Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Because of the suspicion that someone is controlling your boom from outside and since you are saying there are no open ports (also pnp disabled in router?) the only way would be via my squeezebox. Com
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
    Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
    Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by edwin2006 View Post
    Because of the suspicion that someone is controlling your boom from outside and since you are saying there are no open ports (also pnp disabled in router?) the only way would be via my squeezebox. Com
    OP, one way to test/eliminate this possibility is to run your boom with internet access disconnected (but your lan still active). You mention that you run "media server" (logitech media server, or LMS) when at your desk. Do you have any music library files (selections under "my music")?

Here's my thought, let's say you have LMS on a desktop (PC or Mac):

If you don't have any music library files, add some (rip some CD's, then set LMS to find and scan them)
    Disable internet access at your router (but your LAN/Wifi remains active)
    Play music library files, maybe with repeat all enabled (endless play).
    Go to sleep, get up the next day, how's the boom behaving?

The last step is critical because we as a human species can't survive without internet, so sleeping through it is the only option

It seems like a ridiculous thing to try, but someone changing the volume and station to mess with you also sounds ridiculous...but very possible.

Also, I am quick to suspect faulty power supplies (failing at about this age is common), but your symptoms are too bizarre...But, if you like your boom, it might not hurt to replace it, it's going to fail soon otherwise.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by PowerObject View Post
    Logitech has made it possible to deploy updates through Media Server already - they just have to include FW updates in the Media Server updates - resolving the reported bug fixes at the minimum. Or at the very least, they should update the mySB.com to add apps like YouTube, Spotty, etc. so we could use Boom by itself without having to keep the computer on keeping the Media Server on for hours and days which would kill its battery. The YouTube, Spotty apps I was able to add through Media Server are not available when connected to MySB.com (while Media Server is stopped). What is the point of maintaining mySB.com, Media Server app, etc. when there are no FW updates for years?......
    Logitech and any third party streaming services have *zero* interest in spending any time / effort / money developing or supporting new services for a product line discontinued over a decade ago and for a declining user base. Also, Boom era FW is pretty much maxed out, making such suggested fixes either impossible or requiring a complete FW rewrite (which will never happen).

The purpose of maintaining LMS and MySB.com is to at least make these decade + old products at least usable. Thanks to the efforts M Herger behind the scenes (and kind of under cover) we still have LMS and MySB.com at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    OP, one way to test/eliminate this possibility is to run your boom with internet access disconnected (but your lan still active). You mention that you run "media server" (logitech media server, or LMS) when at your desk. Do you have any music library files (selections under "my music")?

Here's my thought, let's say you have LMS on a desktop (PC or Mac):

If you don't have any music library files, add some (rip some CD's, then set LMS to find and scan them)
    Disable internet access at your router (but your LAN/Wifi remains active)
    Play music library files, maybe with repeat all enabled (endless play).
    Go to sleep, get up the next day, how's the boom behaving?

The last step is critical because we as a human species can't survive without internet, so sleeping through it is the only option

It seems like a ridiculous thing to try, but someone changing the volume and station to mess with you also sounds ridiculous...but very possible.

Also, I am quick to suspect faulty power supplies (failing at about this age is common), but your symptoms are too bizarre...But, if you like your boom, it might not hurt to replace it, it's going to fail soon otherwise.

Jim
    When my Boom switches the channel and turns up the volume on its own, it always goes back to the Clock screen and showing some text (neither the channel name nor song name nor artist name) all in UPPER case and smaller fonts. This is not a deliberate switching to another channel by some malicious person as the playback is not from a valid channel and it does not display any song name. Even if someone switches the channel or turns up volume (always set to 48 or 50 units of volume - don't remember) using a web remote provided they have my login creds to mysb.com, they could only switch to a valid channel and not be able to mess with my screen to go back to the Clock screen and be able to display some junk text in non-standard font and format and be able to playback from the Clock screen. Apparently, this is a glitch going by these patterns. I changed the password just last week but it has happened once even after that change. These are not consistent behaviors as I had such incidents happen in the last one year for about 4-5 times so far. When something doesn't work as expected, we lose trust in it.

Also, at times when I boot up Boom, the screen keeps blinking, forcing me to restart it.
    Last edited by PowerObject; 2022-05-15 at 22:02.

Squeezebox Boom - Firmware Update how?

> When my Boom switches the channel and turns up the volume on its own, it
    > always goes back to the Clock screen and showing some text (neither the
    > channel name nor song name nor artist name) all in UPPER case and
    > smaller fonts. This is not a deliberate switching to another channel by
    > some malicious person as the playback is not from a valid channel and it
    > does not display any song name. Even if someone switches the channel or

You didn't set an alarm, did you?...

When this happens, are you connected to mysb.com or your LMS?

> turns up volume (always set to 48 or 50 units of volume - don't
    > remember) using a web remote provided they have my login creds to
    > mysb.com, they could only switch to a valid channel and not be able to
    > mess with my screen to go back to the Clock screen and be able to
    > display some junk text in non-standard font and format and be able to

What would such a junk text be?