Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Member threej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    30

    WLANPOKE install with Mac OS?

    I have six Squeezebox Radios rendered effectively useless by disconnects. I'd love to install WLANPOKE, but I'm a Mac user and the directions for install are Greek to me. Is there another way?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Tony T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,230
    Use Mac’s Terminal App to log into each SB Radio
    (on the Radio, Settings->Advanced->Remote Login, and select Enable — The Radio’s address will be displayed)
    Then in Mac’s Terminal, enter (replacing the x’s with your radio’s address.):
    Code:
     
    ssh -oKexAlgorithms=+diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 -c aes128-cbc xxx.xxx.xx.xxx -l root
    Password is 1234

    Now, on the Radio, make a directory for wlanpoke in /etc
    Code:
    cd /etc
    #check:
    pwd 
    mkdir wlanpoke
    cd wlanpoke
    #check
    pwd
    On the Mac, download the file from https://github.com/PomDev2/wlanpoke.git
    (Click the green Code, and D/L to Mac's Desktop)
    Unzip on Mac's Desktop

    Make the following change to the last line in rcS.local.example in the folder you just unzipped
    (Drag the file to Mac's TectEdit Program):

    Code:
    # Edit to last line of rcS.local.example
    /etc/wlanpoke/wlanpoke.sh -x -W quick &
    Copy the files to the Radio (replace MY name with YOURS, and the x's with your Radio’s address)
    Code:
    scp -oKexAlgorithms=+diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 -c aes128-cbc /Users/Tony/Desktop/wlanpoke-main/* root@xxx.xxx.xx.xxx:/etc/wlanpoke
    On the Radio, enter "ls", and you should see the files.

    Now, on the Radio:
    Code:
    chmod 755 /etc/wlanpoke/*.sh
    chmod 755 /etc/wlanpoke/rcS.local.example
    cp  /etc/wlanpoke/rcS.local.example  /etc/init.d/rcS.local

    Reboot the Radio.
    Check that its working:
    In Safari, enter http://xxx.xxx.xx.xxx:8080 (again, replace the x's with your SB Radio Addesss)
    and if its running, you'll see: Wireless LAN Statistics

    Hope this helps

    P.S. If you later want to uninstall, you can rm -Rf /etc/wlanpoke and rm /etc/init.d/rcS.local
    (or just rm /etc/init.d/rcS.local and then it won’t load on boot)
    Last edited by Tony T; 2022-06-03 at 16:21.
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

  3. #3
    Senior Member Tony T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by threej View Post
    I have six Squeezebox Radios rendered effectively useless by disconnects.
    Also consider using a WiFi to Ethernet Dongle if wlanpoke doesn’t work for you.
    This works for me: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014SK2H6W...JT66ABSFVXWMKJ
    See also: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post981596
    Last edited by Tony T; 2022-06-03 at 11:59.
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

  4. #4
    Member threej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    30
    Thank you, Tony T. I very much appreciate your directions and intend to implement them soonest.

    Two questions about Vonets:
    If using the radio powered via its battery, can one still use the Vonets adapter?
    If so, does it reduce battery life much?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Tony T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,230
    No, the Vonets only works when the SB Radio is connected to a power outlet.
    I have 4 Radio’s (and a Touch). 3 Radios I never move and keep on power with Vonets, the 4th I use as a portable. Wlanpoke helps, but eventually the WiFi connection is lost and I have to re-boot (interference from my next door neighbor)
    Last edited by Tony T; 2022-06-03 at 19:13.
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

  6. #6
    Member threej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    30
    I will see what Wlanpoke does for me, then, as I place my Radios in stereo pairs along the perimeter of my deck when dining there or when guests are over and outside during comfortable weather — no easy access to electrical outlets. It had been nice to have a seamless musical transition from inside to the deck. As things now stand, without Wlanpoke, they are no longer practicable.

    The disconnect behavior appears to have begun around the time of my Nest Mesh installation. I wonder if that is coincidental or causative.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Tony T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,230
    More likely a neighbor’s WiFi 6 is causing the interference.
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by threej View Post

    The disconnect behavior appears to have begun around the time of my Nest Mesh installation. I wonder if that is coincidental or causative.
    It could be. See if it uses the Wifi6 standard. If yes, see if you can turn it off for the 2.4 Ghz band. That is what I have done with my ASUS router that supports WiFi6.

    Paul

  9. #9
    Member threej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    30
    Tony T,
    Just back from extended vacation and had a chance to implement your instructions.

    When your directions say: "Now, on the Radio" and "On the Radio" I'm not sure if I'm still using Terminal or somehow making entries on the Radio itself.
    I must be missing something, as I cannot list (ls) any added files on the Radio, and I cannot get Safari to open the Radio's address.
    I can use Terminal although am far from expert at this sort of thing.
    I very much appreciate your advice and hope you can clear up my misunderstandings.

    John

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Use Mac’s Terminal App to log into each SB Radio
    (on the Radio, Settings->Advanced->Remote Login, and select Enable — The Radio’s address will be displayed)
    Then in Mac’s Terminal, enter (replacing the x’s with your radio’s address.):
    Code:
     
    ssh -oKexAlgorithms=+diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 -c aes128-cbc xxx.xxx.xx.xxx -l root
    Password is 1234

    Now, on the Radio, make a directory for wlanpoke in /etc
    Code:
    cd /etc
    #check:
    pwd 
    mkdir wlanpoke
    cd wlanpoke
    #check
    pwd
    On the Mac, download the file from https://github.com/PomDev2/wlanpoke.git
    (Click the green Code, and D/L to Mac's Desktop)
    Unzip on Mac's Desktop

    Make the following change to the last line in rcS.local.example in the folder you just unzipped
    (Drag the file to Mac's TectEdit Program):

    Code:
    # Edit to last line of rcS.local.example
    /etc/wlanpoke/wlanpoke.sh -x -W quick &
    Copy the files to the Radio (replace MY name with YOURS, and the x's with your Radio’s address)
    Code:
    scp -oKexAlgorithms=+diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 -c aes128-cbc /Users/Tony/Desktop/wlanpoke-main/* root@xxx.xxx.xx.xxx:/etc/wlanpoke
    On the Radio, enter "ls", and you should see the files.

    Now, on the Radio:
    Code:
    chmod 755 /etc/wlanpoke/*.sh
    chmod 755 /etc/wlanpoke/rcS.local.example
    cp  /etc/wlanpoke/rcS.local.example  /etc/init.d/rcS.local

    Reboot the Radio.
    Check that its working:
    In Safari, enter http://xxx.xxx.xx.xxx:8080 (again, replace the x's with your SB Radio Addesss)
    and if its running, you'll see: Wireless LAN Statistics

    Hope this helps

    P.S. If you later want to uninstall, you can rm -Rf /etc/wlanpoke and rm /etc/init.d/rcS.local
    (or just rm /etc/init.d/rcS.local and then it won’t load on boot)

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK/London
    Posts
    5,825
    Whn When you issue the "ssh" command indicated you should see a prompt for the password ...
    Enter that (earlier instructions show what it is).

    You should now still be "in" the ssh session and be connected to the Radio.
    Now everything that you type in that session are being executed on the Radio.
    So where it says something about typing on the Radio then it means enter it in the ssh session.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •