Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Looking to upgrade NAS

So I have been running LMS (for a Touch and Radio) for more than a decade on a ReadyNAS server (Pro 6 currently). It still runs quite well, and so long as I use an ancient browser (Safari for Windows since it still supports TLS 1.0) I can still access my admin login and console. But in looking at my setup, this is probably not a long term solution (another 10 years or more).

I have really liked running this from my NAS and would love to continue to do so. Is there a current NAS that has TLS 1.2 or 1.3 that easily and simply runs LMS?

Quote Originally Posted by Action View Post
    So I have been running LMS (for a Touch and Radio) for more than a decade on a ReadyNAS server (Pro 6 currently). It still runs quite well, and so long as I use an ancient browser (Safari for Windows since it still supports TLS 1.0) I can still access my admin login and console. But in looking at my setup, this is probably not a long term solution (another 10 years or more).

I have really liked running this from my NAS and would love to continue to do so. Is there a current NAS that has TLS 1.2 or 1.3 that easily and simply runs LMS?
    +1

I don’t think there is currently any brand of NAS that provides what you are looking for.
    The alternatives are Docker (if your NAS supports it) or a Pi for LMS with music files retained on NAS.

NB.
    You can usually park the Pi on top of your NAS and power it from one of the NAS USB ports so it’s not that obtrusive. For an LMS only Pi you don’t need a fancy case but one with a decent heat sink is advised. Just need an extra LAN cable to your router available where the NAS is.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

I'm kind of torn. I have been a LMS on Readynas user for over 10 years, started with an NV+.
    My 516 is still going, but it looks like Netgear isn't keeping their desktop nas line current/competitive.
    An old HP desktop and replaced drives have become a TrueNAS core box which is running pretty well.
    The longer term plan is to either build a new box with enough cores and memory , or buy a barebones box intended for that purpose and use TrueNAS Scale to host some VM's ( or docker containers ) with LMS and storage. The NAS drives I have now are just a year old and I can re use them, hope to gain 10g and some ssd cache for speed.
    I use the ReadyNas for storing huge video files and it takes forever to move them around.
    2 Duets controllers, 1 X Boom, 1 X Radio
    1 X Receiver + Edifier S1000DB
    1 X Receiver + Yamaha RX-A2000, Polk M70
    1 X Receiver + Boston MicroSystem CD
    Raspberry Pi 3 B+ HiFi Berry Amp2 7" touchscreen PiCorePlayer 7.0 Audioengine A5 ( passive mode )
    Raspberry Pi 2 B, HiFiBerry Dac+ & Max2play
    SqueezeAmp 3 Monsoon MM-700 flat panels + Infinity sub
    HTC 10 w/ Squeeze Ctrl
    ReadyNAS 516 LMS 8.3