Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Random Mix Adding Genres

If I create continuous random mix with a single genres=[Classical], then once the "Upcoming track count" expires, and the random mix auto-appends more tracks to the queue, if some of the queued tracks have multiple tagged genres, E.g. Amadeus soundtrack has genres=[Classical, Soundtrack], the appended tracks are selected from a new genres=[Classical, Soundtrack] pool, instead of the original genres=[Classical] only. The longer the continuous random mix plays, the more genres are potentially added to the queue, E.g. If I start with a classical mix, after a couple of hours I end up with a [Classical, Soundtrack, Disco, R&B, Funk] just from having these albums=[Bach Cello Suites, Amadeus, Saturday Night Fever, Purple Rain] in my library. It's jarring to say the least to hear the Bee Gees right after a Bach Prelude!

Can you please update random mix to use only the original genres selection?
    Last edited by SAL9K; 2022-04-28 at 12:21.

Quote Originally Posted by SAL9K View Post
    If I create continuous random mix with a single genres=[Classical], then once the "Upcoming track count" expires, and the random mix auto-appends more tracks to the queue, if some of the queued tracks have multiple tagged genres, E.g. Amadeus soundtrack has genres=[Classical, Soundtrack], the appended tracks are selected from a new genres=[Classical, Soundtrack] pool, instead of the original genres=[Classical] only. The longer the continuous random mix plays, the more genres are potentially added to the queue, E.g. If I start with a classical mix, after a couple of hours I end up with a [Classical, Soundtrack, Disco, R&B, Funk] just from having these albums=[Bach Cello Suites, Amadeus, Saturday Night Fever, Purple Rain] in my library. It's jarring to say the least to hear the Bee Gees right after a Bach Prelude!

Can you please update random mix to use only the original genres selection?
    In my system new tracks are continuously added as tracks in the playlist end when using Random Mix. The upcoming track count does not expire. I started a Random Mix with one genre (Spanish). I saw tracks appearing in the playlist with genres (Spanish, Alternative) but I don't see any tracks appearing which only have the genre (Alternative). So I can't reproduce your issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Random Mix Adding Genres

Can you share a screenshot of your Random Mix screen when you start a
    mix? What you describe doesn't make sense, as the whole mix is generated
    when you start it. The plugin then would create the list of all matching
    tracks, shuffle, and store that list. Whenever the mixer needs to add
    more tracks it would pop an entry off of that list. The track selection
    is not adjusted while the mix is going on, nor is the order changed.

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Can you share a screenshot of your Random Mix screen when you start a
    mix? What you describe doesn't make sense, as the whole mix is generated
    when you start it. The plugin then would create the list of all matching
    tracks, shuffle, and store that list. Whenever the mixer needs to add
    more tracks it would pop an entry off of that list. The track selection
    is not adjusted while the mix is going on, nor is the order changed.
    Random Mix Pane:
    Name:  random-mix-pane-001.png
Views: 150
Size:  66.1 KB

Initial Queue Tracklist:
    Name:  random-generated-queue-001.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  141.5 KB

I thought it was adding non-matching genre's after it adds more tracks in "continuous" mode, but I see here for the first time its added at the outset an M. Ward track which has metadata tags for genres=[Folk] only, so I don't really know what it's doing. I'm doing a complete clear and rescan of my library, to see if that helps.
    Last edited by SAL9K; 2022-04-28 at 15:30.

Did a complete library rescan, and still Random Mix is adding tracks from non-selected genres. I typically use Material, but have tried Random Mix from the LMS interface and it's doing the same thing. I can strangely only reproduce non-genre tracks with Folk genre tags, I.e. I select (Classical), and see (Classical, Folk) in the initial random tracks; not all of the time, but fairly consistently. Over time however, random mix additions are from the (Soundtrack, etc.) as well.

Server

Version: 8.3.0 - 1650865796 @ Mon 25 Apr 2022 08:24:21 AM CEST
    Hostname: bee
    Server IP Address: 10.1.1.12
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.30.0 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    Audio::Scan: 1.02
    IO::Socket::SSL: 2.067
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)
    Last edited by SAL9K; 2022-04-28 at 16:29.

Random Mix Adding Genres

> Random Mix Pane:

Do you see the same behaviour using the Default skin?

Yes, I’m seeing the same behavior with the default skin. If you guys can’t duplicate it’s got to be something with my config. I’m going to completely remove 8.3b, and reinstall the latest stable 8.2 this weekend, to see it that does anything.

So I didn't revert to 8.2....

It was interesting that non-genre tracks incorrectly added to the random mix were all MP3's, so I started wondering if there was some funkiness in their tags. I noticed these MP3's had their genre tags encoded in the TCON field as a single string with a ";" delimitter, E.g. TCON='Folk;Classical'. So, I cleared the LMS setting "Separator for Multiple Items in Tags" (it was set to the single ';'), and did a complete library rescan, so I could easily find all of the library tracks that has their genres encoded with ';' delimited strings. I then redid those found MP3's so that they would have multiple TCON entries, instead of a single ';' delimit string. I only had about a dozen MP3 albums like this, so it didn't take me very long. I then did another complete library rescan, and now I am *not* seeing random mix add in non-genre tracks to the mix! All classical now!

So, the question is why was LMS confused by the ';' delimited genre tags in MP3 files?
    Last edited by SAL9K; 2022-05-02 at 08:59.

Spoke too soon. After about 2 days of a random mix playing only classical tracks, it started playing folk tracks again. I didn't touch the server, or music library in that time, so not sure what is happening.

Going to remove all non-classical genre tags from classical albums, so they have a single genre, and see if that fixes it.

Is there a way to log the exact random mix commands that are executed when the random mix is generated, and when its appended to when in continuous mode??
    Last edited by SAL9K; 2022-05-02 at 10:55.

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > Random Mix Pane:

Do you see the same behaviour using the Default skin?
    So, I've gone ahead and reverted my LMS install to the latest 8.2.1, and also a complete library rescan. I'll let the random mix play and see what happens.

I don't know that I'm parsing the change log appropriately, but nothing there stands out there to me as something that would indicate differences in behavior for library scans and/or random mix between LMS 8.2 and 8.3.

https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https...hangelog8.html

Devs: are there any differences in library scans and/or random mix between LMS 8.2 and 8.3?