Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Max Volume - Random volume changes

Ive been using SB for many years and have recently run into an issue with player volume changing on its own. First off my systems:

SB Touch Firmware: 8.0.1-r16862
    SB Radio Firmware: 8.0.1-r16881
    RP4 w/ Touch Screen & HIBerrry Digi+ (Max2Play 2.56)
    RP3 w/ HiBerry Amp (Max2Play 2.56)
    RP4 w/ HiBerry Amp (Max2Play 2.56) Server Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.1 - 1652959290 @ Thu 19 May 2022 01:33:18 PM CEST

Typicaly I control my system in one of two ways... 1. RP4 w/ touch screen 2. Squeeze CTRL (android phone).

My issue has been with the volume on devices increasing to 90+%. I can repeat the issue when I sync players.... Prior to sysnc the players are at say 20% volume, after I sync them either one or both will increase to 90+% (not playing anything). This happen between my RP4 - server and RP3 as they both control outside speakers.

This morning my SB radio (alarm clock) was playing its alarm (radio station). After about 10-15 of normal operation the volume increased to 90+%.

Ive searched on the forums and have found this type of issue listed but I havent found a solution. Any ideas out there?
    ~Staudie

1 piCoreplayer Pi4 HifiBerry Amp+ w/ 4Tb External storeage, 1 piCoreplayer Pi3 HifiBerry Amp+, 1 piCoreplayer Pi4 Hifiberry Digi+ Pro w/ 7" touch, 1 SB Touch, & 1 SB Radio

Max Volume - Random volume changes

I know of a few reasons which have caused this in the past:

- your LMS is open to the world and somebody is having fun playing with
    it
    (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...o-the-internet!)

- someone accidentally put a weight on an IR remote control, causing
    random key presses

- Spotty Connect is playing games

Please also double check whether you've got volume sync enabled when
    syncing players.

mherger Thanks for th reply.

I have gone through my FW settings and I do not have any port forwarding setup. Also I run port scans https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 all port are not responding. Lastly I find it difficult to believe that someone could change the volume at the exact time I’m syncing to players.

No remotes are involved when syncing players. For the SB radio incident no one was in the room.

I’m running Spotty Connect 4.8.2 which I believe is the most resent version.

Its just might be Sqeeze CTRL. - Ruled out

**** Quick update the SB radio volume change is not random. I was trouble shooting this morning and when I sync'ed play A & B the volume on player B & the SB radio increased. I wasn't syncing the SB radio but the volume increased. It looks like the players that were powered on (maybe the none fixed volume players) had the volume increased. The sync was preformed on the RP4 touch screen and volume changes were see & heard on a windows machine browser. ****
    Last edited by Staudie; 2022-06-24 at 10:24.
    ~Staudie

1 piCoreplayer Pi4 HifiBerry Amp+ w/ 4Tb External storeage, 1 piCoreplayer Pi3 HifiBerry Amp+, 1 piCoreplayer Pi4 Hifiberry Digi+ Pro w/ 7" touch, 1 SB Touch, & 1 SB Radio

Quoting edited message for Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Staudie View Post
    mherger Thanks for th reply.

I have gone through my FW settings and I do not have any port forwarding setup. Also I run port scans https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 all port are not responding. Lastly I find it difficult to believe that someone could change the volume at the exact time Iĺm syncing to players.

No remotes are involved when syncing players. For the SB radio incident no one was in the room.

Iĺm running Spotty Connect 4.8.2 which I believe is the most resent version.

Its just might be Sqeeze CTRL. - Ruled out

**** Quick update the SB radio volume change is not random. I was trouble shooting this morning and when I sync'ed play A & B the volume on player B & the SB radio increased. I wasn't syncing the SB radio but the volume increased. It looks like the players that were powered on (maybe the none fixed volume players) had the volume increased. The sync was preformed on the RP4 touch screen and volume changes were see & heard on a windows machine browser. ****
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

I've narrowed it down to sync. I can get the issue to repeat

From a windows base machine in the Server UI. I have one tab open to a player and one open to the server settings. The volume for all players (including fixed volume players) are set to 95% when I press the apply button when on the Settings/Player/Synchronize window.

From a windows base machine in the Server UI. When I sync two players the volume for all players, except the one Im syncing to (including fixed volume players) are set to 95%. Then I turn all volumes back to 20% and unsync the two players, all volumes (including fixed volume players) are set back to 95%.

I did find several thread on the volume increasing on people

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...maximum+volume

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...maximum+volume

Niether of which had a solution. Any idea which log I should be looking at?
    ~Staudie

Ran through sqeezeboxserver.pref and found a player with a volume set to 95. The only issue what the MAC address is not for any of my current players. In fact there are several MAC adddress that do not match any of my current players.
    ~Staudie

Quote Originally Posted by Staudie View Post
    Ran through sqeezeboxserver.pref and found a player with a volume set to 95. The only issue what the MAC address is not for any of my current players. In fact there are several MAC adddress that do not match any of my current players.
    You can remove all those no longer used players with the Client Cleanup plugin.

Name:  CCU.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  52.8 KB
    LMS server/study player - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.1.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > Topping E30 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Echo Show 8
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, 1xDAC32, 1xCORE32

You can remove all those no longer used players with the Client Cleanup plugin.
    Thanks kidstypike... I cleaned up the extra players. I noticed two strange items

1. A player with the same name (server name) as an existing that wasnt connected but the last seen was 4 days ago. Nothing has changed here in a long time. - Shows after a reboot

2. After installing the add on I had to reboot the server and that caused the volumes to change, but no they are going to 99.

More work to be done.
    Last edited by Staudie; 2022-06-25 at 08:44.
    ~Staudie

Rebuilt server useing the lastest version of piCoreplayer and the volume issue is gone. Going to run it for a few days before calling it fixed and redoing my entire setup with piCore.
    ~Staudie