Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK, Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    631
    Maybe not exactly applicable in this situation due to mentioned TV type..but still another possible solution so I will mention it.

    Although not as nice looking as material , squeezer app allows you to use tv remote and it's workable (just about without horrible /pants cursor) and can controls other squeezebox player.

    I use it in conservatory on fire stick connected to diy monitor (old laptop screen ) for excercise bike pov screen. It controls squezebox receiver on other side of room. I guess it could be installed on any android tv or firestick.

    I wish material apk supported tv remote too as it much nicer to look at
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

  2. #22
    Senior Member dolodobendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Posts
    1,459
    Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    No - pants.
    Came in handy already.
    QLMS 8.3@2.21 x64 (digimaster) / QNAP 469L (QTS 4.3.4)
    LMS 8.4 x64 / Intel NUC8 i3 (Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS)

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    6,739
    I have a smart tv with remote on which I can display Material. Do I? No. Itís pants.
    Itís a much better experience to use Material on a phone or tablet.
    For the friends to surf through your music either get something like an Amazon Fire tablet when they are cheap as a coffee table item or simply tell them your serversí url and let them use their own phones.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net


    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I have a smart tv with remote on which I can display Material. Do I? No. Itís pants.
    Itís a much better experience to use Material on a phone or tablet.
    For the friends to surf through your music either get something like an Amazon Fire tablet when they are cheap as a coffee table item or simply tell them your serversí url and let them use their own phones.
    I'll take your steer on this. If i get a tablet, does the alexa voicr skill work ?

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western/Northern New York
    Posts
    1,373
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    get something like an Amazon Fire tablet when they are cheap as a coffee table..
    +1

    I cant comment on Alexa skills, don't use them, but thought I would add my experience on Jim's suggestion.

    I bought two Fire Tablets, Add supported, on our Black Friday week, a 10" for $90USD, an 8" for $55USD, just to have laying around for myself, friends, family...They are real cheap because they are amazon advertisement machines - adds on lock screen, prime, prime and more prime, annoying, and out of the box they do not support apps from non amazon, like the the play store. I think I might have bought the "previous year's" model further contributing to the cheap price. It was one of those "don't need them, but why not?" purchases. I was curious.

    I used Fire Toolbox (thank you XDA) to remove the amazon, add the play store, F-Droid, and the material apk. Along with other stuff, weather app, browser, etc. It's a great tool, and the resulting tablet is real nice, non offensive and restrictive for a cheap price. It is not stock android, but it looks and behaves like it. Fire Toolbox is essential (IMO) for these devices, and free.

    I have access to sb controllers, material and squeeze control on my phone, a harmony remote, and the tablets to control LMS. I find I grab the tablets 90% of the time, they are there on the counter/table, etc. .

    I also find I like the 8" more for just about everything, it's just easier to handle with one hand.

    I have in my minds eye to build a picore "touch substitute" with the pi, hat, fire tablet, in a custom case (rather than use a pi screen), but need to think through the semantics of power, wake on tap/always on, etc. It's a ways down on the list.

    Just my thoughts.

    Jim

    BTW, Thank you Craig, Material is exactly what this echo system needed, what a game changer!

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    221
    the only challenge I've found with Amazon tablets is the inability to change the launcher

    I've been building some control panels for the house using a pi4 with touchscreen, running Lineage OS (Android). Gives me no ads, no google tracking, runs Material for Squeezebox control, apps for household Intercom, CCTV, Heating e.t.c

    hardwired with Ethernet so no wifi issues
    PiCorePlayer 8.2 on Allo Digi One Signature (Lounge)
    PiCorePlayer 8.2 with Hifiberry Digi+ Material running on PI for control (Office)
    PiCorePlayer 8.2 with pi official touchscreen and Hifiberry DAC+(Kitchen)
    Radio (Bedroom)
    PiCorePlayer 8.2 with Allo BOSS DAC (Bedroom)
    PiCorePlayer 8.2 with Hifiberry AMP+. Squeezelite=x for control (Garage)
    PiCorePlayer 8.2 with Hifiberry AMP+(Patio 2)
    PiCorePlayer 8.2 with Hifiberry AMP+(Patio 2)

    LMS 8.3 on unRaid 6.11.5 Server (Seneca HDS)

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    6,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    +1

    I cant comment on Alexa skills, don't use them, but thought I would add my experience on Jim's suggestion.

    I bought two Fire Tablets, Add supported, on our Black Friday week, a 10" for $90USD, an 8" for $55USD, just to have laying around for myself, friends, family...They are real cheap because they are amazon advertisement machines - adds on lock screen, prime, prime and more prime, annoying, and out of the box they do not support apps from non amazon, like the the play store. I think I might have bought the "previous year's" model further contributing to the cheap price. It was one of those "don't need them, but why not?" purchases. I was curious.

