Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: FIxed to -6dB

FIxed to -6dB

If I fix playback to 100% for many source but especially for harp and flute music I hear clipping. would it be possible to fix output to instead of 100% to -6dB to keep a bit of heardoom?

Where i the source of LMS on git could I change that?

Quote Originally Posted by th00ht View Post
    If I fix playback to 100% for many source but especially for harp and flute music I hear clipping. would it be possible to fix output to instead of 100% to -6dB to keep a bit of heardoom?

Where i the source of LMS on git could I change that?
    AFAIK that is currently not possible, but you can of course decrease the volume manually each time. However, I am almost sure the digital clipping you are hearing is not caused by LMS, but is present in the audiofile itself already. That can't be fixed by reducing the volume of LMS.

/edit:
    I now see your question about Git as well. It might indeed be possible to add this as an option to LMS, I am not familiar with the code though.
    Last edited by zordaz; 2022-07-03 at 04:48.
    Living Room: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
    Attic: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
    Other rooms: 6x SB Radio
    LMS: Version 8.3.0 on Xubuntu 22.04LTS

Peter Watkins' VolumeLock plugin allows you to set a maximum volume for individual players. You could lock it to 88%, for instance, which I seem to remember corresponds to -6dB, and that would give you the headroom you're after. But as zordaz says, if the file or original recording itself clips (easy enough to check in Audacity and the like), then there's nothing that LMS can do.