Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

LMS skips songs after 1-2 seconds for local library and Spotty

Hi All,

New install of LMS will not play any songs, wither from the local music library or Spotty. I can see the Squeezelite players from Spotify, and select them, but Spotify then just skips songs rapidly without playing anything. LMS and the players see each other.

LMS was setup using linuxserver.io with docker-compose.

Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 - 1627922070 @ Tue Aug 3 11:43:55 CEST 2021
    Operating system: Debian (Docker) - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.32.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    Audio::Scan: 1.02
    IO::Socket::SSL: 2.069
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)
    Total Players Recognized: 2
    Spotty: v4.8.2

I have logging set to debug at the moment, but i don't see errors. What sections of the log (server, i assume) would be helpful in diagnosis? i did not find similar issues in searching, so not sure what else to try.

Thanks,
    thumper

Quote Originally Posted by thumper View Post
    Hi All,

New install of LMS will not play any songs, wither from the local music library or Spotty. I can see the Squeezelite players from Spotify, and select them, but Spotify then just skips songs rapidly without playing anything. LMS and the players see each other.

LMS was setup using linuxserver.io with docker-compose.

Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 - 1627922070 @ Tue Aug 3 11:43:55 CEST 2021
    Operating system: Debian (Docker) - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.32.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    Audio::Scan: 1.02
    IO::Socket::SSL: 2.069
    Total Players Recognized: 2
    Spotty: v4.8.2

I have logging set to debug at the moment, but i don't see errors. What sections of the log (server, i assume) would be helpful in diagnosis? i did not find similar issues in searching, so not sure what else to try.

Thanks,
    thumper
    I setup LMS on the piCoreplayer with some audio files on a mounted USB and that works as expected:

Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 - 1627922070 @ Tue Aug 3 11:43:18 CEST 2021
    Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
    Operating system: piCore - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: armv7l-linux
    Perl Version: 5.32.1 - arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int
    Audio::Scan: 1.05
    IO::Socket::SSL: 2.071
    Total Players Recognized: 1

Solved - Ensure 1:1 port mapping and set HTTP_PORT

Using docker-compose, make sure any port assignment is 1:1, eg 9001:9001. And set HTTP_PORT in the environment thusly:

ports:
    - 9001:9001/tcp
    - 9090:9090/tcp
    - 3483:3483/tcp
    - 3483:3483/udp
    environment:
    - PUID=1000
    - PGID=1000
    - HTTP_PORT=9001

I have a few unknowns here... are you using the "official" Docker image, or some other? If so: can you confirm the official one works first? And why would you use a non-standard port for LMS?

As you say you had the issue for any kind of resource, let's concentrate on local files first. So you're able to scan your collection, but playback fails? Anything in server.log when this happens? Where's the music stored?
    Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
    (LMS: Settings/Information)

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    I have a few unknowns here... are you using the "official" Docker image, or some other? If so: can you confirm the official one works first? And why would you use a non-standard port for LMS?

As you say you had the issue for any kind of resource, let's concentrate on local files first. So you're able to scan your collection, but playback fails? Anything in server.log when this happens? Where's the music stored?

Using the lmscommunity image (lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver) in docker.

The non-standard port is to relieve a conflict with portainer, which also uses 9000. The odd thing to me is that although i can specify the non-standard port in both the server and client, it fails without the HTTP_PORT parameter in the docker-compose environment. I gather that LMS broadcasts its port, which is the source for the 1:1 port mapping requirement.

The playback was failing for all files/sources from the server. This appears to be resolved after including the HTTP_PORT parameter, and all sources play as expected. The log file did show 404 errors.

Quote Originally Posted by thumper View Post
    The playback was failing for all files/sources from the server. This appears to be resolved after including the HTTP_PORT parameter, and all sources play as expected. The log file did show 404 errors.
    Are you saying that all is now OK and there is no need for anyone to investigate further on your behalf?
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Are you saying that all is now OK and there is no need for anyone to investigate further on your behalf?
    Correct. The issues i had were resolved by ensuring 2 steps:
    1. Ensure 1:1 port mapping. If using another port in the 9001-9999 range, they must be the same on both client and host.
    2. Set the HTTP_PORT to match the chosen port. This is broadcast from the server to the clients.

Thanks for the follow up.

LMS skips songs after 1-2 secondsfor local library and Spotty

> Correct. The issues i had were resolved by ensuring 2 steps:
    > 1. Ensure 1:1 port mapping. If using another port in the 9001-9999
    > range, they must be the same on both client and host.
    > 2. Set the HTTP_PORT to match the chosen port. This is broadcast from
    > the server to the clients.

I'm glad the documentation is still correct on this point :-)

"Please note that the http port always has to be a 1:1 mapping. [...]
    Therefore if you have to use a different http port for LMS (other than
    9000) you'll have to set the HTTP_PORT environment variable, too"

Same issue with Spotty and ports are not the problem

Hi,

When trying to play music using Spotty, it shows (e.g., in the web interface) that the song starts playing but then after a few seconds it jumps to the next track (normally about 4 seconds). There is never any audio being played.
    I've tried to play a local MP3 file and had no issues.

The problem occurred when I had my own built docker image for my rpi4, but after finding out that there is an "official" image I'm now using the lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver:dev, but I've also tried other versions.
    Since I'm still using buster, I had to back port libseccomp2 to get the time set correctly for the container (the issue is reported in one of the threads here at the forum).
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 04EE7237B7D453EC 648ACFD622F3D138
    echo "deb http: //deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/buster-backports.list
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install -t buster-backports libseccomp2

Spotty does not by default generate any outputs in the log, and I've not been able to find anything that looks suspicious when enabling info or debug (but I don't really know what to look for either).

Reported versions:
    Linux:
    Distributor ID: Raspbian
    Description: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
    Release: 10
    Codename: buster
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.3.0 - 1655802730 @ Tue Jun 21 11:22:44 CEST 2022
    Spotty (v4.8.2)
    Spotty is configured with a created Spotify ID.

# Docker compose
    # I've also tried with "network_mode: host" instead of listing the ports to reduce the chance for it to be a network error

version: '3'
    services:
    lms:
    container_name: lms
    image: lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver:dev
    #image: lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver:stable
    volumes:
    - /home/pi/docker/root/lms/config:/config:rw
    - /home/pi/docker/root/lms/music:/music:ro
    - /home/pi/docker/root/lms/playlist:/playlist:rw
    - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
    - /etc/timezone:/etc/timezone:ro