Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Squeezebox Receiver in old valve radio

Quite a few old radio restorers add Bluetooth receivers to the gram input of old valve radios. Has anyone added a Squeezebox receiver? Any details? Any pictures? Any videos?
    Brian

In UK: rPi4 running LMS, Chromecast Audio Dongle and Chromecast Video Dongle attached to TV - Beresford DAC - Quad 77 Integrated Amp - AVI Neutron 4 Speakers - Sennheiser HD25 Headphones. Boom in Bedroom.

In Nicosia: LMS running on a small form factor Windows PC, Beresford DAC into Quad 405-2 and MB Quart 980s

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    Quite a few old radio restorers add Bluetooth receivers to the gram input of old valve radios. Has anyone added a Squeezebox receiver? Any details? Any pictures? Any videos?
    Not Squeezebox Receiver, but I have done that with a RPi running squeezelite, as well as an old Rio Receiver (running squeezebox emulation).
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Not Squeezebox Receiver, but I have done that with a RPi running squeezelite, as well as an old Rio Receiver (running squeezebox emulation).
    Thanks. Any picture?

(When I said "Squeezebox Receiver" I did in fact mean the rPi route!)

The later Grundig and Telefunken stereo tabletop and console radios were stunning good lookers and sounded very fine. Well preserved examples are hard to find but the Squeezebox addition would be a splendid advance.
    Brian

In UK: rPi4 running LMS, Chromecast Audio Dongle and Chromecast Video Dongle attached to TV - Beresford DAC - Quad 77 Integrated Amp - AVI Neutron 4 Speakers - Sennheiser HD25 Headphones. Boom in Bedroom.

In Nicosia: LMS running on a small form factor Windows PC, Beresford DAC into Quad 405-2 and MB Quart 980s

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    Thanks. Any picture?

(When I said "Squeezebox Receiver" I did in fact mean the rPi route!)

The later Grundig and Telefunken stereo tabletop and console radios were stunning good lookers and sounded very fine. Well preserved examples are hard to find but the Squeezebox addition would be a splendid advance.
    Will see if I can take pics at some point. Mine is a popular Philips tube radio from the 50s /early 60s. First I used the original electronics (with an isolating audio transformer), but in the end it was easier to use a small class D amp driving the speakers directly. Original function can be restored by just resoldering the speaker wires.

Next I want to interface the buttons and knobs...
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

A few years ago I converted an old radio into a "peppy player". Because the sound of the radio was very poor, I replaced the entire inner parts.
    You might have to scroll down in the gallery to the post "Player in the Vintage Enclosure by Ingo (Germany)".
    Last edited by piPlayer; 2022-04-28 at 01:55.