Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclude duplicates?

Hi there,
    wasn't there an option to exclude duplicates when you have both the mp3- and the flc-version of a song? Or was it a plugin? I seem to be unable to find it. i am sure sth like this must have existed.
    I am looking for a way to easily suppress two versions of an album being listed in my library if they are present on my HD. I have this case quite often.
    Thanks for pointing me into the right direction. Any help is appreciated!
    RPI 3+ with LMS 8.2.0 -- RPI 2 with a Hifiberry DAC+ running PiCorePlayer -- SBR running Firmware 8.0 -- Plugins: Material Skin, MAI, Podcasts, Musik - folge mir, Squeezelite-X, Ratings Light, Exclude Folders -- DSM 6.2.2 (Synology Disk Station 115) has my music

Quote Originally Posted by streifenleopard View Post
    Hi there,
    wasn't there an option to exclude duplicates when you have both the mp3- and the flc-version of a song? Or was it a plugin? I seem to be unable to find it. i am sure sth like this must have existed.
    I am looking for a way to easily suppress two versions of an album being listed in my library if they are present on my HD. I have this case quite often.
    Thanks for pointing me into the right direction. Any help is appreciated!
    There is a check box in settings for "Additional Browse Modes" to hide lossy versions of lossless versions exist.Name:  Screenshot_20220620-224203.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  51.8 KB

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    There is a check box in settings for "Additional Browse Modes" to hide lossy versions of lossless versions exist.
    Excellent. Thank you! I knew that there was sth simple around!
    RPI 3+ with LMS 8.2.0 -- RPI 2 with a Hifiberry DAC+ running PiCorePlayer -- SBR running Firmware 8.0 -- Plugins: Material Skin, MAI, Podcasts, Musik - folge mir, Squeezelite-X, Ratings Light, Exclude Folders -- DSM 6.2.2 (Synology Disk Station 115) has my music

I assume it requires a full rescan?

I assume it requires a full rescan?
    Maybe, I haven't tried it. I am not sure if Library views require a scan. Check to see if a new library view has appeared.

I've been wondering for some time now how duplicates are determined. Is it by filename, tag & file extension? Or a combination of them?

From several albums and songs I have more than one version because they differ in mastering or are a different mix. The songnames in most cases are the same, but in the comment field of the tags more details are mentioned about the mix or mastering. Another use case is when you have duplicates because you own a compilation and a full album of an artist with some overlap in songs.

How is this all handled if you enable the exclude function? I always assumed it was not for me because of my use cases, but I might be wrong of course.
    Living Room: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
    Attic: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
    Other rooms: 6x SB Radio
    LMS: Version 8.3.0 on Xubuntu 22.04LTS

Quote Originally Posted by zordaz View Post
    I've been wondering for some time now how duplicates are determined. Is it by filename, tag & file extension? Or a combination of them?

From several albums and songs I have more than one version because they differ in mastering or are a different mix. The songnames in most cases are the same, but in the comment field of the tags more details are mentioned about the mix or mastering. Another use case is when you have duplicates because you own a compilation and a full album of an artist with some overlap in songs.

How is this all handled if you enable the exclude function? I always assumed it was not for me because of my use cases, but I might be wrong of course.
    This particular setting only hides lossy versions if a lossless version is also in your library so if you have multiple versions which are all lossless it would have no effect.

Hm, I performed a rescan and it didn't change anything. Maybe the files need to be in the same folder?

Hm, I performed a rescan and it didn't change anything. Maybe the files need to be in the same folder?
    Which library view are you using? You should be using "Hide lossy duplicates........."Name:  Screenshot_20220621-224325.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  31.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    This particular setting only hides lossy versions if a lossless version is also in your library so if you have multiple versions which are all lossless it would have no effect.

Thanks for your clarification, but also in that case my main question still stands: how is determined that both songs (lossy vs lossless) are really the same albeit encoded differently? They still can be different mixes or masterings instead of created from the same source.
    Living Room: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
    Attic: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
    Other rooms: 6x SB Radio
    LMS: Version 8.3.0 on Xubuntu 22.04LTS