Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Undo all replay gain tags?

Hello,
    I manage my music in MusicBee and automatically write volume leveling tags for album and title.
    For a while I have wondered why my RPIcumHifiberry is not as loud as my CD player.
    So I removed the tags from some files and, tadang, it's the same volume as my CDs.
    Would you recommend to do away with all the volume leveling tags in the files? Shouldn't be too much work.
    (Tag: TXXX/Replaygain_albumgain)
    I have set LMS to intelligent normalisation or what it's called but I wasn't sure if it's reading the tags at all.
    RPI 3+ with LMS 8.2.0 -- RPI 2 with a Hifiberry DAC+ running PiCorePlayer -- SBR running Firmware 8.0 -- Plugins: Material Skin, MAI, Podcasts, Musik - folge mir, Squeezelite-X, Ratings Light, Exclude Folders -- DSM 6.2.2 (Synology Disk Station 115) has my music

Quote Originally Posted by streifenleopard View Post
    Hello,
    I manage my music in MusicBee and automatically write volume leveling tags for album and title.
    For a while I have wondered why my RPIcumHifiberry is not as loud as my CD player.
    So I removed the tags from some files and, tadang, it's the same volume as my CDs.
    Would you recommend to do away with all the volume leveling tags in the files? Shouldn't be too much work.
    (Tag: TXXX/Replaygain_albumgain)
    I have set LMS to intelligent normalisation or what it's called but I wasn't sure if it's reading the tags at all.
    You have LMS set to smart gain. This uses the ReplayGain tags to adjust volume. Just set this to none. You have to do this for each player within LMS settings. No need to delete tags. Or to remove just batch edit your files and remove all the RG tags. But really no need to remove.
    Last edited by garym; 2022-04-10 at 06:01.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    You have LMS set to smart gain. This uses the ReplayGain tags to adjust volume. Just set this to none. You have to do this for each player within LMS settings. No need to delete tags. Or to remove just batch edit your files and remove all the RG tags. But really no need to remove.
    Garym is 100% right in this. If you still want to remove the tags, I believe Foobar2k is the easiest. Just load all your music in there, right-click and remove tags (see screenshot below)
    Name:  Screenshot_159.png
Views: 185
Size:  64.0 KB
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

That will make the same album in LMS play at the same volume as its corresponding CD. However, you should find that some CD's are recorded louder than others. The intent of the RG tags is to make it so when you play multiple albums together the relative volume between albums should be about the same. If you're playing a playlist of multiple songs from different albums RG should make the songs play at relatively the same volume.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.2.1 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets ( both WiFi, farthest unit gets 60% signal strength and always works since new power supply) and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.2.1 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B (WiFi) /Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    Garym is 100% right in this. If you still want to remove the tags, I believe Foobar2k is the easiest.
    Maybe this is the easiest way. One might ask though why I still need the tags then in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    That will make the same album in LMS play at the same volume as its corresponding CD. However, you should find that some CD's are recorded louder than others. The intent of the RG tags is to make it so when you play multiple albums together the relative volume between albums should be about the same. If you're playing a playlist of multiple songs from different albums RG should make the songs play at relatively the same volume.
    Yes, but this is not the case; I still have to constantly adjust the volume. I guess this is due to the fact that the writing of the replay gain tags took place over a long period of time (ie ten years or so) during which new files were added constantly. This makes the computation of relative values so difficult as they are based on comparison between these files.
    Also I think it's difficult if you have different file types.
    RPI 3+ with LMS 8.2.0 -- RPI 2 with a Hifiberry DAC+ running PiCorePlayer -- SBR running Firmware 8.0 -- Plugins: Material Skin, MAI, Podcasts, Musik - folge mir, Squeezelite-X, Ratings Light, Exclude Folders -- DSM 6.2.2 (Synology Disk Station 115) has my music

Maybe this is the easiest way. One might ask though why I still need the tags then in the first place.

Yes, but this is not the case; I still have to constantly adjust the volume. I guess this is due to the fact that the writing of the replay gain tags took place over a long period of time (ie ten years or so) during which new files were added constantly. This makes the computation of relative values so difficult as they are based on comparison between these files.
    It shouldn't matter when the replaygain tags were calculated they should all be based on the same target volume. I use album gain for everything figuring that a quiet album track is meant to be quiet in all circumstances and sounds wrong when played back louder.
    I also haven't used my CD player since getting Squeezeboxes

Edit. Is it possible that some of your tracks don't have replaygain tags? I have forgotten to add them occasionally and had to dash for the volume control.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by slartibartfast; 2022-04-11 at 02:16.

As @slartibartfast points out, replaygain tag info is not based on a relative loudness of *your* tracks. Rather, the values are based on a target value (e.g., 89db or -18 LUFS, etc.). And this works across different file types (mp3, FLAC, etc.). I like his hypothesis that you probably have files WITHOUT replaygain values, thus the need to reach for the volume control.

Personally, I can't imagine playing my digital files without RG engaged. SmartGain is brilliant. It automatically uses ALBUM RG values if playing songs from the same album, but uses TRACK RG values if paying tracks from different albums.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Personally, I can't imagine playing my digital files without RG engaged. SmartGain is brilliant.
    Totally agree, as most of my listening is random tracks, I couldn't imagine LMS/Squeezeboxes without Smart Gain.
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 RPi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)

Lounge - DAC32 - AudioEngine B2
    Office - RPi 3B+/HiFiBerry DAC HAT/RPi screen - Edifier D12
    Bedroom - Echo Show 8

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 3xRPi, 1xCORE32, AVI DM5 speakers

As others have said, Replaygain is calculated to an absolute target value, not relative to your other files. Having to adjust the volume may indeed point to some tracks missing tags, but I personally have another case in my library as well: some MP3's from back when I began this digital music journey (late 90's, early 2000's) were "normalized" through Windows Media Player, and unfortunately that wasn't done through tags but directly in the audio data itself. They're such a minor part of the collection though, that I've never bothered to do anything about it (also due to lazyness, all cd's have been boxed and stored for at least 15 years now )
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    some MP3's from back when I began this digital music journey (late 90's, early 2000's) were "normalized" through Windows Media Player, and unfortunately that wasn't done through tags but directly in the audio data itself. They're such a minor part of the collection though, that I've never bothered to do anything about it (also due to lazyness, all cd's have been boxed and stored for at least 15 years now )
    I don't have any of these but I have some files with a pretty low quality, some files I didn't rip myself and some files ripped from low quality cds. Maybe this contributes to the heterogeneity of my collection.