Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

DSD and Digital Output on Transporter, help needed!!!

Hi I may placed threed in wrong place. Just find here is the right section for beginner like me.

I bought a transporter without knob version in 2015. Just used this as stand alone Dac for a while, and left aside for years. Recently get time to extract juice from it.

Couple of stupid questions as below, hope get help here.

1. Is there a way to make transporter support 192K? If not, how would trasnporter handle files over 24bit and/or 96K? I know would be downscale, but the methodology?

2. I knew there is EDO for SBT, anything simlliar for Transporter?

3. I suppose Dsdplayer plugin supports DSD playback. I found it in Guthub, but which file should I download and how to install?

4. If use Dsdplayer to play DSD, should I connect Transporter to a DSD capable DAC through AES or SPDIF cable? That means with Dsdplayer transporter only can output DSD digital signal, right?

5. Does Dsdplayer support DSD 256? As myunderstanding, DSD over AES and SPDIF normally only support DSD64 OR DSD128 as max?

Quote Originally Posted by GXB View Post
    Hi I may placed threed in wrong place. Just find here is the right section for beginner like me.

I bought a transporter without knob version in 2015. Just used this as stand alone Dac for a while, and left aside for years. Recently get time to extract juice from it.

Couple of stupid questions as below, hope get help here.

1. Is there a way to make transporter support 192K? If not, how would trasnporter handle files over 24bit and/or 96K? I know would be downscale, but the methodology?

2. I knew there is EDO for SBT, anything simlliar for Transporter?

3. I suppose Dsdplayer plugin supports DSD playback. I found it in Guthub, but which file should I download and how to install?

4. If use Dsdplayer to play DSD, should I connect Transporter to a DSD capable DAC through AES or SPDIF cable? That means with Dsdplayer transporter only can output DSD digital signal, right?

5. Does Dsdplayer support DSD 256? As myunderstanding, DSD over AES and SPDIF normally only support DSD64 OR DSD128 as max?
    1. no. LMS will downconvert to 24/96. Works well.
    2. no

I donĺt use DSD files so cannot answer those questions.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

To install DSDPlayer, just go to LMS and plugins. Check the box for DSDplayer and will install it for you. Then need to go to Player tab and configure DSDPlayer. Then go to Advanced>File Types and configure .dff and .dsf files how you want them played.

I found coax to be best connection for external DAC. YMMV... You will be able to play whatever files your DAC supports this way and the Transporter will no longer be a DAC, but rather just a streamer.

I got rid of my Transporter and went with RPi4 Picoreplayer connected via USB to a great DAC. Again, YMMV and you may just want to stay with 24/96.

Quote Originally Posted by Bscott View Post
    To install DSDPlayer, just go to LMS and plugins. Check the box for DSDplayer and will install it for you. Then need to go to Player tab and configure DSDPlayer. Then go to Advanced>File Types and configure .dff and .dsf files how you want them played.

I found coax to be best connection for external DAC. YMMV... You will be able to play whatever files your DAC supports this way and the Transporter will no longer be a DAC, but rather just a streamer.
    Thanks! I know this method to install DSDPLAYER, but github.com, particular raw.githubusercontent.com has DNS issue in China, my LMS just cannot load it, so I cannot see 3rd party plugins in plugins tab. As I know there is mannual method to install. But I tried put downloaded DSDPLAYER in plugin folder, but it doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bscott View Post
    I got rid of my Transporter and went with RPi4 Picoreplayer connected via USB to a great DAC. Again, YMMV and you may just want to stay with 24/96.
    The reason I left it aside for years is I have many fancy DACs, like Apogee Mini Dac, Lynx Hilo, RME Adi-2 Pro and several small brand digital out only USD interface. But today, network stream becames popular and triggers my memory, i still have onething called transporter. Then studied a little, found it is interesting. that's why I go to here to try extract its juice.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    1. no. LMS will downconvert to 24/96. Works well.
    2. no

I donĺt use DSD files so cannot answer those questions.
    Many thanks.