Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Power out, can't connect to local server

We had a windstorm. Nine people killed. Power out for days. No internet service at home via our provider. Using a generator. But never mind, I am unable to listen to music.

My mobile app is Squeeze Control, but same situation occurs in Orange Squeeze. Not an interface issue. I'm using pcp as the server app.

Since there is no internet available through the local network, my devices connect to wifi but report no internet. This should not be a problem, since I am wanting to access a local resource. But the local server is identified, apparently, but a music library is not found when connecting through wifi. I can see the library through the ethernet connected desktop PC, both through the pcp interface and samba.

My control apps however just do not find the library. They identify the server but can't access content. I thought it might be the way my new phone was treating a wifi connection without internet access, so fired up my old phone to check, and it had the same problem.

Any ideas?

Ron
    LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare

No real ideas, but have you tried disabling mysqueezebox.com integration?
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Ron;

so sorry to hear about the impact of the storm. I am just across lake ontario from you, spend most of the summer near Watertown, NY, so I was unaware.

We get very frequent power outages in my summer place, so I have (unfortunately) have some experience in this area.

I run LMS only on a pi with pcP. Mine do not recover well from power failures, but most of the time it becomes apparent via internet radio. I also have run my system without internet (local libraries only) no problem.

A couple of thoughts:

Reboot your pi - through your PC interface (assuming pcP). I have seen where I can "see" libraries, players, on the sb ecosystem/LMS but they aren't really there.

Maybe you corrupted your pi's SD card. If the power cut when LMS was accessing it's cache, and that was on the SD, maybe that got corrupted

Finally, my system behaves on a generator, but I have other things that don't. A generator produces a square waveform, where utility power is a sine waveform. Most devices can integrate this (smooth out the square into a sort of sine), but some can't. I would think that your power bricks should be able to generate the DC from a square or sine, but who knows. I tend to suspect "what's different"

oh, I also go back to the good old LMS UI (or Material) when struggling, especially is pi and PC are on ethernet, just to minimize variables.

Jim

> A generator produces a square waveform, where utility power is a sine waveform

No, they don't. Generators produce sine waves, but the frequency and amplitude are often not as consistent as the power provided by your utility. That's what causes the problems.

We got hit with that same storm and power was out for only 16 hours here. Most of my important lights are now using LED bulbs and while on my generator they were flashing like a bad disco. It was better to live in the dark. But sump pumps, well pumps and refrigerators worked OK.

I do want to replace my 25 year old portable generator with something new, with better power.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sargent View Post
    > A generator produces a square waveform, where utility power is a sine waveform

No, they don't. Generators produce sine waves, but the frequency and amplitude are often not as consistent as the power provided by your utility. That's what causes the problems.

We got hit with that same storm and power was out for only 16 hours here. Most of my important lights are now using LED bulbs and while on my generator they were flashing like a bad disco. It was better to live in the dark. But sump pumps, well pumps and refrigerators worked OK.

I do want to replace my 25 year old portable generator with something new, with better power.

Mike
    of course you are right, it's not square, my brain swapped devices with standard light dimmers. But it's not only the frequency and amplitude, the biggest problem encountered is harmonics. In other words, cheap generators may produce a waveform that only resembles a sine wave. That's why simple inductive loads like a light bulb, pumps, etc. integrate the lower well, and LED light bulbs, not so much.

I have extended power outages (in the watertown location) 2-3 times a summer (tall trees + wind). Some of my LED bulbs work fine, and some don't. My audio gear, TV, raku, etc all work fine.

But my point to Ron is, if things are "different" while on the generator, it could be the generator power.

I read about the storm after Ron posted. Sone crazy stuff develops across the great lakes, for sure. Best for a speedy recovery...

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    of course you are right, it's not square, my brain swapped devices with standard light dimmers. But it's not only the frequency and amplitude, the biggest problem encountered is harmonics. In other words, cheap generators may produce a waveform that only resembles a sine wave. That's why simple inductive loads like a light bulb, pumps, etc. integrate the lower well, and LED light bulbs, not so much.

I have extended power outages (in the watertown location) 2-3 times a summer (tall trees + wind). Some of my LED bulbs work fine, and some don't. My audio gear, TV, raku, etc all work fine.

But my point to Ron is, if things are "different" while on the generator, it could be the generator power.

I read about the storm after Ron posted. Sone crazy stuff develops across the great lakes, for sure. Best for a speedy recovery...

Jim
    Cheap inverters tend to have modified square wave outputs with the same peak and RMS value as a sine wave.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    No real ideas, but have you tried disabling mysqueezebox.com integration?
    Just reporting that when I've had internet outages I can still access my local music and play via my local network (wifi or ethernet connected devices), even though in LMS I still have "mysqueezebox.com" integration turned on. Also using rPi running piCorePlayer as LMS server. So not sure that "mysb.com" has anything to do with it. But it is an odd problem.....

p.s. In one location of mine, if the internet goes out, it takes 10 or 15 minutes before my router reverts to working correctly for the local network without internet access. This is a combined modem/router for an old school DSL connection (sadly all that's available in this more remote location).
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    ....Since there is no internet available through the local network, my devices connect to wifi but report no internet. This should not be a problem, since I am wanting to access a local resource. But the local server is identified, apparently, but a music library is not found when connecting through wifi. I can see the library through the ethernet connected desktop PC, both through the pcp interface and samba.

My control apps however just do not find the library. They identify the server but can't access content. I thought it might be the way my new phone was treating a wifi connection without internet access, so fired up my old phone to check, and it had the same problem.
    Gary, you mentioned being able to view the library over ethernet through the pcp interface and samba. What about the LMS default web view? <server_IP>:9000

This is just to confirm that LMS can still access the library. It should be, since piCorePlayer sees it, but it could be helpful to be certain.
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    Gary, you mentioned being able to view the library over ethernet through the pcp interface and samba. What about the LMS default web view? <server_IP>:9000

This is just to confirm that LMS can still access the library. It should be, since piCorePlayer sees it, but it could be helpful to be certain.
    yes. Can view, browse, select, and play music from LMS default web view.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    yes. Can view, browse, select, and play music from LMS default web view.
    Thanks. So it is, strictly as you originally stated: clients connecting over wifi can connect to LMS, but then LMS reports through those clients that it cannot access the library. Is that an accurate summary?

Anything in server logs that sheds any light? This is very much a long shot, but is it possible that there is more than one instance of LMS currently running on your purely local network? That the wifi clients are connecting through one instance and the ethernet-connected computer to another?