Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Advice, please-- amp board for original Pi?

I am installing hardware to convert a beautiful antique 'tombstone' radio case into an LMS player. The heart of this assemblage is and 'original' Pi B which has 26 pins. I'm having a bit of a challenge locating an amplifier board for this Pi.

I have piCore up and running with output via USB or analog. I don't really like the idea of using the headphone output as it's somewhat weak. My preference would be an amp board connected directly to speakers as it's a sanitary installation. A USB amp would be my second choice. Space is not really an issue as the original tube chassis was removed before this case came into my possession.

~dk
    Four SBR(one 'original' and three 'improved' UEs)
    Boom with Yamaha sub
    One SB2 in the workshop
    Vintage Crosley cabinet housing PiCore, amp and speakers. Great 1940s vibe!
    Rpi 3 runs LMS; music stored on NAS

I would stick with USB as there is a better chance of long-term support
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I would stick with USB as there is a better chance of long-term support
    OK- so now the next hurdle is my Pi-- original, not Rev B as originally reported, won't play with my Behringer UAC202 or UAC222. Both work fine with the Pi3 upon which resides LMS.

On the original Pi, selecting USB audio in SL settings makes no difference-- audio output is always via the analog jack. I've tried changing the entries in USB setup, and ANY entry in that field results in "Squeezelite not running" upon restart. Whether the Pi is rebooted, or just a SL restart-- maketh no difference.

One thing that occurs to me is perhaps a weak power supply. What wattage do you recommend? What I have for this is 7W.

Thanks as always,

~dk
    Boom with Yamaha sub
    One SB2 in the workshop

Do you see the device listed with
    aplay -L
    any hints of issues with
    dmesg | grep -i usb

7W does seem low ... suggests it is 1.4 Amp ... which may well be too low to power both.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by dkfackler View Post
    OK- so now the next hurdle is my Pi-- original, not Rev B as originally reported, won't play with my Behringer UAC202 or UAC222. Both work fine with the Pi3 upon which resides LMS.

On the original Pi, selecting USB audio in SL settings makes no difference-- audio output is always via the analog jack. I've tried changing the entries in USB setup, and ANY entry in that field results in "Squeezelite not running" upon restart. Whether the Pi is rebooted, or just a SL restart-- maketh no difference.

One thing that occurs to me is perhaps a weak power supply. What wattage do you recommend? What I have for this is 7W.

Thanks as always,

~dk

As Mr. Webster suggests, a change of power supply might help (the "official" raspberry pi ones are good).

What does this page report ?

Name:  old pi.png
Views: 145
Size:  78.6 KB

If it is the same model as this, then the original Wolfson DAC hat has onboard speaker connections (very low power though).

Unfortunately they are hard to find

ronnie

How do I access that page? I don't see it. This is PcP v3.02, so maybe that page doesn't exist in this version. Strange thing though, it won't update--responds 'SourceForge unavailable. Try again later.'

~dk
    Boom with Yamaha sub
    One SB2 in the workshop

Hi dkfackler,

A lot has changed since 25 September 2016.

Consider getting another SD card and try pCP8.1.0. This will enable more people to assist.

regards
    Greg