Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    agree, I was just reporting that my radio "stop" behaved differently than my previous touch "stop", and you explained what I saw ( more than one player in action), which I appreciate.

I do have one question - why continue to pursue this? Are you (@bpa, @slarti, @Paul) trying to expose the cause to make sure it's not something that needs to be tweaked in LMS? Mind you, I have worked on things well past the point of common sense "just because"

Jim
    The radio station are aware of it now so hopefully they will make changes at their end.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Intellectually interesting.
    It has exposed a bug / feature in Jive based players that, now that there are people who know how to do it, could be fixed old Squeezebox Radio and Touch.
    I think it is pretty good to be able to fix stuff in old kit.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

There have fewer inserts today but from the small selection.

Any of the promo inserts which seem to be station produced labelled "Delicious Agony ...Promo" seem to be OK and 44.1kHz stereo.

The "Station_ID" inserts which often feature voice of artist and the name ends with "Station_ID" seem to vary from the 44.1kHz stereo to either mono or a non 44.1kHz sample rates - these are the problem inserts.

Why chase the bugs ?

Curiousity mainly - sometime bugs are problems in implementation either source, LMS or player but sometimes it is new tech (e.g. new server broadcaster server s/w) or a new trend which breaks implementation and need to get ahead of the curve.

This sort of bug is "nice" because there are long gaps between events and it gives time think tactics to find it.

Chasing bugs is also more interesting than the pile of paperwork I should be working on, but the long gaps means I can do a bit of both.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Why chase the bugs ?

Curiousity mainly - sometime bugs are problems in implementation either source, LMS or player but sometimes it is new tech (e.g. new server broadcaster server s/w) or a new trend which breaks implementation and need to get ahead of the curve.

This sort of bug is "nice" because there are long gaps between events and it gives time think tactics to find it.

Chasing bugs is also more interesting than the pile of paperwork I should be working on, but the long gaps means I can do a bit of both.
    Bugs must be chased and squashed. I was just wondering on the thoughts of chasing this bug, one station, intermittent occurrences. Thanks for the feedback as to why this one is being pursued (fairly aggressively). Like I said, I have perused things fairly aggressively until someone (usually my wife) would say "why are you doing this?". Often that would snap me out of it, other times not.

Jim

For me ... I am about to release an update to my plugin that adds this station.
    If it does not work smoothly then I might generate more forum feedback from people saying it does not work ... so I would probably have to put a warning in the changelog and announcement (which people might not read and will not remember when they experiment with the station from the list).
    So having it resolved before release has the potential to reduce future frustration and workload.

However, having an issue that turns out to be readily repeatable with the prospect of what might be a small fix to the players makes a successful outcome likely and successes tend to induce happiness .. even though it will not be me that fixes it.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Didn't take long for latest test to show an error - this time 44100 to 8000 !! Not only a sample change but must also be a change from MPEG2 encoding to MPEG2.5 as only MPEG2.5 support 8000Hz
    Code:
    Jun 23 12:30:27 squeezeplay: INFO   audio.decode - Playback.lua:448 0.9%/99.7%
    Jun 23 12:30:27 squeezeplay: DEBUG  audio.codec - decode_mad_output:386 Sample rate changed from 44100 to 8000, discarding PCM
    Jun 23 12:30:27 squeezeplay: DEBUG  audio.decode - Playback.lua:320 status DECODE UNDERRUN
    Jun 23 12:30:27 squeezeplay: DEBUG  audio.decode - decode_song_ended:777 decode_song_ended
    Jun 23 12:30:27 squeezeplay: DEBUG  audio.decode - decode_song_ended_handler:323 decode_song_ended_handler
    Jun 23 12:30:27 squeezeplay: DEBUG  audio.codec - decode_mad_stop:548 decode_mad_stop()
    It seems a deliberate choice of Squeezeplay to stop the mp3 stream:
    Code:
    	/* Bug 9046, don't allow sample rate to change mid stream */
    	if (self->packets > 2 && self->sample_rate != self->frame.header.samplerate) {
    		LOG_DEBUG(log_audio_codec, "Sample rate changed from %d to %d, discarding PCM", self->sample_rate, self->frame.header.samplerate);
    		current_decoder_state |= DECODE_STATE_ERROR;
    		return;
    	}
    https://github.com/ralph-irving/sque...ode_mad.c#L384

I have no idea what Bug 9046 actually said...

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    I have no idea what Bug 9046 actually said...
    Although it looks to have been derived from an ip3k firmware fix:
    Porting fix for bug 9046 from ip3k firmware r4698.

There have fewer inserts today but from the small selection.

Any of the promo inserts which seem to be station produced labelled "Delicious Agony ...Promo" seem to be OK and 44.1kHz stereo.

The "Station_ID" inserts which often feature voice of artist and the name ends with "Station_ID" seem to vary from the 44.1kHz stereo to either mono or a non 44.1kHz sample rates - these are the problem inserts.

Why chase the bugs ?

I just got a message on Facebook saying that Delicious Agony have re-encoded the offending Station IDs and promos so fingers crossed the issue should be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    I just got a message on Facebook saying that Delicious Agony have re-encoded the offending Station IDs and promos so fingers crossed the issue should be fixed.

Having said that it doesn't play at all for me now.

There seems to be an issue with the website as that doesn't load either.