Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Opus playback speed - too fast + high-pitched

Symptoms: Opus playback on my LMS 8.3 (Windows) is too fast when I transcode to PCM for my Booms.

When I transcode to FLAC, playback speed seems fine, but most songs stop before they reach the end. It seems they end by the same amount of time playback would ordinarily be too fast.

Not just the speed is too fast, the pitch changes up, too. Like speeding up a good old analog record or cassette tape.

Also, directly jumping to a place in the track while transcoding to PCM causes playback to fail with an "can't open... only audio files are supported".
    This works fine when I transcode to FLAC.

Here is an example: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoQI5_3ipPc6pY1K...2lwpg?e=ztRzkK

Vorbis and MP3 files play and behave as expected.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by damazta; 2022-06-28 at 11:03. Reason: Share added

Opus playback speed - too fast +high-pitched

Hi damazta

are you domcote on Github? I'd prefer not to respond in three places if
    we can keep this in one place :-).

> Symptoms: Opus playback on my LMS 8.3 (Windows) is too fast when I
    > transcode to PCM for my Booms.
    >
    > When I transcode to FLAC, playback speed seems fine, but most songs stop
    > before they reach the end. It seems they end by the same amount of time
    > playback would ordinarily be too fast.

Would you have a shorter track exposing the issue? The sample file
    provided on Github is pretty long, and not exactly my preferred musical
    style :-D.

I tested with a few shorter Opus files I have. They showed the same
    Mickey Mouse symptoms transcoding to PCM. But FLAC would play ok. BUT I
    did not test on Windows (yet). Would you have some other (not Windows)
    means to test playback? I'd like to confirm whether it's a Windows only
    issue or not.

> Any ideas?

Don't use Opus? :-) If I understood correctly it's not optimized for
    offline use with local files, but rather for live streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Hi damazta

are you domcote on Github? I'd prefer not to respond in three places if
    we can keep this in one place :-).

> Symptoms: Opus playback on my LMS 8.3 (Windows) is too fast when I
    > transcode to PCM for my Booms.
    >
    > When I transcode to FLAC, playback speed seems fine, but most songs stop
    > before they reach the end. It seems they end by the same amount of time
    > playback would ordinarily be too fast.

I tested with a few shorter Opus files I have. They showed the same
    Mickey Mouse symptoms transcoding to PCM. But FLAC would play ok. BUT I
    did not test on Windows (yet). Would you have some other (not Windows)
    means to test playback? I'd like to confirm whether it's a Windows only
    issue or not.

> Any ideas?

Don't use Opus? :-) If I understood correctly it's not optimized for
    offline use with local files, but rather for live streaming.
    Hi, yes I am domcote on github. 😁 Sorry for double-posting. I just wasn't sure which forum is the best one to post a possible bug to.

Where shall we continue?

PS. meanwhile, I will indeed not use opus and revert back to vorbis, which is proven. Thing is, opus substantially better with transparency around 128kbit. Since we stream all over the globe and not just at home these days, bandwidth counts. Especially on mobile broadband. 😉

Your test file is no longer available.

What is wrong with playing back in Flac ?

When you play back in PCM - the LMS convert rules indicate that sox is supposed to transcode and if necessary resample so for non 44.1Khz files - PCM will be "worse" than Flac.

Enable logging with player.source set to INFO and from logs confirm what sox conversion command line is being used.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Your test file is no longer available.

What is wrong with playing back in Flac ?

When you play back in PCM - the LMS convert rules indicate that sox is supposed to transcode and if necessary resample so for non 44.1Khz files - PCM will be "worse" than Flac.

Enable logging with player.source set to INFO and from logs confirm what sox conversion command line is being used.
    Yeah, sorry - I deleted them again, since LMS seems to have multiple issues with opus right now.

Here is a new share with some very different music styles: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoQI5_3ipPc6pY5j...yNZuw?e=ZY4SeW

I'd prefer to transcode to FLAC to save Wifi bandwidth. The problem with transcoding to FLAC is this: https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/issues/793
    Playback ends prematurely.

Could there be a sample-rate mismatch? Opus is always 48kHz, whereas sox might be operating on a 44,1kHz assumption? Would that cause speed issues and premature playback stopping?

Also attached the log with player.source on INFO. Seems clear something isn't right...
    server.log.zip

I'll have a quick look. I know nothing about opus so I'm looking at it as an audio transcode problem

Just loaded into LMS and on scanning and I get "console" errors (i.e. from a library routine probably Audi::Scan from somewhere not in LMS) from 2 of the 3 files.

