Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Persistent rebuffering

    Over the past few weeks we have been suffering with the Boom in the kitchen 'pausing' while playing a radio stream, typically Scala or Jazz FM, with the display showing a slowly increasing rebuffering count; when it does this it becomes completely unresponsive. It usually requires me to power down the Boom and wait some time before restarting it; occasionally I have to restart LMS as well to fix it. The curious thing is that I can be listening to the stream at the same time on the Radio in my office with no problems (not synchronised). Suspecting that it might be a networking issue, it's a wired Ethernet connection, I have reset the switch that hosts both the Boom and the LMS, but the problem persists.

    Having searched the forum I have this morning enabled 'Info' logging on LMS 'player.source' and 'player.streaming' to try to get to the bottom of the problem. I'm running LMS on PiCorePlayer and have captured a log (attached) with the rebuffering since I restarted pCP a short while ago. I would appreciate any thoughts as to what to do next - we have been running the Boom satisfactorily for many years and with a variety of LMS hosts and this is the first time we've had a serious issue.

    Also, I notice in the log that I am now seeing a couple of errors associated with the streaming that I was previously unaware of:

    [22-06-29 11:58:44.1076] Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::getConvertCommand 2 (490) Error: Didn't find any command matches for type: aac
    ...
    [22-06-29 12:00:54.9559] Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::getConvertCommand 2 (490) Error: Didn't find any command matches for type: mp3

    Are these causing a problem and, if so, how can I fix them?

    Thanks,
    Martin
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by pointy56; 2022-06-29 at 04:33.

  2. #2
    OK, I saw in another thread that upgrading to LMS 8.3.0 seemed to cure a similar problem for someone else.
    I upgraded about a week ago and we haven't seen any buffering issues since - so I'm hopeful that it's been resolved.

    Cheers,
    Martin

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21,779
    Quote Originally Posted by pointy56 View Post
    OK, I saw in another thread that upgrading to LMS 8.3.0 seemed to cure a similar problem for someone else.
    I upgraded about a week ago and we haven't seen any buffering issues since - so I'm hopeful that it's been resolved.
    If you're referring to doobre's thread, LMS was upgraded from 8.2.0 to 8.3.0 to fix a Capital Radio crash issues. You had 8.2.1 which has the bug fix.
    It is very unlikely that buffering will be cured by an LMS upgrade, it is nearly always a network issue - local (e.g. wifi, router), station or ISP or combination.
    A quick glance at the errors in the log and they seems to be "normal" if some logging had been enabled.

    You may be lucky but if the problem returns - to save time you could then provide detail on your setup (e.g. server OS, LMS version, network topology)

  4. #4
    No, it was actually a different thread.
    I had already looked in some depth at the network which is all wired, no wireless connections, and the Touch which is on the same LMS and switch, and streaming the same station as the Boom (not synced), wasn't having any problems.
    Having worked in IT for more than 40 years I hate problems that just 'go away' so, based on what you've said, I will not be surprised if we see the problem again at some future time.

    Thanks,
    Martin

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21,779
    Quote Originally Posted by pointy56 View Post
    the Touch which is on the same LMS and switch, and streaming the same station as the Boom (not synced), wasn't having any problems.
    Touch has a bigger internal buffer so if the source station stream is a bit lumpy then Boom could rebuffer before a Touch. However if this was the main reason,it would only happen with http/MP3 stream (i.e Scala) and not with ClassicFM which is AAC and has to be transcoded for Boom by LMS (which would buffer the stream internally) - so maybe the issue is elsewhere. So if the problem recurs, some targetted testing could tease it out.

  6. #6
    Sorry, the unit in the office is a Radio, not a Touch - doh! But I assume that your point is still valid if it too has a larger buffer than a Boom.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •