Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Podcast alternative plugin / server

I hope everyone will forgive me if this is a foolish suggestion and request:

Are there any developers who might be interested in creating a plugin to support a Podgrab server - or perhaps Audiobookshelf, which also has support for Podcasts - as an alternative to the Logitech Podcast plugin?

I ask because I find the Logitech Podcast plugin to be extremely slow and unreliable. Especially when opening a list of podcast episodes. Possibly because it seems to reload a complete list of episodes each time you click/tap on a podcast title. Many times it can fail to populate the list, and quite frequently if the stream isn't 100% the playback will conk out.

With a local Podgrab server working in the background to automatically download and stream podcast episodes to your Squeezebox it could be a much faster, smoother and more reliable experience.

Apologies if I've overlooked an obvious problem or if this seems a little presumptuous.

Do you use podgrab?
    If yes ... since it downloads the files ... what happens if you point LMS to the files and have it scan them?
    (docs says that it add ID3 tags so might look OK in LMS - and be listed nicely under New Music)

The docs also say that it can export OPML. If that can be done without a user sitting there and typing things ... then LMS might be able to import that OPML into the LMS podcast menu.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Do you use podgrab?
    If yes ... since it downloads the files ... what happens if you point LMS to the files and have it scan them?
    (docs says that it add ID3 tags so might look OK in LMS - and be listed nicely under New Music)

The docs also say that it can export OPML. If that can be done without a user sitting there and typing things ... then LMS might be able to import that OPML into the LMS podcast menu.
    Sorry for the very slow reply. My PC monitor died 30 mins or so after the post on Friday evening. My new monitor arrived this afternoon and I've been trying to follow your suggestion with Squeezebox / Squeezelite running on DietPi & Raspberry Pi2. Podgrab is installed and running via docker on the same Pi.

After scanning the Podgrab folder the podcasts titles and episodes are listed just fine in New Music. Though it would still be my preference to have a dedicated Podgrab plugin with an appropriate library structure.

I've also added the Podgrab RSS to the LMS podcast plugin. Though as the plugin lists every Podgrab podcast under the Podgrab title it's not really a useful alternative at present.

The only real deal-breaker issue is the playback speed. For some reason the playback is at 1.25 - 1.5X. Is this a Podgrab issue or something I can tweak within LMS?

Podcasters with voice-only content do sometimes play with the sample rate to keep them small.

One way to research it is to download one by hand - without podgrab - and load it into a different folder and then play it via LMS.
    If you get the same problem then you can rule out podgrab.
    Then you would need to look at the audio characteristics of the file - and/or turn on detailed logging in LMS and see what it finds.
    Settings/Advanced/Logging ... player.source perhaps

Also - when you view them in New Music do they have different artist names?
    If yes - then look under that artist name in LMS ... although I can imagine that alphabetic sorting within an artist might not be very useful.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Podcasters with voice-only content do sometimes play with the sample rate to keep them small.

One way to research it is to download one by hand - without podgrab - and load it into a different folder and then play it via LMS.
    If you get the same problem then you can rule out podgrab.
    Then you would need to look at the audio characteristics of the file - and/or turn on detailed logging in LMS and see what it finds.
    Settings/Advanced/Logging ... player.source perhaps

Also - when you view them in New Music do they have different artist names?
    If yes - then look under that artist name in LMS ... although I can imagine that alphabetic sorting within an artist might not be very useful.
    Sorry for another slow reply.

I downloaded a sample podcast* by hand and the 1.25 - 1.5x speed issue remains. However, I've also tried playing the same podcast on my desktop and phone, and with Volumio. Both as a file and streamed via RSS from Podgrab. In all cases the playback is perfect.

I took a look in the logging stuff but I haven't a clue where to start. The only thing I can find about the example file is the codec info in VLC:

Codec: MPEG Audio layer 1/2 (mpga)
    Type: Audio
    Channels: Stereo
    Sample rate: 44100 Hz
    Bits per sample: 32
    Bitrate: 128 kb/s

One thing that is solved. It took me a while to spot the I info button alongside each of Podgrab's podcast subscriptions. Within the info window there's a dedicated RSS link for each subscription. Which works fine when added to Squeezebox's podcast plugin. Every podcast is listed by name and with all the episode names and other details. And it loads instantly. If the playback speed issue can be resolved then everything would be dandy.

* Origin Story - Neoliberalism: Everything’s for sale

[UPDATE: the speed issue is resolved. The problem was DietPi. Tried LMS with PiCorePlayer and now Podgrab rss playback via the Podcast plugin works fine.]
    Last edited by Erm; 2022-06-28 at 03:20. Reason: startingly new information