Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PowerSwitch III -- universal low voltage trigger

This plugin extends Felix's PowerSwitch II functionality so that any squeezebox client (soft or hard) can utilize a SB Classic (e.g., SB2 or SB3) or Transporter's ir/geek port to send a low volt trigger to, for e.g., power on a multi-zone amp.

Requires an SB2, SB3, or Transporter and an external relay OR a device that can accept a low voltage trigger (~3.5v)--e.g., Felix's circuit design or an amp or powerstrip that can accept a low voltage trigger. For e.g., I'm using an SB3's trigger to power on an outlet on a Belkin Pureav PF60 (which accepts triggers down to 3.3v) to power on a multizone amp being fed streams via squeezeLite (thanks to Triode for best player for headless client) running on a pogoplug (thanks to Andrew for VortexBox Vamp project for modified squeezeplug image and instructions--looking forward to v5 with--hopefully--multiple dac support so one pogoplug can support 4 squeezeLite clients/streams). Turning on squeezelite client turns on amp, and so long as any squeezelite client is on, trigger stays on--regardless of whether SB3 is "on" or sleeping (i.e., displaying time).

Plugin is located at https://github.com/motske/PowerSwitch3
    v1 works fine (unless you have more than one SB Classics/Transporters)
    Next revision (thanks Kevin M!) should solve multiple SB Classics/Transporter issue and add settings menus to webpage etc.

Does this work on Mac computer?

Power Switch II works on my Windows PC. However, I recently switched to Mac computer and Power Switch II does not work on Mac.

Can your Power Switch III work on Mac? I have 2 SB3s and 1 Transporter. Thanks.
    Main system:
    Source: Transporter, modded by ModWright: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/m...ansporter.html
    Preamp: Dude from Tube Research Labs: http://www.tuberesearchlabs.com/products/dude.html
    Amp: NP100 Platinum from AltaVista Audio: http://www.altavistaaudio.com/np100.html
    Speakers: Alto Utopia Be from Focal-JMLab: http://www.focal.com/en/home-audio-l...-utopia-be.php

Power Switch III should work on a Mac running Logitech Media Server (LMS) as it is simply a perl plugin for LMS--but then again, so should Power Switch II. I haven't used it on a mac yet (but it was written on a mac--perl is cross platform). If I ever get around to converting windows server to customac, I'll update this response. If you do try, don't forget to follow identification and proper naming conventions--which is how the plugin knows who masters (non-SB3 device) and slave (SB3 device) are--summarized at github link. Oh and sorry for delay in responding!!

Raspbian Wheezy

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but am hoping for help anyways.

I am trying to install the Powerswitch III plugin on a raspberry pi running raspbian wheezy but get this error code in the LMS log

Code:
    [15-08-26 18:09:29.3966] Slim::Utils::PluginManager::_parseInstallManifest (648) Warning: Unable to parse XML in file [/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Plugins/PowerSwitchIII/install.xml]: [
    not well-formed (invalid token) at line 33, column 70, byte 2525 at /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/XML/Parser.pm line 187
    Any idea what might be wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by nskou View Post
    Hi,

I know this is an old thread but am hoping for help anyways.

I am trying to install the Powerswitch III plugin on a raspberry pi running raspbian wheezy but get this error code in the LMS log

Code:
    [15-08-26 18:09:29.3966] Slim::Utils::PluginManager::_parseInstallManifest (648) Warning: Unable to parse XML in file [/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Plugins/PowerSwitchIII/install.xml]: [
    not well-formed (invalid token) at line 33, column 70, byte 2525 at /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/XML/Parser.pm line 187
    Any idea what might be wrong?
    Nskou,
    Sounds like install.xml has been corrupted, since it is only supposed to have 21 lines (not 33). There appears to be an extra line in the file in the original, but parser should have ignored it (does on my win box). Create an issue on GitHub so you can send us the file and we can try to sort it out. You may have to create GitHub account if you don't have one (free). Just search powerswitch3 and hit the ! on the side to create issue.
    Be curious to hear if latest raspberry pi's are fast enough as a server to keep apps like squeezepad speedy. I'm using several pogoplug e02s as players--work flawlessly with vortexbox's vamp player. Been tempted to turn one into a server and store files on cloud.
    Best regards,
    Robert

In case someone else has same problem in future, apparently wget can mangle install file when downloading file directly to raspi. Downloading from another machine and transferring file to raspi will avoid problem.

