Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Is all that right? Am I missing anything? Is there any risk here? Is it right to have enough confidence in dBp to not fear faulty conversion and have no remaining source file to use to fix things? I'd do one library at a time, so after the first would still have the other as a back-up, but I'm not going to be checking each of those converted files.

R.
    I suggest you keep a backup copy of the wma files somewhere, just in case you later find any problems with the converted files.
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

I was all set to do this, converting the WMA files in the LMS library across the network. I'm using Samba to access the network. I can easily use regular dBp music converter to do this across the network, the basic windows file tree includes the Samba content on the remote pCp.

However, batch converter does not allow me access to this component of the network. I can't do this one album at a time, even if I could remember which ones they were without complex search.

Is this expected? Sort of puts a crimp in my plans.

I'm resuscitating this older thread, after having stupidly started a new one having forgotten about this one.

Ron
    LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare

Where are the files located. Why must you do the conversion across the network? Is there any way to connect the drive with the files directly to your PC for doing the dbpoweramp batch conversion? Then you can use batch converter *and* it will be MUCH faster.

Also, regarding other backup copies, I use "freefilesync" to keep various backup drives synched for any changes. You can set to have one drive mirrored from the "updated" drive. This will then delete any files on the target that are not on the source and add any files to the target that are on the source, but not yet on target. That is, this synching is an incremental synch. I find it works very well.
    https://freefilesync.org/
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Where are the files located. Why must you do the conversion across the network? Is there any way to connect the drive with the files directly to your PC for doing the dbpoweramp batch conversion? Then you can use batch converter *and* it will be MUCH faster.

Also, regarding other backup copies, I use "freefilesync" to keep various backup drives synched for any changes. You can set to have one drive mirrored from the "updated" drive. This will then delete any files on the target that are not on the source and add any files to the target that are on the source, but not yet on target. That is, this synching is an incremental synch. I find it works very well.
    https://freefilesync.org/
    The files are on a hard drive (standard internal 3.5") in a dock by the Pi. I can remove it from that dock and use the dock beside my desktop, sure. But it would have been easier to do it across the network overnight. It's odd that I can do such things across the network using the standard dBp convert process, but not batch convert. This is a question for the dBp forum, I guess.

I don't really want to keep my two copies of the library totally synched, at this point. There are some things that are in fact different between the locations, and I don't want to risk losing anything. And there are reasonable reasons for this situation, which means sync may never be appropriate.

r.
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare

Understand. 😊
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

I use bulkfilechanger to change my file creation or modified date in bulk. So after you create the FLAC files, you can easily set the date on these to some past date so they don't show up as "new music".
    https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bulk_file_changer.html

I sent a lengthy response earlier today outlining my mostly successful conversion of my wma files to flac. GaryM seems to have replied to it, since he references an issue I had with the fact that the converted files all have a new date.

However, my post is nowhere to be seen, in my desktop view, at the moment.

Ron
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    I sent a lengthy response earlier today outlining my mostly successful conversion of my wma files to flac. GaryM seems to have replied to it, since he references an issue I had with the fact that the converted files all have a new date.

However, my post is nowhere to be seen, in my desktop view, at the moment.

Ron
    I saw it when emailed to me as a response to this thread. But never saw it actually on the thread when I came here. But I answered your question anyhow, knowing you'd see it.

RonM, I've pasted your message from my email this morning. Odd that it is missing here on the thread.

Here is the message that has just been posted:

Well, I did the conversion successfully. Thanks for the help!

As it turned out I had a spare 1tb internal drive hanging about, just barely enough for the library. I did a full format as it had been a while since I'd used it and I couldn't remember if there was anything other than size that led me to stop using it.

I also have a dual dock Thermaltake BlacX beside my main computer, so just brought the music library drive upstairs, made a copy on the 1tb drive, and then performed the wma to flac conversion. Went perfectly, although there were more wma files than I'd thought, about 7k or so.

Only problem is that the converted files all had a new date stamp, and consequently I've no convenient way of accessing my truly new content! I'm not sure if there is a DBP mechanism for preserving date, may we'll be, but I didn't think to look. Oh, well, a transient problem.

Again, thanks for the help.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I saw it when emailed to me as a response to this thread. But never saw it actually on the thread when I came here. But I answered your question anyhow, knowing you'd see it.
    The one time I have seen this happen before is when the poster deleted the post after posting. The email preview to thread subscribers still shows the post.

Jim

"poster deleted the post after posting"...maybe needs a rephrase...