Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hybrid View

More JSON handling routines in LMS builds?

Philippe's recent post about Crypto reminded me of this.

I'd like something that would allow me to specify json in a similar way to how XPath does for XML.
    I think this would allow me to remove code I have that checks for certain elements being present in a received JSON document and instead move it out to a configuration file that checks an XPath-like definition.

In my messy code I have a bunch of if/then/else statements testing the received json from various radio stations to determine which format it is in so that I can subsequently parse it correctly.
    I have made the subsequent parsing code simpler than it used to be by having song & programme field names in a config file per station group.

I could put real Perl code in the config files and then eval it but I don't think that is a good way of doing things.

If I could put a XPath like statement in there as well then I could simplify things further.

Perhaps JSON::Path ... it looks to me like it has a lot of dependencies that are currently not met in standard LMS installation and I think some are not pure Perl so would mean compiling and packaging binaries for the various platforms which is something I don't really want to get into.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

> I'd like something that would allow me to specify json in a similar way
    > to how XPath does for XML.

I'm not familiar with XPath. Can you elaborate what you're trying to do?

I would like to replace lots of bits of code that are variants on

Code:
    if (ref($perl_data) ne "ARRAY" && 
        exists $perl_data->{"data"} && 
          exists $perl_data->{"data"}->{"TitleDiffusions"} && ref($perl_data->{"data"}->{"TitleDiffusions"}) eq "ARRAY" )
    with something in my config file that results in something like
    my @paths = [ '$root/TitleDiffusions[0]' ];

Then the if statement becomes something like ...
    Code:
    my $matched = true;
    foreach my $path ( @paths ){
        my $jpath = JSON::Path->new($path);

$matched = false  if $jpath->values($perl_data) == 0;

}

if ( $matched ){
     // process it
    etc
    etc
    }
    Another "if" looks like this ...
    Code:
    if (ref($perl_data) ne "ARRAY" && 
    			  exists $perl_data->{"id_playlst"} && exists $perl_data->{"update_tm"} && 
    			  exists $perl_data->{"itms"} && ref($perl_data->{"itms"}) eq "ARRAY" )
    which would become
    Code:
    $paths = [
                    '$root/id_playlst',
                    '$root/update_tm',
                    '$root/itms[0]',
                  ];
    Last edited by Paul Webster; 2022-01-24 at 05:07. Reason: Edited to put in ->values (yes - I know mh won't see it but it is not supposed to be real code anyway!)
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Ah, ok, that makes a lot of sense. I've been thinking about how to
    simplify this, too. But I was looking at it from a JS perspective, where
    lodash is a very popular library (see eg.
    https://lodash.com/docs/4.17.15#get). The problem I'm seeing with this
    approach is that a user would have to have the latest LMS in order to
    run your plugin.

I could make my own mini-parser that only handles the specifics that I care about rather than using an all encompassing one.
    Then I could have my own syntax and possibly include an OR operator which I could make use of but would not get from the module I referred to.

So ignore this for now and I'll experiment.
    Paul Webster