Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Jim, on the other hand, you're surrounded by some of the most beautiful nature in the world. So maybe this is a sign to get off TV, get off the internet, get off the phone and enjoy.

(that said, I'm in the same position at my cottage, and my wife tells everyone that I'm only happy if the internet is working)
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

My apologies all. As noted we've had some adventures. We, fortunately, had virtually no damage ourselves, but the extensive trail network (hiking, biking) adjacent to us had over 400 trees down. That's counting ONLY those that came down across trails. Our closest town, where we shop, has a micro-brewery. The whole brewery building was destroyed and blown away, leaving the brew tanks standing majestically. I mention that because I'm right now drinking one of their brews, probably the last for some time. No deaths in our immediate vicinity, though, thank goodness.

To summarize, we had good quality generator power that was used to power various aspects of the house. This included various electronics, most through good quality UPS devices. The Pi (with pcP) is the base for my music setup. Throughout the interlude (4.5 days) when we had only generator power, all of this worked well, aside from LMS. I could see my music library from my desktop device over ethernet and samba. What I could not see was my music library within LMS, either through mobile apps or the default web-based UI via ethernet. Just not there.

At the same time as this was happening, our internet connection was out. It is a wireless (microwave band) service that is our best option for internet. Not bad. It runs from various towers all of which are power dependent. Our tower lost power at the same time as we did (being just a short distance away), and hence we had no internet connection. It was temporarily confusing, as the storm and power outage happened 2 or 3 hours before the internet went out; they have robust UPS/battery arrangements in the towers, which carried things for a while. I have wondered about a newly available 5g service from our mobile provider (Bell), but our mobile network was out for almost as long as our power.

Since locally we could see everything over the network, and since LMS was the only utility apparently unable to find the music library, my assumption was that it was something to do with the absence of an internet connection. This was seemingly confirmed when the internet service came back BEFORE the devices were off the generator power and back to mains power. At that point, with the devices still being run from the generator panel, I was able to have LMS see the music library.

Ergo, the problem must have been lack of internet connection.

I never use mysqueezebox.com at all, never have, ever. I use LMS only locally. I wonder, though, if something in the way LMS is configured requires access to mysqueezebox.com. I can't see what, but I'm no LMS expert.

I'd like to know before the next power outage.

Ron
    Last edited by RonM; 2022-05-28 at 19:21.
    LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare

Ron, thanks for letting us know how things stand. Glad you're okay, but still sad for so much destruction.

When things are settled down, would you be willing to try an experiment? For a brief time, disconnect the internet feed from your router, reboot the router and the Pi running pCP. That should be a way to confirm if lack of internet access causes the problem.
    Last edited by RobbH; 2022-05-28 at 21:12. Reason: grammar
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    Ron, thanks for letting us know how things stand. Glad you're okay, but still sad for so much destruction.

When things are settled down, would you be willing to try an experiment? For a brief time, disconnect the internet feed from your router, reboot the router and the Pi running pCP. That should be a way to confirm if lack of internet access causes the problem.
    One of the reasons I acquired a separate router was because the hub my ISP supplied refused to allow the WiFi (or ethernet?) to operate when the internet was down so I couldn't listen to local music. Probably a different scenario to this one but I am sure that my LMS works without internet connection.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    One of the reasons I acquired a separate router was because the hub my ISP supplied refused to allow the WiFi (or ethernet?) to operate when the internet was down so I couldn't listen to local music. Probably a different scenario to this one but I am sure that my LMS works without internet connection.

Good call. This would explain why so many of us have no problem running locally with no isp present. The specific router. I have always run an Asus RT-X66u (where X = n, or ac) with the isp's modem, router in bridged mode, or router with wifi radios turned off. For local music, it doesn't even care if internet is present. Perhaps the ISP is preventing you from repurposing their router should you move to another carrier.

@RonM - thanks for the update on your adventure. Curious, were these mostly live trees? I ask because on our side of the lake we had the majority of our Ash trees killed by the emerald ash borer. There are allot of huge dead ash trees (many on my property, away from the house thankfully) just waiting for their chance to drop. There is a wooded state part on Grand Island NY called Buckhorn that looks like a hurricane blew through (primarily ash). The workers used chainsaws and a lot of man hours to clear the biking/walking paths and its a bizarre experience travellingthrough there

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    Good call. This would explain why so many of us have no problem running locally with no isp present. The specific router. I have always run an Asus RT-X66u (where X = n, or ac) with the isp's modem, router in bridged mode, or router with wifi radios turned off. For local music, it doesn't even care if internet is present. Perhaps the ISP is preventing you from repurposing their router should you move to another carrier.

@RonM - thanks for the update on your adventure. Curious, were these mostly live trees? I ask because on our side of the lake we had the majority of our Ash trees killed by the emerald ash borer. There are allot of huge dead ash trees (many on my property, away from the house thankfully) just waiting for their chance to drop. There is a wooded state part on Grand Island NY called Buckhorn that looks like a hurricane blew through (primarily ash). The workers used chainsaws and a lot of man hours to clear the biking/walking paths and its a bizarre experience travellingthrough there

Jim
    The hub they supply is a combined cable modem and router so like you I run it in modem only mode.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    The hub they supply is a combined cable modem and router so like you I run it in modem only mode.

right, and sometimes they offer a bridged mode, and sometimes not. I have been told when they don't, just turn the radios off. I had done that before. My current isp is seperate modem and router, and I save $5/month by using mine

I think this is a good next step for Ron. You can buy a simple one cheap, or spend a little bit more. My wifi range and wall penetration increased significantly with a better router for about $80USD. You might not always need the range, but if you are say streaming to phone and walking around, it helps.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    right, and sometimes they offer a bridged mode, and sometimes not. I have been told when they don't, just turn the radios off. I had done that before. My current isp is seperate modem and router, and I save $5/month by using mine

I think this is a good next step for Ron. You can buy a simple one cheap, or spend a little bit more. My wifi range and wall penetration increased significantly with a better router for about $80USD. You might not always need the range, but if you are say streaming to phone and walking around, it helps.

Jim
    The router I use is a higher end Asus, not supplied by the ISP; the internet was actually down, had nothing to do with the router (I had conversations with the ISP). We have had many power outs, during which the internet (and LMS) worked fine on generator power.i use a better grade of router in order to get coverage throughout the house.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare

Ok, we are just trying to help, my and others lms works fine without internet, guess your situation is just unique for some reason. Best of luck

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    The router I use is a higher end Asus, not supplied by the ISP; the internet was actually down, had nothing to do with the router (I had conversations with the ISP). We have had many power outs, during which the internet (and LMS) worked fine on generator power.i use a better grade of router in order to get coverage throughout the house.

R.
    Ron, if you have been able to use LMS during previous power outages, what has changed in your setup since the last time you used LMS on generator power?
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.