The problem files do not have any codec details. I have Audio::Scan 1.02 - I need to see if I can get Audio::Scan 1.05 (which is on Windows)

Code:
    Not an Opus file (bad opus header): /mnt/hddrive/home/albums/Test/Heatwave Moving Through a Ghost Town.01.Louigi Verona.198. Heatwave Moving Through a Ghost Town.opus
    Not an Opus file (bad opus header): /mnt/hddrive/home/albums/Test/Until All The Ghosts Are Gone HD 24-96.01.ANEKDOTEN.Shooting Star.opus
    I looked at log and tested command line conversion (i.e.not within LMS) of the files using same parameters as in log. File conversion worked OK and had correct duration & samplerate. So I see no problem with sox on Ubuntu.
    Last edited by bpa; 2022-07-06 at 04:23.

It looks like when playing PCM - LMS has scanned the file as 48Khz and told the player to play PCM at 48Khz.
    However sox command has resampled to 44.1kHz.

If I remove the "-r 44100" form the convert.conf command - the file plays OK as LMS has told player it is a 48kHz stream.

This looks like it could be a generic LMS error. Any format of non 44.1Khz files may be played incorrectly as PCM

The other two files have a problem with opus header. LMS cannot scan them, If I try to play them "natively" in a SqueezeESP32 player - LMS and player crashes.
    LMS opus scanning needs not be checked/fix as files play OK with sox and ffplay.

When testing I have to echo Michael's comment - it's hard work with these files.
    At the moment only one of the three files can be tested as LMS does not scan the file properly so metadata is unreliable

When you say a file is truncated in Flac - what amount is the truncation ?

If it is about 15 secs or less, then I think it is a Windows issues (probably socketwrapper related) which has appeared with some m4a podcast.

After trying to check headers. Some contradictions with these files.
    Sox & ffplay say they are 48Khz. The official opusinfo and opusdec from https://opus-codec.org/ say they are 44.1kHz.

How were they created ?

Quote Originally Posted by damazta View Post
    Symptoms: Opus playback on my LMS 8.3 (Windows) is too fast when I transcode to PCM for my Booms.

When I transcode to FLAC, playback speed seems fine, but most songs stop before they reach the end. It seems they end by the same amount of time playback would ordinarily be too fast.

Not just the speed is too fast, the pitch changes up, too. Like speeding up a good old analog record or cassette tape.
    This is a consequence of what seems to be a rather peculiar transcoding conversion rule:
    Code:
    ops mp3 * *
    	# IFB:{BITRATE=--abr %B}D:{RESAMPLE=--resample %D}
    	[sox] -q -t opus $FILE$ -t wav - | [lame] --silent -q $QUALITY$ $RESAMPLE$ $BITRATE$ - -

ops aif * *
    	[sox] -q -t opus $FILE$ -t raw -r 44100 -c 2 -2 -s $-x$ -

ops pcm * *
    	[sox] -q -t opus $FILE$ -t raw -r 44100 -c 2 -2 -s -

ops flc * *
    	# IFRD:{RESAMPLE=-r %d}T:{START=trim %s}
    	[sox] -t opus $FILE$ -t flac -C 0 $RESAMPLE$ - $START$
    Sox has been instructed to resample to 44100 Hz when producing pcm (and aif). But LMS is unaware of this "under the hood" resampling activity. So LMS believes that the sample rate of the stream sent to the player is 48000 Hz (which is what the source opus stream is), and advises the player accordingly. So the player receives a stream with a sample rate of 44100 Hz but believes it to be 48000 Hz, and plays it out accordingly. The consequences for speed and pitch follow.

The conversion rule was added in this commit:
    https://github.com/Logitech/slimserv...ed4cb2b46e14f3

I can see no hint as to why "resample to 44100 Hz" was specified. I suspect that it is simply a mistake, and should be removed.

EDIT: Crossed with @bpa.

Quote Originally Posted by damazta View Post
    Also, directly jumping to a place in the track while transcoding to PCM causes playback to fail with an "can't open... only audio files are supported".
    I believe this to be a consequence of the particular transcoding rule used which, unlike the flac rule, does not appear to support seeking to a given start time. I don't know why not.
    I tried a test with the following (flac rule inspired) rule:
    Code:
    ops pcm * *
            # IFT:{START=trim %s}
            [sox] -q -t opus $FILE$ -t raw -c 2 -2 -s  - $START$
    This seemed to work ok, with a quick test. My knowledge of transcoding rules is limited, though, so would require more experienced eyes than mine to verify that it is, indeed, correct.
    Last edited by mrw; 2022-07-06 at 07:16.