Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What are the merits and demerits of continuing the track numbers through the disc set or returning to track 1 at the start of each disc?

In the case of Bach's Well Tempered Clavier musical sense suggests track numbering 1-24, but I guess track numbering has no musical significance for The Messiah.

So much for musical considerations, what about the technical view?
    Brian

In UK: rPi4 running LMS, Chromecast Audio Dongle and Chromecast Video Dongle attached to TV - Beresford DAC - Quad 77 Integrated Amp - AVI Neutron 4 Speakers - Sennheiser HD25 Headphones. Boom in Bedroom.

In Nicosia: LMS running on a small form factor Windows PC, Beresford DAC into Quad 405-2 and MB Quart 980s

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    PS
    Always examine the files using mp3tag before rescanning
    Excellent advice, that flags up most possible problems and allows a more well-tempered approach to the tags you are going to live with. When I first did a massive rip of my classical and opera stuff (many hundreds of cds and sets.....), I made a few basic (and more puzzling) set-up errors in the ripping program, and ended up having to do the whole damn thing again.......... These days I seldom rip anything, but even with purchased downloads, I always run them through mp3tag to make sure they are tagged, numbered etc just as I expect them to be.
    8.2.1 - 1639114554
    Win11
    Control: Web GUI; MaterialSkin on Android phones / pads

Machines / devices are in France, in two locations.
    a) Livebox 6
    Internal HDD (FLAC music; mp3 voice), LAN Desktop
    3 x Touch - 1 wireless, 2 LAN. (8.0.1-r16862)
    2 x SB Radios [wireless] (8.0.1-r16881)
    2 x SqueezeAmps

b) Freebox
    External SSD, WiFi Laptop
    1 x Touch LAN (Firmware:8.0.1-r16862)
    2 x SB Radios, Wireless (8.0.1-r16881)

Quote Originally Posted by agbagb View Post
    Excellent advice, that flags up most possible problems and allows a more well-tempered approach to the tags you are going to live with.
    I'm all for the well tempered approach - keep every semi-step the same and make it as rational as possible!

I only have 200 CDs but half of them were ripped 20 years ago using a number of different softwares and conventions - laying another 100 on top of an already untidy library this month gave rise to special problems, but it's almost sorted as I have learned more about tagging.

I have found it easier to use Foobar which I know quite well and reads well the directory structure of my library.

And for ripping I used EAC which I had used before, but I paid for the metadata addon - the free one was useless for my odd collection of CDs.

I don't suppose I will buy many more CDs in my life. I'm really a radio listener. Material Skin makes it easy to organise those clickies.
    Brian

In UK: rPi4 running LMS, Chromecast Audio Dongle and Chromecast Video Dongle attached to TV - Beresford DAC - Quad 77 Integrated Amp - AVI Neutron 4 Speakers - Sennheiser HD25 Headphones. Boom in Bedroom.

In Nicosia: LMS running on a small form factor Windows PC, Beresford DAC into Quad 405-2 and MB Quart 980s

I tend to only buy CDs second hand as I rip them and store them after that. Downloads are great, especially where that version isn't available for streaming. Some download sites have better metatarsal than others. You can actually quite quickly and easily import tags which are compiled from different sources so that the tags are as you like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    I'm all for the well tempered approach - keep every semi-step the same and make it as rational as possible!

I only have 200 CDs but half of them were ripped 20 years ago using a number of different softwares and conventions - laying another 100 on top of an already untidy library this month gave rise to special problems, but it's almost sorted as I have learned more about tagging.

I have found it easier to use Foobar which I know quite well and reads well the directory structure of my library.

And for ripping I used EAC which I had used before, but I paid for the metadata addon - the free one was useless for my odd collection of CDs.

I don't suppose I will buy many more CDs in my life. I'm really a radio listener. Material Skin makes it easy to organise those clickies.

Quote Originally Posted by Shozzer View Post
    I tend to only buy CDs second hand as I rip them and store them
    The Well Tempered Clavier (Book 1) i bought second hand - two CDs for about ú3. Incredible.

I haven't had the cases for my CDs for years. They are all in a Disc Jocky's ring binder from Maplins (of blessed memory.)

2nd hand and rip is the way to go.
    Brian

What are the merits and demerits of continuing the track numbers through the disc set or returning to track 1 at the start of each disc?

In the case of Bach's Well Tempered Clavier musical sense suggests track numbering 1-24, but I guess track numbering has no musical significance for The Messiah.

So much for musical considerations, what about the technical view?
    If you want to see things organised by disc you should either

Make track names include the disc number and ensure disc number tag is applied and place everything in one folder. (The inclusion of disc number in track name avoids the very rare case where there are identically named tracks in the same position on more than one disc which will cause an overwrite when ripping)
    OR
    Use different folders and album names for each disc e.g. Some Opera (Disc One) and Some Opera (Disc Two)

The former is the most logical as Material will ask you to Play All, Play Disc 1, Play Disc 2 etc

If you choose the amalgamated track numbering approach arguably the disc number becomes irrelevant.

However you choose to do it be consistent and always check the tags in mp3tag or foobar2000 before rescanning. mp3tag has rather more features than foobar2000 but if it works for you then great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

I thank everyone for their help and advice. I'm getting there.

I didn't need to, but I thought it would be an interesting exercise to put together the three discs I have that contain Handel's Concerti Grossi Op 6.

Three separate album arts. Meta data all mixed up. Concerti Grossi or Concerto Grosso? The latter and the singular is less pretentious in English, but I had both! Got there in the end.

The other amusement I had was a single disc by Priory Records "Music for the Funeral Service" It's a demo disc to help mourners choose. It came up Artist: J. S. Bach. Well he wrote track 1 (Jesus joy of man's desiring) but not Abide with me! It now shows "Various"!

Priory Records is a small company, but, for those interested, they have a fine collection of Christmas Carols sung by Cathedral and Great Church Choirs. They also do a lot of pipe organ music, if that is your thing. (Not in this flat with my shoebox speakers - but in my Nicosia house some very large MB Quart floorstanders I can go for it.
    Brian

Brian

Your tags, your choice! Classical tags are extremely inconsistent across all the databases / streaming services. Find a style you like and try and consistently follow it through. You can always tweak afterwards if you wish.

I have a number of Priory Records CDs in the Complete Psalms of David series. A nice set from a niche label.

Steve

I thank everyone for their help and advice. I'm getting there.

I didn't need to, but I thought it would be an interesting exercise to put together the three discs I have that contain Handel's Concerti Grossi Op 6.

Three separate album arts. Meta data all mixed up. Concerti Grossi or Concerto Grosso? The latter and the singular is less pretentious in English, but I had both! Got there in the end.

The other amusement I had was a single disc by Priory Records "Music for the Funeral Service" It's a demo disc to help mourners choose. It came up Artist: J. S. Bach. Well he wrote track 1 (Jesus joy of man's desiring) but not Abide with me! It now shows "Various"!

Priory Records is a small company, but, for those interested, they have a fine collection of Christmas Carols sung by Cathedral and Great Church Choirs. They also do a lot of pipe organ music, if that is your thing. (Not in this flat with my shoebox speakers - but in my Nicosia house some very large MB Quart floorstanders I can go for it.