Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by allwi View Post
    ... VOILA: when I now sync the player and change the volume of any of the sync players, the volume of the other player remains unchanged
    I guess that some detail was not set correctly which caused this strange behaviour.
    Well, too early The first changes of the volume were fine but now it's back to the coupled behaviour.
    I only tested it within a track, i.e. nothing else was changed while the track was playing. The first two changes didn't affect the other player but from the third one onwards, I have the linked behaviour again.
    Not a deal breaker but a bit annoying.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Doea it make sense to report this issue somewhere? I know that the LMS is offered as beta, so not sure if it's actually actively supported/developed and where to report issues.

Well, too early The first changes of the volume were fine but now it's back to the coupled behaviour.
    I only tested it within a track, i.e. nothing else was changed while the track was playing. The first two changes didn't affect the other player but from the third one onwards, I have the linked behaviour again.
    Not a deal breaker but a bit annoying.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Doea it make sense to report this issue somewhere? I know that the LMS is offered as beta, so not sure if it's actually actively supported/developed and where to report issues.
    I'm a bit unclear as to what happened between "solved" and "argh, it's back". Specifically, you mention "first two changes" then "third onward" changes to the settings, songs?

From what I read you went from dont sync->sync->don't sync->restart LMS through pcP UI. Then you synced (1,2,..4?) players, played a song, it was ok, then what happened?

I am wondering a few things -
    did you stop the playback, maybe choose a different track, and restart it and it was back? Or, did it finish the first track, then just reappear?
    did you always start and stop with the same player as the master? did you unsync and resync players and that caused it?
    You said you restarted LMS through your pcP interface. Have you tried rebooting each pcP player?

I am really grasping at straws here. A few more wild guesses - do you have a SB device (radio, touch, etc) you could bring into the fray? Also one thing might be to grab a new uSD card and rebuild one or more of your players (just to test) back to "stock" and see what happens. If it's futile you can always just plug your uSD back in. One of the beauties of pcP is it is so easy to build, even just to test.

You could also rebuild (new uSD, temp, to test) your LMS pcP to a basic simple state with a usb stick with an albums worth of music and see how "stock" behaves.

I tend to start trying to eliminate variables when things like this happen. For example, with a new fresh stock player(s), if it behaves as badly, you can almost bet it's LMS. Rebuilding a basic LMS to test would confirm/deny this. I have spent many hours staring at a circuit or software saying "it can't be doing this, it's not possible" (physics would disagree ), and only when I start isolating sections, narrowing it down, would I find it. That or, asking a much smarter friend with a fresh set of eyes

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I'm a bit unclear as to what happened between "solved" and "argh, it's back". Specifically, you mention "first two changes" then "third onward" changes to the settings, songs?

From what I read you went from dont sync->sync->don't sync->restart LMS through pcP UI. Then you synced (1,2,..4?) players, played a song, it was ok, then what happened?

I am wondering a few things -
    did you stop the playback, maybe choose a different track, and restart it and it was back? Or, did it finish the first track, then just reappear?
    did you always start and stop with the same player as the master? did you unsync and resync players and that caused it?
    You said you restarted LMS through your pcP interface. Have you tried rebooting each pcP player?

I am really grasping at straws here. A few more wild guesses - do you have a SB device (radio, touch, etc) you could bring into the fray? Also one thing might be to grab a new uSD card and rebuild one or more of your players (just to test) back to "stock" and see what happens. If it's futile you can always just plug your uSD back in. One of the beauties of pcP is it is so easy to build, even just to test.

You could also rebuild (new uSD, temp, to test) your LMS pcP to a basic simple state with a usb stick with an albums worth of music and see how "stock" behaves.

I tend to start trying to eliminate variables when things like this happen. For example, with a new fresh stock player(s), if it behaves as badly, you can almost bet it's LMS. Rebuilding a basic LMS to test would confirm/deny this. I have spent many hours staring at a circuit or software saying "it can't be doing this, it's not possible" (physics would disagree ), and only when I start isolating sections, narrowing it down, would I find it. That or, asking a much smarter friend with a fresh set of eyes

Jim
    I got the impression the first couple of times the volume of a player was changed the volume of the other player was not affected. The third time the volume was changed the other player was affected. Very strange.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    I got the impression the first couple of times the volume of a player was changed the volume of the other player was not affected. The third time the volume was changed the other player was affected. Very strange.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    ohhh...so the "change" is the volume, not the settings, or tracks. Makes sense. I guess I got thrown off by him mentioning it worked for the first track.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Yep, that's correct - I started a track, synchronised two players and then (will this one track was playing)
    1. decreased the volume of player A -> volume of player B not changed
    2. increased the volume of player A to 100% -> volume of player B not changed
    3. decreased the volume of player A to 75% -> volume of player B decreased by 1/4 of the previous volume
    4. increased the volume of player B by 1/3 (i.e. back to the previous level) -> volume of player A increased by 1/3rd to 100%

I have 4 players in total but only tested this with two of them (because I can hear both of them easily from one room).
    I will test this with the other players and rebuild LMS/the players to get a clean start (I enabled and disabled several plugins like group player. Not sure, if there are some artefacts left).
    I will let you know when I have a clear understanding and reproducible behaviour - or when I solved the issue after a clean install.

As said before: Many thanks for your help!

Yep, that's correct - I started a track, synchronised two players and then (will this one track was playing)
    1. decreased the volume of player A -> volume of player B not changed
    2. increased the volume of player A to 100% -> volume of player B not changed
    3. decreased the volume of player A to 75% -> volume of player B decreased by 1/4 of the previous volume
    4. increased the volume of player B by 1/3 (i.e. back to the previous level) -> volume of player A increased by 1/3rd to 100%

I have 4 players in total but only tested this with two of them (because I can hear both of them easily from one room).
    I will test this with the other players and rebuild LMS/the players to get a clean start (I enabled and disabled several plugins like group player. Not sure, if there are some artefacts left).
    I will let you know when I have a clear understanding and reproducible behaviour - or when I solved the issue after a clean install.

As said before: Many thanks for your help!
    a couple of random thoughts:

step #2 took the player to 100%, then the volume sync engaged. I wonder if 100% has something to do with it (i.e. what if it was 90%)?

I wonder what would happen if you set each player to "fixed volume", then back to variable. Maybe that would "reset" the bunch of rouge bits that are causing this? Settings->player->audio->volume control (Checking, I see this is available on my touch, but not radio or boom, is it available on squeezelite players?)

Jim

To check whether something is messing with the server.prefs that controls sync behaviour
    Look at server.prefs for each player
    syncPower
    syncVolume