Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie Body View Post
    Originally posted this on the Squeezebox forum. Moved to here following a feedback suggestion.
    Does anyone have a proven method of getting LMS to work or a working version?
    Thanks in advance.
    Annie - I acknowledge you have been amazingly thorough in your troubleshooting and I commend you (as a 30-year IT guy 1.5 years retired your efforts are much beyond my experience!).

But I'm going to do to you what I usually hate for people to do to me (that is, tell me that they've not experienced what I've experienced) - what you describe as necessary is not my experience at all. That is, the need to install an old version of LMS then "update" it to the latest because the latest doesn't install everything. I've installed LMS many, many times (on Windows and Linux) and I've never encountered this necessity. I've always downloaded the latest version from the downloads site and just installed and configured LMS (or, I've used the auto-update process in the LMS Server Config web pages).

I'm thus perplexed by what you say and the experience you've had that leads you to the process you've developed as it seems, well, very odd. I used to run LMS on my office Windows10 PC without the issues you describe (I dupped my home media library to USB and took it to the office and set up and LMS server there which I ran for a number of years).

I know that's not helpful in resolving your issues, but wanted you to know that it may be difficult to get help as I think your experience is quite outside what most of us on this forum experience. Your process seems very thorough - uninstall and remove everything from the Windows Registry, etc. Though I hesitate to say this (again 30 years IT!), but perhaps the Revo app isn't doing what you want it to do? I know manually editing the Registry is a PITA (god knows I've done it enough times when supporting customers), but perhaps (yet another) uninstall/Registry clean, manually reviewing and deleting in the Registry anything LMS related, then a fresh install of the latest LMS server (I apologize if you've actually done this)? Also, before reinstalling, to get a "clean" system, have you cleaned out your user account AppData folders of anything LMS-related? Look at all three (Local, Roaming, etc.)?

A respondent suggested setting up a RaspberryPi as an alternative to using LMS on Windows10 and though that does not solve your issue directly (it requires purchases, etc.) I can say, again from experience, that this is really a terrific way to go. I personally use two RPi systems. One is in my Living Room connected by ethernet cable to my DSL router and by USB directly to my NAS (where my music files are). It runs both an LMS server and a SqueezeLite application (that appears as a music player in the LMS web UI). The second is in my bedroom and it runs just SqueezeLite. I use the terrific piCorePlayer as my LMS system. It is remarkably good and stable. And for less than $150 I get a standalone, compact, functional LMS system that I don't have to futz with much once it's set up. And it's never horked by Windows10 updates (as my Microsoft Surface recently was requiring a complete Windows reinstall). The piCorePlayer UI provides all you need for configuring SqueezeLite and installing LMS (just a click on a button and off you go). You'll have to set up how piCorePlayer "finds" your music library, but once that's done it's easy peasy. Just a thought - doesn't get you going today, but perhaps an idea for avoiding these issues with your Windows10 system?

I suggest you read up on Windows UAC mechanics. Also I'm unsure what the purpose of that tray icon is supposed to be other than when you are running LMS in your own user space which I don't think is meant to be as you referenced `a service`. It seems to me that you are trying to bugfix what is not a bug at all.

As a dedicated Windows user, I don't have much to add to what's already been said as to trying a completely clean install of the latest LMS version. But I would add this - I've used LMS and Squeezeboxes of one sort or another for *decades* on Windows (currently 11) with hardly any problems whatsoever. So, while I in no way decry the moves some make to Pi systems etc, there is currently no reason whatever why you should not get a fully working, fully reliable, PC-based LMS world. It's annoying to you (and others here!) that it's not working for you just now - but the issue is just not inherent to Windows, as some seem sometimes to suggest.....
    8.2.1 - 1639114554
    Win11
    Control: Web GUI; MaterialSkin on Android phones / pads

Machines / devices are in France, in two locations.
    a) Livebox 5
    Internal HDD (FLAC music; mp3 voice), LAN Desktop
    3 x Touch - 1 wireless, 2 LAN. (8.0.1-r16862)
    2 x SB Radios [wireless] (8.0.1-r16867)
    2 x SqueezeAmps

b) Freebox
    External SSD, WiFi Laptop
    1 x Touch LAN (Firmware:8.0.1-r16862)
    2 x SB Radios, Wireless (8.0.1-r16867)

Quote Originally Posted by agbagb View Post
    As a dedicated Windows user, I don't have much to add to what's already been said as to trying a completely clean install of the latest LMS version. But I would add this - I've used LMS and Squeezeboxes of one sort or another for *decades* on Windows (currently 11) with hardly any problems whatsoever. So, while I in no way decry the moves some make to Pi systems etc, there is currently no reason whatever why you should not get a fully working, fully reliable, PC-based LMS world. It's annoying to you (and others here!) that it's not working for you just now - but the issue is just not inherent to Windows, as some seem sometimes to suggest.....
    I agree 100% with most of this, but if your comment at the end that "some seem to suggest" Windows is the problem is just not true. Every post suggested that a clean install should work, but maybe getting the tray icon would take a bit of twiddling, but as @gordon b3 suggested (and others as well) the tray icon is irrelevant. Before i ditched running LMS on windows, I do remember this icon disappearing as well. It might have been because of an update, or win 7 to win 10, can't remember, but I have seen what the OP reports. But it just doesn't matter.

