Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

File Hierarchy in Heos app, driven by LMS server

I've got an LMS server version 8.3 working on my Mac mini; my Denon receivers and speakers can see it and stream from it.

The issue is that there is a weird hierarchy using the Heos app.

Once I select the server, I get a page that offers these folder choices: Search, Browse, Artists, Albums, Genres, Tracks. However selecting any of the last four lead me only to the same list of individual song titles.

Browse leads to a Music folder as the only choice then to ANOTHER set of folders: Artists, Albums, Genres, Years, New Music, Music Folder.
    At this level, Artists shows the composer tag; while Albums, Genres, Years, New Music all work properly as expected. If I select "Music Folder" I then get options for three folders: Music along with bracketed options for [Movies] and [Pictures].
    If I select "Music" here, I get a list of [album] Artists and then can select from their albums as expected/desired.

However this is buried really deeply in a hierarchy that looks like this:
    Logitech Media Server [name]/Browse/Music/Music Folder/Music/artist names probably using the album artist file folders or (less likely) the album artist tag.

Files are organized/tagged using Itunes/Music with all the cuts on a non-compilation album stored in the same album artist folder and tagged as such so iTunes will manage them that way.

The Ipeng iOS app can use this same server to correctly recognize the hierarchy/tags (although it also shows "composer" under the "artist" icon, but has a top-level "folder icon" that effectively gives me a list of album artists.

I'm sure one issue is how to index files in LMS for "artist" display (e.g. whether to use album artist, artist, or composer tags).

But there also seems to be an issue with how the HEOS app, which is really basic, interacts with the hierarchy of files and/or the tags and then presents those to the user.

I'm looking for advice as to whether these things can be best addressed by changing LMS indexing/presentation options or if there is a way to change how the HEOS app presents folders/tags to the user.

I don't particularly care about preserving access to songs by composer.

Any help or pointers appreciated. This may be a beginner question, but posting here because of the Heos connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Philo99 View Post
    I've got an LMS server version 8.3 working on my Mac mini; my Denon receivers and speakers can see it and stream from it.

The issue is that there is a weird hierarchy using the Heos app.

Once I select the server, I get a page that offers these folder choices: Search, Browse, Artists, Albums, Genres, Tracks. However selecting any of the last four lead me only to the same list of individual song titles.

Browse leads to a Music folder as the only choice then to ANOTHER set of folders: Artists, Albums, Genres, Years, New Music, Music Folder.
    At this level, Artists shows the composer tag; while Albums, Genres, Years, New Music all work properly as expected. If I select "Music Folder" I then get options for three folders: Music along with bracketed options for [Movies] and [Pictures].
    If I select "Music" here, I get a list of [album] Artists and then can select from their albums as expected/desired.

However this is buried really deeply in a hierarchy that looks like this:
    Logitech Media Server [name]/Browse/Music/Music Folder/Music/artist names probably using the album artist file folders or (less likely) the album artist tag.

Files are organized/tagged using Itunes/Music with all the cuts on a non-compilation album stored in the same album artist folder and tagged as such so iTunes will manage them that way.

The Ipeng iOS app can use this same server to correctly recognize the hierarchy/tags (although it also shows "composer" under the "artist" icon, but has a top-level "folder icon" that effectively gives me a list of album artists.

I'm sure one issue is how to index files in LMS for "artist" display (e.g. whether to use album artist, artist, or composer tags).

But there also seems to be an issue with how the HEOS app, which is really basic, interacts with the hierarchy of files and/or the tags and then presents those to the user.

I'm looking for advice as to whether these things can be best addressed by changing LMS indexing/presentation options or if there is a way to change how the HEOS app presents folders/tags to the user.

I don't particularly care about preserving access to songs by composer.

Any help or pointers appreciated. This may be a beginner question, but posting here because of the Heos connection.
    The HEOS app is reading the uPNP interface provided by LMS. Itĺs basic because uPNP/DLNA is, frankly, a flawed protocol.
    iPeng is using the fully featured native LMS interface.
    You are not comparing apples with apples.
    Changing your indexing will make little or no difference.

Edit
    My recommendation would be to switch off upnp interface in LMS and then install Plex (or some other upnp/dlna server software) and point it at the same files as LMS.
    Last edited by d6jg; 2022-06-18 at 11:46.

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    The HEOS app is reading the uPNP interface provided by LMS. Itĺs basic because uPNP/DLNA is, frankly, a flawed protocol.
    iPeng is using the fully featured native LMS interface.
    You are not comparing apples with apples.
    Changing your indexing will make little or no difference.

Edit
    My recommendation would be to switch off upnp interface in LMS and then install Plex (or some other upnp/dlna server software) and point it at the same files as LMS.
    Advice not to waste time trying to fix something that is inherently limited can be very useful advice. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Philo99 View Post
    Advice not to waste time trying to fix something that is inherently limited can be very useful advice. Thanks.
    Depending on the specs of your Denon Receiver(s) you might wish to try Phillipe's AirPlayBridge plugin to LMS as most Denon's include AirPlay

Once installed and running this displays any AirPlay device on your network as a native player to LMS which can be controlled by any of the LMS control gui's - iPeng, Browser using default skin or Material skin (recommended) etc.

The downside is that the Bridge plugin supports AirPlay 1 only - meaning you are limited to 16/44.1 (higher res audio will be transcoded accordingly) - however the bridge plugin is very reliable and will push metadata to the Denon if it has a now playing display

If you haven't tried Material as a control mechanism then you should - it is now the defacto controller app and will work on any device with a HTML5 browser. As a controller it is arguably better than iPeng - I use both on same device. iPeng as player but controlled by Material

Install via plugins page
    Point browser at http://lmsaddress:9000/material
    On iPhone use Safari then do "Add to Home Screen" - this removes the browser navigation menu and makes it work like a regular iOS app
    Last edited by d6jg; 2022-06-23 at 02:54.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Plus - if the objective is to continue to use the Heos app then it will be reduced to a pause/resume/volume function since it will not be able to access the LMS music list.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin