Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Radio 'Off' Screensaver no longer works on 3 radios after power cut

Hi there,

I have 3x Squeezebox Radios and after a recent power cut all have started showing the same behaviour. When they are powered off nothing is displayed. I checked the settings and they are still showing that the Off screensaver is a digital clock but none of them display it. I have tried changing the Off screensaver to other clocks but none display. I've even factory reset one of the radios and that didn't cure it. Note the display works fine when powered on.

Anyone any ideas how I can get back to the radio displaying a clock when powered down?

Regards

Chunkywizard
    Squeezebox: Boom x2 (Kitchen and Living Room), Radio x4 (Kids, Play Room and Bedroom), PiCorePlayer (Office)
    Server: 8.0 for PCP
    Plugins: Spotty | Dynamic Playlists | SQL Playlist | Music and Artist Information | TrackStat
    Remote: iPhone6/iPad Air running iPeng
    Music: Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Chunkywizard View Post
    Hi there,

I have 3x Squeezebox Radios and after a recent power cut all have started showing the same behaviour. When they are powered off nothing is displayed. I checked the settings and they are still showing that the Off screensaver is a digital clock but none of them display it. I have tried changing the Off screensaver to other clocks but none display. I've even factory reset one of the radios and that didn't cure it. Note the display works fine when powered on.

Anyone any ideas how I can get back to the radio displaying a clock when powered down?

Regards

Chunkywizard
    Could you try a different server temporarily, it looks like a server issue if all three Radios are affected.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Good shout! I didnĺt realise the server affected this. I rebooted the server and they are all back :-). Thanks for your help

CW
    Squeezebox: Boom x2 (Kitchen and Living Room), Radio x4 (Kids, Play Room and Bedroom), PiCorePlayer (Office)
    Server: 8.0 for PCP
    Plugins: Spotty | Dynamic Playlists | SQL Playlist | Music and Artist Information | TrackStat
    Remote: iPhone6/iPad Air running iPeng
    Music: Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Chunkywizard View Post
    Good shout! I didnĺt realise the server affected this. I rebooted the server and they are all back :-). Thanks for your help

CW
    I am late to the party here, but I have had the exact same issue as we have frequent power failures. After allot of discussion, "time" is what gets messed up, and without "time" the clock screensaver defaults to blank. I have seen this on my radios and my touch..

Specifically what (we believe) happens to me is when the power is restored after a cut, my server (LMS on picoreplayer) is looking for internet connectivity on reboot, and since it boots quite fast, but my modem and router are rebooting quite slow, the pcP is not able to connect and get "time" when it is looking for it. This normally would not happen because our network is always on, right?

The other symptoms are that the Radio Paradise FLAC streams - normal plays without song info (just the RP logo), and interactive won't play at all, but mp3 plays fine. In previous conversation, I guess spotty gets affected as well (but I do not use spotty).

Jim

That would explain it.
    Maybe change things so that the pCP script to start LMS waits longer to get the time (but not forever because then you would not be able to listen to local music when you reboot when Internet is down).
    Or get pCP to update local time more frequently.

I suspect that both approaches have been done somewhere in one of the many many threads.
    However, perhaps the pCP change to put starting of ntpd (Extras) is the way to do it nowadays.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    That would explain it.
    Maybe change things so that the pCP script to start LMS waits longer to get the time (but not forever because then you would not be able to listen to local music when you reboot when Internet is down).

I suspect that both approaches have been done somewhere in one of the many many threads.
    However, perhaps the pCP change to put starting of ntpd (Extras) is the way to do it nowadays.
    Thanks Paul, worth investigating.

Right now though, I come home, see the blank touch screen and know that a power cut has occurred! Then a quick look at the oven and microwave clock to confirm....

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    That would explain it.

Does pCP only check for time once during bootup? If pCP periodically checks for the time would that solve the problem of original post? Seems like if time is not available at start-up, then there is no way for LMS to get its time updated.

Paul

That is why recent pCP has option to run ntpd.
    In older pCP I ran it via a user script.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by P Nelson View Post
    Does pCP only check for time once during bootup? If pCP periodically checks for the time would that solve the problem of original post? Seems like if time is not available at start-up, then there is no way for LMS to get its time updated.

Paul
    when I first reported it (over a year ago), @Paul- said just once at startup. Paul W has the right approach though. But, it has not been a problem to see the dark screen on my touch and know what to do, a quick reboot of pcP

Jim

In the current pCP, ntpd is launched as a daemon and continues to run (you can see it by typing something like
    ps -ef | grep ntpd

I did not find a configuration file so I assume it will be doing whatever is the default for BusyBox ntpd (plus the -p command line option that pCP launches it with) ů which I expect will be to check and update occasionally in the background.
    Paul Webster