Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Squeezebox Boom - Firmware Update how?

I have a Squeezebox Boom internet radio and in the Logitech Media Server > Player web page, it shows "Firmware: 57".

What is the latest version of Boom firmware?
    How can I update its firmware?

The wiki page says to press and hold the "Brightness" button on the remote but this remote does not have the Brightness button (only the Squeezebox Classic Remote has this button).

https://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.p...re_update.html

In the last over 8 years of owning Boom, I've never seen it download or install any firmware updates on its screen.

My Boom sometimes acts up like it has its own brain - after playing Pandora for some time, it switches to some unknown station and starts playing with a very LOUD volume for no reason while it displays the Clock screen with non-standard small font sizes and player info all in CAPS. I've seen screenshots of some Boom's screen and I can say mine does not have the latest latest version.

I have downloaded the latest version of Squeezebox Media Server 8.3.0 and still not sure how to install the latest firmware on the Boom.

Please help...

TIA
    Last edited by PowerObject; 2022-05-13 at 13:47. Reason: Link to the Wiki page

Squeezebox Boom - Firmware Update how?

> I have a Boom and in the Media Server > Player web page, it shows
    > "Firmware: 57".
    >
    > What is the latest version of Boom firmware?

> How can I update its firmware?

You can't.

> In the last over 8 years of owning Boom, I've never seen it download or
    > install any firmware updates on its screen.

Logitech Squeezebox development stopped about a decade ago. No firmwares
    have been built since then for the Boom/Receiver/Classic/Transporter.

> My Boom sometimes acts up like it has its own brain - after playing
    > Pandora for some time, it switches to some unknown station and starts
    > playing with a very *LOUD* volume for no reason while it displays the
    > Clock screen with non-standard small font sizes and player info all in
    > CAPS. I've seen screenshots of some Boom's screen and I can say mine
    > does not have the latest latest version.

You don't port forward LMS to the internet, eg. to access it from the
    office or the like?

If there were any newer FW your Boom would have updated automatically once it connected to LMS or MySB.com.

Are you sure your Boom is properly registered to your MySB.com account? You see and can control your Boom from MySB.com?

Quote Originally Posted by PowerObject View Post
    I've seen screenshots of some Boom's screen and I can say mine does not have the latest latest version.
    Screenshots may be from a user who has a custom screen display e.g using Music Information Screen plugin from 3rd party plugins http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins/detail.php@nr=446

Yes, I'm registered with MySqueezeBox.com and added it to Boom. I can use the web remote to control my Boom from anywhere in the world!

I haven't played with configuring the display enough in mySB.com, yet.

Since the FW shows as # 57 in my Media Server (localhost:9000), I obviously have the latest FW. However, the most frustrating issue is - if I leave my Boom playing and go into the bathroom or outside for instance, it may get automatically switched to some unknown channel after sometime playing from the Clock screen and displaying all CAPS text and very LOUD volume (50 units of volume). Even if I leave the Boom at Clock screen (not playing anything), it sometimes switches to some unknown channel on its own, increases the volume and starts playing (even in the middle of the night) and thus making it unreliable. I actually purchased it in 2011, never had these issues even once but happening since last year.

Sure I could use the web remote, iPeng app, etc to switch back to the original channel, turn down the volume but the Boom lost my trust that I could rely on. I was able to add YouTube as music source too. With all these issues going on, I don't wanna try Spotify subscription as yet. YouTube is cool in that we can search by video, channel, playlist, music, subscriptions, etc. and we don't even need Spotify as we can create our own playlists, rearrange them, repeat-play the song/playlist, etc.

Logitech has made it possible to deploy updates through Media Server already - they just have to include FW updates in the Media Server updates - resolving the reported bug fixes at the minimum. Or at the very least, they should update the mySB.com to add apps like YouTube, Spotty, etc. so we could use Boom by itself without having to keep the computer on keeping the Media Server on for hours and days which would kill its battery. The YouTube, Spotty apps I was able to add through Media Server are not available when connected to MySB.com (while Media Server is stopped). What is the point of maintaining mySB.com, Media Server app, etc. when there are no FW updates for years?

Are there any alternative internet radios that are at least as good as Boom for sound/bass production, with a touch screen and better navigation currently in the market - that can play by itself without relying on computer, media server or mobile apps? A smart internet radio with dual speakers, HD radio, FM radio, (optional: SiriusXM) combo would be my dream! But I can live with just a reliable and easy to use internet radio.
    Last edited by PowerObject; 2022-05-14 at 21:38.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerObject View Post
    Yes, I'm registered with MySqueezeBox.com and added it to Boom. I can use the web remote to control my Boom from anywhere in the world!

I haven't played with configuring the display enough in mySB.com, yet.

Since the FW shows as # 57 in my Media Server (localhost:9000), I obviously have the latest FW. However, the most frustrating issue is - if I leave my Boom playing and go into the bathroom or outside for instance, it may get automatically switched to some unknown channel after sometime playing from the Clock screen and displaying all CAPS text and very LOUD volume (50 units of volume). Even if I leave the Boom at Clock screen (not playing anything), it sometimes switches to some unknown channel on its own, increases the volume and starts playing (even in the middle of the night) and thus making it unreliable. Also, it doesn't connect to the WiFi sometimes forcing me to power off and boot it multiple times. I actually purchased it in 2011, never had these issues even once but happening since last year.

Sure I could use the web remote, iPeng app, etc to switch back to the original channel, turn down the volume but the Boom lost my trust that I could rely on. I was able to add YouTube as music source too. With all these issues going on, I don't wanna try Spotify subscription as yet.

Logitech has made it possible to apply updates through Media Server already - they just have to include FW updates in the Media Server updates - resolving the reported bug fixes at the minimum. Or at the very least, they should update the mySB.com to add apps like YouTube, Spotty, etc. so we could use Boom by itself without having to keep the computer on keeping the Media Server on for hours and days which would kill its battery. The YouTube, Spotty apps I was able to add through Media Server are not available when connected to MySB.com (Media Server stopped). What is the point of maintaining mySB.com, Media Server app, etc. when there are no FW updates for years?

Are there any alternative internet radios that are at least as good as Boom for sound/bass production, with a touch screen and better navigation currently in the market - that can play by itself without relying on computer, media server or mobile apps? A smart internet radio with dual speakers, HD radio, FM radio, (optional: SeriusXM) combo would be my dream! But I can live with just a reliable and easy to use internet radio.
    You didn't say whether you opened ports to the internet to allow control from outside your home.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Are you using squeezebox.com as the server, or do you have your own server?

If using own server (own LMS) then you should not be able to operate from outside your network unless you have opened ports. Opening ports would allow others to control the boom, and a bunch of other things. Itĺs a bad thing to do.

If you are using squeezebox.com as server, I would change my password.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using mysqueezebox.com mostly as the server with web remote on a mobile browser.

Also use Media Server at times when I'm at my computer.

No ports opened.

As yeomanspc suggested, change password asap
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
    Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
    Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

Password for mysqueezebox.com? I had to change it last week when I forgot it.

What is the reason for changing the password?