Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Start music from USB device without network

Hi,

Starting PcP on Pi4 without the network, the my music icon is on the screen but you get the message "Download LMS" or "insert A SD" or "connect a storage USB device".
    Is there any way to start the "USB music" ?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
    Hi,

Starting PcP on Pi4 without the network, the my music icon is on the screen but you get the message "Download LMS" or "insert A SD" or "connect a storage USB device".

Thanks!
    You really need to be a bit more explicit about what you have installed and how you intend to use the Pi4. I presume you want to play music files on the USB device.

I note that you aren't networking the Pi4. PiCorePlayer is just the player - it needs a server to stream the music. You can use mysqueezebox.com (which would require internet access) or install Logitech Media Server (you would need an internet connection to download the software, and other aspects of setup). You would need LMS to play local music files.

Robert
    Last edited by Grumpy Bob; 2022-02-05 at 03:51.
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    You really need to be a bit more explicit about what you have installed and how you intend to use the Pi4. I presume you want to play music files on the USB device.
    Exactly !!

I note that you aren't networking the Pi4. PiCorePlayer is just the player - it needs a server to stream the music. You can use mysqueezebox.com (which would require internet access) or install Logitech Media Server (you would need an internet connection to download the software, and other aspects of setup). You would need LMS to play local music files.
    Robert
    I installed Pcp and LMS with the network. Everything works. But if I loose the network it's not possible to read the "USB music".
    Theoretically it should not need a network for that ?
    Thanks Robert

But if I loose the network it's not possible to read the "USB music".
    Theoretically it should not need a network for that ?
    Thanks Robert
    LMS streams audio by network to the player - so you do need something to route packets - even if the data is moving internally.

If you want PCP /LMS combo to operate without a working network connection ,then you need PCP to setup its own network.
    I think this idea was addressed in thread below.
    Look at https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...thout-network&

piCorePlayer wasn't developed with a "standalone device" in mind. Initially it was only a player. It checks for network "things" during the boot process.

Have you read this "Standalone piCorePlayer"?

I don't think any of the developers use a standalone pCP, but we probably should get around to having a "no network" option one day.

Not 100% sure I understand what "USB music" means? All my music is on a USB HDD.

If a Pi is running pCP and has both Squeezelite and LMS installed, does it route music data from its LMS to its Squeezelite via the network? I haven't really thought about that, as I always run my Pi servers and players with network connections.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

If a Pi is running pCP and has both Squeezelite and LMS installed, does it route music data from its LMS to its Squeezelite via the network? I haven't really thought about that, as I always run my Pi servers and players with network
    LMS uses TCP and UDP over IP packets to talk to players and WebUI.

It is up to the OS and the system configuration (not LMS) on how to route the IP packets (e.g. over the real ethernet interface or the loopback interface)
    Last edited by bpa; 2022-02-07 at 02:57.

If a Pi is running pCP and has both Squeezelite and LMS installed, does it route music data from its LMS to its Squeezelite via the network? I haven't really thought about that, as I always run my Pi servers and players with network connections.

Robert
    Yes. Its TCP/IP so needs network but could be run on 127.0.0.1 but only if network is up and I think that's the issue - it starts at boot and uses network to query NTP for time etc
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Hi,

Thanks!
    Not piCorePlayer and most likely some parts of the posting are not anymore relevant, but it may give you ideas ?

https://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/w...layer-for-bbq/

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    I don't think any of the developers use a standalone pCP, but we probably should get around to having a "no network" option one day.
    Music stored on HD or SSD or stick connected to the USB port.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    Standalone is not really my goal. But if you loose the network you canot listen music anymore ! Despite the fact that you have some music on your USB device...