    I used Fire Toolbox (thank you XDA) to remove the amazon, add the play store, F-Droid, and the material apk. Along with other stuff, weather app, browser, etc. It's a great tool, and the resulting tablet is real nice, non offensive and restrictive for a cheap price. It is not stock android, but it looks and behaves like it. Fire Toolbox is essential (IMO) for these devices, and free.

    I have access to sb controllers, material and squeeze control on my phone, a harmony remote, and the tablets to control LMS. I find I grab the tablets 90% of the time, they are there on the counter/table, etc. .

    I also find I like the 8" more for just about everything, it's just easier to handle with one hand.

    I have in my minds eye to build a picore "touch substitute" with the pi, hat, fire tablet, in a custom case (rather than use a pi screen), but need to think through the semantics of power, wake on tap/always on, etc. It's a ways down on the list.

    Just my thoughts.

    Jim

    BTW, Thank you Craig, Material is exactly what this echo system needed, what a game changer!
    Quote Originally Posted by markiii View Post
    the only challenge I've found with Amazon tablets is the inability to change the launcher

    I've been building some control panels for the house using a pi4 with touchscreen, running Lineage OS (Android). Gives me no ads, no google tracking, runs Material for Squeezebox control, apps for household Intercom, CCTV, Heating e.t.c

    hardwired with Ethernet so no wifi issues
    I haven't tried it but this article offers some launcher change options - https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/0...stock-android/
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net


    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western/Northern New York
    Posts
    1,373
    Quote Originally Posted by markiii View Post
    the only challenge I've found with Amazon tablets is the inability to change the launcher
    Part of the XDA fire toolbox provides the ability to install the Nova launcher (via custom launcher). Since I was already using nova on my phone, I went ahead. Not sure if you are looking for something different...

    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/w...v26-1.3889604/

    Jim

    <edit - here is a bit of an easy read article on ftb. https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-cus...-fire-toolbox/ >
    Last edited by Redrum; 2022-02-22 at 12:53.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    221
    Does it go straight Nova when you hit home? Last time I tried it brought up the Amazon launcher then immediately changed to Nova?
    PiCorePlayer 8.2 on Allo Digi One Signature (Lounge)
    PiCorePlayer 8.2 with Hifiberry Digi+ Material running on PI for control (Office)
    PiCorePlayer 8.2 with pi official touchscreen and Hifiberry DAC+(Kitchen)
    Radio (Bedroom)
    PiCorePlayer 8.2 with Allo BOSS DAC (Bedroom)
    PiCorePlayer 8.2 with Hifiberry AMP+. Squeezelite=x for control (Garage)
    PiCorePlayer 8.2 with Hifiberry AMP+(Patio 2)
    PiCorePlayer 8.2 with Hifiberry AMP+(Patio 2)

    LMS 8.3 on unRaid 6.11.5 Server (Seneca HDS)

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western/Northern New York
    Posts
    1,373
    Quote Originally Posted by markiii View Post
    Does it go straight Nova when you hit home? Last time I tried it brought up the Amazon launcher then immediately changed to Nova?
    yes, it is only Nova, the amazon launcher is nowhere to be seen.

    Note that I don't know allot about it, I just followed the directions for the fire toolbox. There is a warning (somewhere I can look) to disable auto updates for fear that if an amazon update is pushed through, it will restore the tablet to amazon bloat/control stage.

    My cursory understanding is the fire toolbox does/can do the following - remove amazon ad lockscreen, allow the play store to be added, allow a custom launcher to be added (I think there are others besides Nova, I'll look), and allow you to go in and pick and choose what amazon bloatware to remove. It even gives you a removal is safe/should be ok/risky warning for each.

    It is not a true stock android, but it functions like it is, if that makes sense. There is no amazon to be seen unless you add something to the home screen. .

    Jim

    <edit - If yu read through the article that I posted https://liliputing.com/2022/02/hack-...olbox-v10.html , starting a bit down where it says "Note that the Fire Toolbox will also frequently recommend you block automatic updates from Amazon in order to ensure that hacks you make using the tool aren’t overwritten by future Fire OS updates...."

    The next few paragraphs address using a different launcher, and how various versions of fire OS changed things, and the toolbox tried to address, blah, blah...

    I'll have to look at what version of fire os and toolbox I am running. I just know that I changed things, and the changes stuck, and I have turned the tablet off and on, and the changes remained.

    end edit>
    Last edited by Redrum; 2022-02-22 at 14:48.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •