for all the replies... individual responces at the bottom...

For me the wifi disconnect issue and the rebuffering leading to reconnecting issue are seperate.
    1. the disconnecting affected both local and streaming media, resulting in need to reconnect to the network (red icon)
    2. the disconnecting started out of the blue (new neighbours I suspect) many months after rebuffering had already started.
    3. the metal tape has fixed the disconnecting on my 'radios'
    4. rebufferring affects both Ethernet and Wifi connections, but only streamed media and without need to reconnect (no red icon)

-----------------------------

Trying to eliminate variables, so my earlier question about the route taken, still stands for comment, to know what to look at.. the LMS or the internet connection..

Q. Is it a fair test to compare the Youtube stream, the stream from the radio station website AND the stream playing by the LMS..??

So that therefore when I check the performance of these three streams at the same time on the same physical PC (the one running LMS) IS it a valid result to say that since the only stream to consistantly be rebuffering & reconnecting is the LMS stream, that the issue is therefore within the LMS, the internet connection can be ruled out??

or as all three routes could take diff routes/protocols, IS it not a reasonable assumption\way to compare.! ????

Q2. How to know if the rebuffering & recconnecting issue is caused by a faulty internet connection?? [I have fibre 950Down\500Up]

------------------------

to garym
    - yes the same issue on a properly connected ethernet cable, on a radio and on a boom, sync'd or not. [pretty sure the issue is from LMS or its internet connection]

to redrum & Jim
    - yes https streaming is on persistent, the podcast reference was my way of a joke about technology getting revenge back for fixing the long form streams..!! haha... Podcasts have been fine for a long while now

to bpa
    - the two issues for me are seperate and the disconnecting is no longer a problem, been fine for several weeks after the tape was fitted, also the disconnecting affected the units when playing both local and streamed media.. the unit would disappear from the network.. the rebuffering issue is only happening on streamed media.

to heuer
    - haven't even read about it yet.. first I want to decide where the issue is coming from, my internet connection or LMS.. Hence my first question above...
    re proxy streaming - does it cost $$? where do you suggest I start..? would it be possible to rule out my internet connection as the faulty component without the need to invest $$..?

thank you all for your input
    Cheers CD

Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Do you want to identify the problem or just lessen the symptoms ?

To identify the problem or problems as you may have a number all resulting in same symptom, you need to simplify the test setup and eliminate components.

For example, you say problem playing BBC R6 and Radio Paradise - but these are not all the same
    (i) Proxied will not help if BBC 6 played via BBC Sounds but may if playing BBC 6's MP3 stream
    (ii) Radio Paradise - which stream Flac or other ? IIRC Flac will not play direct

If you can run a test playing a single stream direct to a Wifi connected Radio (i.e stream goes direct from Station to Radio) and you get buffering then problem is with ISP/internet/Station or local Wifi or Radio and not LMS or LMS system
    If you then run a test playing a single stream direct to a ethernet connected Radio and you don't get buffering then problem is with local Wifi/Radio's wifi.

So if Wifi is the issue, then wlanpoke is a good diagnostic while the metal tape may have got rid of disconnection issue there are other wifi issues which wlanpoke can document.

Just because you have same symptom when using Ethernet and Wifi doesn't mean you can't have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    To identify the problem or problems as you may have a number all resulting in same symptom, you need to simplify the test setup and eliminate components.
    I wish I had said this . When I am faced with a problem with this, I start breaking down the problem until it's gone or it's apparent what it is. Or, start simple and build up from there.

First, please do not use your duet receiver in the test (at least on wifi). It introduces another variable. I used to live with rebuffering. Not anymore, my receivers are in a box with one on ethernet. I found their wifi performance not the best without a real strong wifi signal. rebuffering and lockup occurred.

Also, do not sync anything.

So, as suggested by @bpa (I think), try connecting your radio to mysqueezebox.com and run a stream to your radio. mysb.com does not support https streams, so you will need a http stream, or a https that redirects to http. In other words, it the stream doesn't play, try another. I think the radio paradise 128/192/320 kbps links work from mysb.com. Try it ethernet or wifi.

You could also install squeezelite-X on your PC (windows store) and you have another "player" that doesn't involve a network connection (does it?).

To directly answer your question #1 - no, it's not fair/the same, but using another device/your PC to stream. The fairest comparison might be to cut and paste the station url from LMS (say in favorites), to your windows browser's address window. I only do this to check if the station is "up".

The last thing to consider is the sb gear (radio, etc) is old. The radios have a known problem with newer wifi technology (yours or your neighbors). This forum is littered with discussions on it. Also, power supplies have failed or are failing. Anything real goofy - try a new power supply.

Jim

More Testing - Radio Paradise INTERACTIVE FLAC streams GOOD - Capital Radio BAD

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Do you want to identify the problem or just lessen the symptoms ?

For example, you say problem playing BBC R6 and Radio Paradise - but these are not all the same
    (i) Proxied will not help if BBC 6 played via BBC Sounds but may if playing BBC 6's MP3 stream
    (ii) Radio Paradise - which stream Flac or other ? IIRC Flac will not play direct

If you can run a test playing a single stream direct to a Wifi connected Radio (i.e stream goes direct from Station to Radio) and you get buffering then problem is with ISP/internet/Station or local Wifi or Radio and not LMS or LMS system
    If you then run a test playing a single stream direct to a ethernet connected Radio and you don't get buffering then problem is with local Wifi/Radio's wifi.

So if Wifi is the issue, then wlanpoke is a good diagnostic while the metal tape may have got rid of disconnection issue there are other wifi issues which wlanpoke can document.

Just because you have same symptom when using Ethernet and Wifi doesn't mean you can't have two problems.
    --------------------------------------------------

Thank you bpa and redrum for more advice, I want to get rid of the problem, get back to a year or so when everything played without an issue...
    Q. How do I play "a single stream direct to a Wifi connected Radio (i.e stream goes direct from Station to Radio)" ? Surely everything has to go through the LMS first ?!

-------------------

Secondly, Strangely I have found that the only streams that are playing without any buffering or interruption over many hours are the four Radio Paradise Interactive FLAC streams (mellow, main, world, rock) [LINK:Title: Mellow Mix - FLAC Interactive URL: radioparadise://4-1.flac]!!!! Even their corresponding MP3 and Regular FLAC streams suffer...

This is accessing these streams through the R.P plugin made by michealH

Playing any Radio Paradise link from Home > Favorites > mysqueezebox.com > R.P.320aac has the rebuffering too.

THIRD - Streaming Capital Radio from the GLOBAL PLAYER (UK) plugin made by ExpectingToFly [LINK: Title: Capital UK - The UK's No.1 Hit Music Station URL: https://media-ssl.musicradio.com/CapitalUK] will crash the whole LMS after playing a few seconds. Meaning that all connected units stop whatever they are playing, local or streaming media, access through the webpage port:9000 and iPeng is not available, no control is possible.. The LMS windows control panel will open but is empty of all info and settings..
    Only solution is PC needs to be restarted. > THIS ISSUE IS REPEATABLE AT WILL...

Fourth - I notice that most of "my favorites" except Radio P. are starting with "HTTP://OPML.RADIOTIME.COM" Is that important or indicative.?
    example >> Title: BBC World Service News URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx? id=s24948&formats=aac,ogg,mp3,wmpro,wma,wmvoice&pa rtnerId=16&serial=08d2e63022126806dee38ac56bd8ed42
    And if I paste that (or any of my favorites) address into VLC, it will play and then stop after a minute.

So Q1.. what coold be going on there?

It "FEELS" to me like my LMS setup is screwed up in its handling/encoding/transcoding etc.. of streams and is trying to do something that it shouldn't be trying OR is doing something over and over and choking itself until it stops..

Q2. HOW TO RESET EVERY LITTLE THING BACK TO DEFAULT ?? if possible.

cheers again guys