Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Only to processes from squeezelite are listed. When squeezelite is stopped, it is empty.

Code:
    fuser -v /dev/snd/*
                         USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
    /dev/snd/pcmC1D0p:   mk   1162 F...m squeezelite
    /dev/snd/timer:      mk   1162 f.... squeezelite

Quote Originally Posted by King_Crimson View Post
    Only to processes from squeezelite are listed. When squeezelite is stopped, it is empty.
    I still suspect "system sounds" in some way but I can't find anyway to list current users of "dmix".

Default is still your UD501 which is CARD 1
    The NVIDIA is CARD 0 - I wonder why it is not picked as "default" ? The HDMI screen does have an working audio (e.g. speakers)

IIRC There are ways to specify the default card using a asound.conf but you may be able to force it by just removing the UD501 and reboot the system with NVIDIA HDMI screen connected.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    The NVIDIA is CARD 0 - I wonder why it is not picked as "default" ? The HDMI screen does have an working audio (e.g. speakers)

IIRC There are ways to specify the default card using a asound.conf but you may be able to force it by just removing the UD501 and reboot the system with NVIDIA HDMI screen connected.
    The Nvidia was only connected to a speakerless monitor during system installation and is now unconnected. I'm also quite sure that the hw:UD501 or front:UD501 was the device that worked in the past. Same hardware, but originally installed with Ubuntu 16.04 and updated to 20.04 over the years. The last update to 22.04 failed for some reason, and I had to do a fresh install.

I will try the asound.conf when I have more time...

The Nvidia was only connected to a speakerless monitor during system installation and is now unconnected. I'm also quite sure that the hw:UD501 or front:UD501 was the device that worked in the past. Same hardware, but originally installed with Ubuntu 16.04 and updated to 20.04 over the years. The last update to 22.04 failed for some reason, and I had to do a fresh install.

I will try the asound.conf when I have more time...
    As a test to see if "default" is really the issues - do you have a cheap USB audio adapter. Make sure cheap USB is plugged in when booting and plugin UD501 later. That way default should go to the cheap USB.

The PC motherboard - does it have audio hardware builtin and could it have been disabled by latest Ubuntu ?

As a test to see if "default" is really the issues - do you have a cheap USB audio adapter. Make sure cheap USB is plugged in when booting and plugin UD501 later. That way default should go to the cheap USB.

The PC motherboard - does it have audio hardware builtin and could it have been disabled by latest Ubuntu ?
    Thanks bpa, I will try this next week. I have USB headphones that I can use as "cheap USB audio adapter" I think. I will check the onboard audio as well.

I did some further testing, and the problem seems to be that 44.1kHz cannot be played.

If I call speaker-test at different rates, 48kHz, 96kHz etc. over the hw:UD-501 device, it works and noise can be heard.
    Code:
    speaker-test -Dhw:CARD=UD501,DEV=0 -c2 -r48000 -F S32_LE

speaker-test 1.2.6

Playback device is hw:CARD=UD501,DEV=0
    Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S32_LE, 2 channels
    Using 16 octaves of pink noise
    Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
    Buffer size range from 16 to 96000
    Period size range from 8 to 48000
    Using max buffer size 96000
    Periods = 4
    was set period_size = 24000
    was set buffer_size = 96000
     0 - Front Left
     1 - Front Right
    Time per period = 3,994304
    But if I set the rate to 44100, it fails.

Code:
    speaker-test -Dhw:CARD=UD501,DEV=0 -c2 -r44100 -F S32_LE

speaker-test 1.2.6

Playback device is hw:CARD=UD501,DEV=0
    Stream parameters are 44100Hz, S32_LE, 2 channels
    Using 16 octaves of pink noise
    Rate set to 44100Hz (requested 44100Hz)
    Buffer size range from 16 to 88200
    Period size range from 8 to 44100
    Using max buffer size 88200
    Periods = 4
    Unable to set hw params for playback: No such device or address
    Setting of hwparams failed: No such device or address
    Next I called squeezelite with a rate set to 96000. The errors shown in my first post do not appear, and a 96kHz audio file can be played and is heard on my headphones (but audio files with other rates do not work).

Code:
    squeezelite -o hw:CARD=UD501,DEV=0 -r 96000-96000 -d all=debug
    What I have also tried: I installed piCoreplayer on my old Raspbery Pi 1, and squeezelite has the same issues here, same error messages.

Maybe the newer Linux Kernel or Alsa versions have a problem with the UD-501? As mentioned in my first post, everything worked without issues for years on the same hardware, but the software now has newer versions.

Any further ideas?
    Thanks in advance!

I did some further testing, and the problem seems to be that 44.1kHz cannot be played.
    As It's been a while. Can you confirm the setup before you did the test trying other sample rates.

1. A cheap USB audio adapter inserted and System was using it as "Default" and it plays audio.
    2. UD-501 then inserted and confirmed that "default" is still the cheap US dongle and audio plays as before.

To test the theory about older version - you could install an old version on a separate card - I think they may be still available.

As It's been a while. Can you confirm the setup before you did the test trying other sample rates.

1. A cheap USB audio adapter inserted and System was using it as "Default" and it plays audio.
    2. UD-501 then inserted and confirmed that "default" is still the cheap US dongle and audio plays as before.
    Thanks for the fast response, bpa! I forgot to mention, that I tried this with the cheap USB a while ago. I'm not really sure how to check which is the default. If I remember right, aplay displayed more than one default.

But for the moment, I think I've found a workaround.

Code:
    squeezelite -o hw:CARD=UD501,DEV=0 -a 120:4::1 -r 384000-384000 -R v::4:28:95:105:45
    This upsamples all audio files to 384kHz. The upsampling filter settings are from the Archimago blog ("Goldilocks settings"). With these I can play also all 44.1k files.

The next I have to try: playing DSD files (not working now), copy the squeezelite settings into the config file and hoping it does also work, when squeezelite is started as service.

Thanks, bpa!
    Last edited by King_Crimson; 2022-06-25 at 04:40.

This thread seems to indicated that something happened between pcp 8.1 and 8.2

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...=1#post1056907

That is interesting, there really seems to be a problem with 44100 based rates in the 5.15 Linux kernel, which is used by piCore and also Ubuntu 22.04. Maybe a future update will include the patch.

For now I am fine with the workaround I mentioned in my last post.