Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Electronic noise can do really weird things. The next test is to put a powered USB hub in the middle. Make sure to feed the hub from a separate power supply.

If you have a different wifi device, it might be worth a shot to try it.
    I don't have a powered usb hub so it might be a few days before I can report back. Though even if it is the solution, I am running out of power sockets in the bedroom - lamps, smart speaker, bedside fan, phone charger, amp, RPi etc. - so it might not be entirely practical.
    Last edited by Erm; 2022-06-26 at 09:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Erm View Post
    I don't have a powered usb hub so it might be a few days before I can report back. Though even if it is the solution, I am running out of power sockets in the bedroom - lamps, smart speaker, bedside fan, phone charger, amp, RPi etc. - so it might not be entirely practical.
    power strip, with multiple sockets?
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Have you tried using the Pi internal WiFi?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I've finally got my hands on a powered usb hub. Which unfortunately hasn't made any difference. I also tried using the Alfa wi-fi adapter with the office server. The office server uses the same model pi, power supply, amp and speakers. In this case the audio is just fine.

However, I have stumbled on a simple solution: Chromecast bridge plugin + smart speakers. An option which I can't believe I hadn't noticed and tried before. It seems to work OK and the smart speakers are fine for a bedroom setting.

I've finally got my hands on a powered usb hub. Which unfortunately hasn't made any difference. I also tried using the Alfa wi-fi adapter with the office server. The office server uses the same model pi, power supply, amp and speakers. In this case the audio is just fine.

However, I have stumbled on a simple solution: Chromecast bridge plugin + smart speakers. An option which I can't believe I hadn't noticed and tried before. It seems to work OK and the smart speakers are fine for a bedroom setting.
    Did you try the Pi internal WiFi?

I do not have a solution to propose, just a comment and something to try.

The aberration sounds like a VOX effect (voice activated) like the old analog mics, phones, etc. used to employ. That is, the amp is off until the input signal reached a threshold, then the amp would turn on (along with it's S/N). So, perhaps the presence of signal is causing something to switch on, introducing the noise. Even if it's EMI this could be the cause. Again, not solution, just a thought.

Also, wondering if you have tried both pi systems with the same set of headphones. Headphones help you hear more detail (at least to me), and it would eliminate anything from your amp->speaker signal path. I'm not sure, but maybe you have to go into the configuration to temporarily change the audio output destination?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Did you try the Pi internal WiFi?

I tried the internal wi-fi but I couldn't get a workable wi-fi connection in the bedroom. At least not where it sits underneath a side table. Which is why I was using the usb Alfa wi-fi adapter.

I should have tested the Pi right next to the router just to rule it in or out but my goal was to find a partner-friendly solution asap. Sorry about that. If I find time (and remember) I'll test it next to the router sometime this week or so.

I should have tested the Pi right next to the router just to rule it in or out but my goal was to find a partner-friendly solution asap. Sorry about that. If I find time (and remember) I'll test it next to the router sometime this week or so.
    If you confirm that it is the wifi adapter by testing the internal wifi next to the router, another option is to go to a wifi extender that will connect to you pi via ethernet cable. I used a TP-LINK TL-WA850ORE on my old touch when the wifi went out. Relatively inexpensive and then you are bypassing the pi wifi completely.

Good luck

Anthony
    Pi 4 - JustBoom Digi - Topping E30
    Pi 4 - HiFiBerry Dac2 Pro
    Pi 4 - Topping D10s

Quote Originally Posted by agburnsky View Post
    If you confirm that it is the wifi adapter by testing the internal wifi next to the router, another option is to go to a wifi extender that will connect to you pi via ethernet cable. I used a TP-LINK TL-WA850ORE on my old touch when the wifi went out. Relatively inexpensive and then you are bypassing the pi wifi completely.

Good luck

Anthony
    I thought about a wi-fi range extender but as I only use the bedroom audio for audiobooks and podcasts for about 15-30 mins before sleep I really don't fancy spending any more at present. And using the two wall-mounted smart speakers as squeezelite players (with the help of the Chromecast bridge plugin) is a workable and acceptable solution for now. Also there's limited depth behind the side tables and it might a squeeze to fit a thick plug in the space. But still, thanks for the suggestion. If I come across something like the TP-Link extender on ebay for a nice price I'll very likely give it a go sometime.