Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Change volume independently of synced player

Hi,

sorry for the beginner question, especially when it's already answered (but I didn't find a thread about this).
    Is is possible to change the volume independently for a player when I have multiple players sync?

I use picoreplayer with LMS on multiple Raspberry Pis. When I sync two players, e.g. Kitchen and Dining, I can change the volume which will change the volume of both players.
    But when I realise that the volume e.g. in the kitchen is too high (but for dining it's fine), can I decrease the volume only for the player in the kitchen?

I use LMS with material skin. When I choose "Manage Players", I see the sync group and also the volume of the two players but even I drag the slider of one of the individual players, it also affect the volume of the sync group and the other player

Quote Originally Posted by allwi View Post
    Hi,

sorry for the beginner question, especially when it's already answered (but I didn't find a thread about this).
    Is is possible to change the volume independently for a player when I have multiple players sync?

I use picoreplayer with LMS on multiple Raspberry Pis. When I sync two players, e.g. Kitchen and Dining, I can change the volume which will change the volume of both players.
    But when I realise that the volume e.g. in the kitchen is too high (but for dining it's fine), can I decrease the volume only for the player in the kitchen?

I use LMS with material skin. When I choose "Manage Players", I see the sync group and also the volume of the two players but even I drag the slider of one of the individual players, it also affect the volume of the sync group and the other player
    There is a setting in Player Settings/Synchronise where you can choose whether to sync volume.Name:  Screenshot_20220522-101255.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  54.5 KB

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    There is a setting in Player Settings/Synchronise where you can choose whether to sync volume.Name:  Screenshot_20220522-101255.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  54.5 KB

OUCH!!! I completely missed the drop down selection in the extra settings and only saw the Basic Settings.

However when I set both synced players to 'not sync volume', the volume of one player still changes when I increase the volume of the other.
    It seems that I can't upload the screenshots directly. So here are the links to Google Drive
    Settings
    Volume change

Any idea?

OUCH!!! I completely missed the drop down selection in the extra settings and only saw the Basic Settings.

However when I set both synced players to 'not sync volume', the volume of one player still changes when I increase the volume of the other.
    It seems that I can't upload the screenshots directly. So here are the links to Google Drive
    Settings
    Volume change

Any idea?
    I just tried synchronising two players with volume sync disabled and changing volume on one did not affect the other. When I enabled volume sync the volume of both players became exactly the same when I changed the volume of one player.
    The volumes of your two players are different even though they both change, I don't see that behaviour with either volume sync setting.
    I assume you are not using the "Group Player" plugin, that handles volume differently.

A couple things if I might~

@alwii - I "think" that you cannot add images to posts until you have a minimum number of posts, which I believe is 3. The same restriction exists for PM. I look for the ability after 3 posts.

I also want to clarify, you say "I use picoreplayer with LMS on multiple Raspberry Pis" I assume you mean that you only have one instance of LMS running on something, not multiple instances of LMS?

When you changed your setting to don't sync volume, did you restart LMS? Not sure it's needed, but maybe worth mentioning/trying. Also, I still use the original LMS UI for settings (only) and there is an "apply" that needs to be selected after the change.

@slarti - good call on group players plugin, but, I think we would see a group in his screenshots. I played around with group players, but kind of abandoned it. I am wondering if maybe group players might be of use in this situation? Make a group that is "kitchen and bookshelf" and setup to not sync volume, and play that group when you want to have them sync'ed. Just a thought.

Jim

Sorry for the delay - I had some issues with my wifi network. Unrelated but stay away from Netgear Orbi ...

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I also want to clarify, you say "I use picoreplayer with LMS on multiple Raspberry Pis" I assume you mean that you only have one instance of LMS running on something, not multiple instances of LMS?
    Hi Jim, sorry, I was a bit lazy when typing. Yes, you are correct: I have several (four) Pis with picoreplayer and LMS installed on one of them.

When you changed your setting to don't sync volume, did you restart LMS? Not sure it's needed, but maybe worth mentioning/trying. Also, I still use the original LMS UI for settings (only) and there is an "apply" that needs to be selected after the change.
    Yes, I restarted LMS - not initially but when it didn't work at first, I thought: it cannot hurt ...
    How can I use the standard LMS UI for the settings (only). I tried to disable the material plugin but the result is a webpage in the same layout as the material plugin but with default fonts, background and without any layout.

@slarti - good call on group players plugin, but, I think we would see a group in his screenshots. I played around with group players, but kind of abandoned it. I am wondering if maybe group players might be of use in this situation? Make a group that is "kitchen and bookshelf" and setup to not sync volume, and play that group when you want to have them sync'ed. Just a thought.
    I used the group player plugin initially but couldn't find the "not sync volume" setting, so I use the "normal sync". I even removed the group player plugin to ensure that I don't get unintended side effects.
    Still when I set "do not sync volume" on two players, then sync the two players and then change the volume on any of them, the volume of the other changes are well.
    As you can see in the one screen shot - it's not the same percentage number but the same percentage of the start volume. E.g. when I have one player at 50% and the other at 25% and then increase player 1 to 100% (double the volume percent), the volume of player 2 increases to 50% (also double).

How can I use the standard LMS UI for the settings (only). I tried to disable the material plugin but the result is a webpage in the same layout as the material plugin but with default fonts, background and without any layout.
    Open the LMS default UI, http://192.168.1.114:9000/Default/ (change IP address to suit), click settings bottom right, make it a favourite. Or copy the URL from the address bar and make a desktop shortcut.
    Last edited by kidstypike; 2022-05-27 at 23:59.
    LMS server/study player - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.1.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > Topping E30 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Echo Show 8
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, 1xDAC32, 1xCORE32

I used the group player plugin initially but couldn't find the "not sync volume" setting, so I use the "normal sync". I even removed the group player plugin to ensure that I don't get unintended side effects.
    Still when I set "do not sync volume" on two players, then sync the two players and then change the volume on any of them, the volume of the other changes are well.
    As you can see in the one screen shot - it's not the same percentage number but the same percentage of the start volume. E.g. when I have one player at 50% and the other at 25% and then increase player 1 to 100% (double the volume percent), the volume of player 2 increases to 50% (also double).
    @KTP answered the default UI question. Maybe it's me, but for settings I always use this UI, maybe it's because of using it for so many years. I'm comfortable with where things are.

I'm drawing a bit of a blank on your issue. I have only used sync with separate volume, so I have never synced, then unsynced volume. The only thing I can repeat, to make sure, is to restart LMS after changing back to don't sync volume. In the default UI->settings, if you make this change, AND a restart is required, you will get a dialog box that tells you so, something like "changes have been made, restart server now or later". Also, again, make sure you hit "apply" lower right corner. Easy to forget about, because, for example, with pcP, change take without an apply.

But deep in the dark infrequently visited area of my brain, I remember seeing a thread where volume of synced players would jump to 100% Was it the community firmware? Others, please help me here. For clarity, when you say you change your one player from 50->100, and the other changes from 25->50, you can choose a value in between and the other mirrors the %? Example 50->75, 25->37?

I am also assuming you have tried rebooting all of your players, even the ones not involved, just to try?

Jim

@KTP answered the default UI question. Maybe it's me, but for settings I always use this UI, maybe it's because of using it for so many years. I'm comfortable with where things are.

I'm drawing a bit of a blank on your issue. I have only used sync with separate volume, so I have never synced, then unsynced volume. The only thing I can repeat, to make sure, is to restart LMS after changing back to don't sync volume. In the default UI->settings, if you make this change, AND a restart is required, you will get a dialog box that tells you so, something like "changes have been made, restart server now or later". Also, again, make sure you hit "apply" lower right corner. Easy to forget about, because, for example, with pcP, change take without an apply.

But deep in the dark infrequently visited area of my brain, I remember seeing a thread where volume of synced players would jump to 100% Was it the community firmware? Others, please help me here. For clarity, when you say you change your one player from 50->100, and the other changes from 25->50, you can choose a value in between and the other mirrors the %? Example 50->75, 25->37?

I am also assuming you have tried rebooting all of your players, even the ones not involved, just to try?

Jim
    The other strange thing is that if I synchronise volumes then they are exactly the same, if one player is 75 all the players are 75. I have never seen one player at 100 and another at 50.

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Open the LMS default UI, http://192.168.1.114:9000/Default/ (change IP address to suit), click settings bottom right, make it a favourite. Or copy the URL from the address bar and make a desktop shortcut.
    Cool thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    The other strange thing is that if I synchronise volumes then they are exactly the same, if one player is 75 all the players are 75. I have never seen one player at 100 and another at 50.
    I tested this (more further down) and when I have both players set to synchronise the volume, I also see that both players have the same level, i.e. the volume of the second player is set to the volume of the primary player.
    However when I had "do not sync volume" each player kept it's volume initially but when the volume of any of the player was changed later on, the volume of the other player was also changed.

The only thing I can repeat, to make sure, is to restart LMS after changing back to don't sync volume. In the default UI->settings, if you make this change, AND a restart is required, you will get a dialog box that tells you so, something like "changes have been made, restart server now or later". Also, again, make sure you hit "apply" lower right corner. Easy to forget about, because, for example, with pcP, change take without an apply.

Yes, what happened was that when I start with 50/25 and then change the first player to 75, the second one moved to 37.

Okay, now I used the default UI and tried to ensure that the settings are "completely set", i.e. I unsynchronised the players, then changed the volume sync setting of each player from "do not sync volume" to "sync volume", hit apply and back again. This way, I tried to ensure that the "do not sync" is really set.
    Although there was no "please restart" message, I restarted LMS via the picoreplayer page and ... VOILA: when I now sync the player and change the volume of any of the sync players, the volume of the other player remains unchanged
    I guess that some detail was not set correctly which caused this strange behaviour.

Anyhow - thanks to all your help, it's working now

Many thanks, not only a great and actually easy to install software but an even better community !!
    Last edited by allwi; 2022-05-29 at 00:18.