Will PowerSwitchIII work with Squeezebox Touch?

Hello. I'm in the process of seeking a solution that will turn my amp on and off via my Squeezebox Touch. Several (mostly old) posts on the forum seem to say that this can work and has been done using PowerSwitchII. I've installed it that plug-in and tested the output of the headphone jack, but I don't get any 3-volt signal, whether the Touch is on or off.

Has anyone gotten this version III to work with a Touch? I've followed the instructions for installing it that I found here, but the plug-in doesn't show up in the plug-ins tab of LMS. Does anyone know why I can't seem to get the plug-in to install?

Of course, the problem may be that my Touch's headphone jack has been disabled and that version III wouldn't work either. If anyone knows how to check and possibly remedy that, I'd be very happy if they'd tell me. Also, while searching through the forum, I've seen references to the "community firmware." Is there a chance that a change of firmware might have an effect on the Touch's headphone jack? My Touch's current firmware version is: 7.8.0 r16754.

I don't see why this (turning amp on and off from Squeezebox Touch) should be impossible. Yet I can't find any recent posts referring to it. I'd be happy to hear any suggestions anyone might have.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - ARCH-AUR-GIT.20200807.1a544e3 running on Wandboard Quad, music library on USB HDD
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act, extra speakers in kitchen, basement, and bedroom connected by ordinary (not unidirectional) copper wire.

IIUC while you might be able to install the server side plugin in LMS if LMS is running on your Touch, it won't be able to use the Touch headphone output to control the power of another device. IIUC the Squeezebox audio player / headphone stuff is designed specifically for the "IP3K" players mentioned in the original post -- SB 2, SB 3/Classic, and Transporter.

Nowadays I'd suggest using something like a "wifi power plug" like a Sonoff S31 running software with an API. First step, write scripts to turn the plug on and off, then figure out how to make LMS run those scripts. My PowerCenter plugin could be used (you'd need to write a script that emulated the 'br' command line tool), but I thought there was a cleaner solution out there, somebody else's plugin that could be set to execute a certain script when the Squeezebox turned "on" and another when it shut off.
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
    (which used to reside at www. tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Thanks for answering. The plug-in is installed on the server (Wandboard/Linux) that runs LMS.

I've looked into WiFi plugs, but I'd really like to find a direct solution.

I've looked at PowerCenter. Is there a way it could tell the headphone jack - or else the analog output, say - to send a 3v current when the Touch is on? (Please forgive my substandard electricity/electronics knowledge). The idea being to trigger a relay.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - ARCH-AUR-GIT.20200807.1a544e3 running on Wandboard Quad, music library on USB HDD
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act, extra speakers in kitchen, basement, and bedroom connected by ordinary (not unidirectional) copper wire.

I agree with Peter, it will appear in third-party plugins if you unzip it into right directory (and dont accidentally create a sub directory), restart LMS (and maybe check a box), but it wont work on the Touch because its wired differently. Here is a technical explanation of the difference: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ster-and-Touch

Sadly, my SB3 died and despite replacing every single capacitor, I couldnt bring it back to life. Now I use a RaspPi4 + Allo highhat as the logi music server and main player with an auto sensing class D amp. Instead, could use always on class T amp. Before the auto-on amp, Purchased a Stickon Brand relay to retrofit a class D amp, but never got around to rewiring (have to strip and wire power cords for relay).
    Last edited by Robaird; 2022-05-09 at 14:32.