I apologize if my disdain for windows led anyone to think that I was saying that the OS was the culprit. It was not my intent, but <as I get up on my soapbox> I am sure there are many others that lived through the blue screen of death, which they changed to the black screen of death, which has now morphed to the endless message "windows is trying to repair your computer" can agree that it is a poorly developed and frustrating product <steps down from soapbox>.

I have 4 windows machines I need to keep running, and I swear I rebuild one every year. I just finished a 8 hour "windows is repairing your computer" that actually worked! It uninstalled a recent update that had black screened my computer. Yes, I have "move to linux" on my list

I do hope the OP posts back and tells us that he is up and running

Jim

Mind you, I've had the blue-screen-of-death on Madame's Mac twice last year! And her iPhone's power management is presently a pain in the a** ....

That LMS taskbar icon thing in Windows is a puzzle to me - and not just LMS. Mostly it's "just there" - but sometimes (especially after a Win update) it isn't, and has to be manually pushed up.

BTW, I am thinking of going Pi myself when we next move house (which should be this year.....) and I want a serious redesign; so I'm always happy to hear happy users' tales! My only hesitation is a lurking sense that the whole LMS word - dearly though I love it - may start to get really toublesome as more router upgrades and redesigns roll into service. We shall see.

Hope we hear from the OP again soon - my money is on something in retained preferences having got corrupted. But it's so easy (under Windows!!!!) to think that a re-istall is completely clean, and to find that in fact it isn't....
    8.2.1 - 1639114554
    Win11

a) Livebox 5
    2 x SqueezeAmps

b) Freebox

Mind you, I've had the blue-screen-of-death on Madame's Mac twice last year! And her iPhone's power management is presently a pain in the a** ....

That LMS taskbar icon thing in Windows is a puzzle to me - and not just LMS. Mostly it's "just there" - but sometimes (especially after a Win update) it isn't, and has to be manually pushed up.

BTW, I am thinking of going Pi myself when we next move house (which should be this year.....) and I want a serious redesign; so I'm always happy to hear happy users' tales! My only hesitation is a lurking sense that the whole LMS word - dearly though I love it - may start to get really toublesome as more router upgrades and redesigns roll into service. We shall see.

Hope we hear from the OP again soon - my money is on something in retained preferences having got corrupted. But it's so easy (under Windows!!!!) to think that a re-istall is completely clean, and to find that in fact it isn't....
    As someone posted above the issue is most likely Windows UAC. Microsoft introduced a new level inside W10 at some point and it’s not at all clear to the average Joe how it works.
    However if you install by right clicking the installer and choosing “Run as Administrator” then LMS should install as a service correctly.
    Often users who are “Administrators” think this step isn’t necessary but it is. Google - Elevated privileges.

I use Windows PCs as my main work machines and admin networks full of them and I would choose Windows over a Linux desktop every time but for LMS I’m strictly Linux or piCorePlayer these days and have been for years. Most server side software runs better on Linux imo. It’s more stable and OS upgrades happen when I want them to not at the whim of some bloke in Redmond.
    Just my 2p
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    As someone posted above the issue is most likely Windows UAC. Microsoft introduced a new level inside W10 at some point and it’s not at all clear to the average Joe how it works.
    However if you install by right clicking the installer and choosing “Run as Administrator” then LMS should install as a service correctly.
    Often users who are “Administrators” think this step isn’t necessary but it is. Google - Elevated privileges.

snip

Maybe I did that when I installed LMS on this Win10 (now Win11) laptop - though I don't recall doing so, or thinking about the issue. How can I (and indeed the OP) check whether I did or not? Regardless, LMS has been very stable in this configuration.
    8.2.1 - 1639114554
    Win11

a) Livebox 5
    2 x SqueezeAmps

b) Freebox

Maybe I did that when I installed LMS on this Win10 (now Win11) laptop - though I don't recall doing so, or thinking about the issue. How can I (and indeed the OP) check whether I did or not? Regardless, LMS has been very stable in this configuration.
    I don’t recall when it was introduced but I am sure it wasn’t always in W10.
    If your install works then it doesn’t matter.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Being `that someone who mentioned UAC` the purpose of UAC was to safeguard those that are less nerdy from culprits corrupting their computer for whatever reason. In practice UAC confronts people so many times that the people it means to protect have got used to simply click `Yes` on every pop-up without taking note. And yes it can get very confusing when you installed something and at first you can't access it because Windows will prevent applications to communicate with each other (through internal methods - i.e. file based sockets) when they run in different elevation modes and not produce any meaningful error whatsoever. If that happens to you and you don't understand what's going on, just restart and you should be fine 99.9% of the time.

Also worth noting that if Windows prompts you that you have to reboot to finish an uninstall then you need to do so before running a new install because what the prompt means is that Windows has marked some files to be deleted at boot time and will continue to do so even if you replaced those files with newer versions afterwards and thus your new installation will be crippled.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonb3 View Post
    snip

Also worth noting that if Windows prompts you that you have to reboot to finish an uninstall then you need to do so before running a new install because what the prompt means is that Windows has marked some files to be deleted at boot time and will continue to do so even if you replaced those files with newer versions afterwards and thus your new installation will be crippled.
    I never really knew that! I do habitually re-boot, though I never really knew why! Very useful to tuck away, that advice - thanks!
    8.2.1 - 1639114554
    Win11

a) Livebox 5
    2 x SqueezeAmps

b) Freebox