No Album No Artist

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • d6jg
    • Feb 2011

It pays to carefully set up dbPoweramp to rip your CD's in something like the following format - 1-01 - trackname.flac, where 1 = Disc no, 01 = track number - this avoids the occasional situation where a multi disk CD has identically named tracks on more than 1 Cd which happen to be in the same place track number wise. I have seen it.
    It's also the time to consider whether you want to add replay gain tags which can easily be configured in dbPoweramp - perhaps not so much an issue with Classical music but definitely worth it in pop/rock collections.
    Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• Labarum
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by d6jg
      Lots of us have many more than 1000!
      That's a bit careless!

You will probably know off the top of you head: how much disc space do I need for 200 CDs?
      Brian

In UK: rPi4 running LMS, Chromecast Audio Dongle and Chromecast Video Dongle attached to TV - Beresford DAC - Quad 77 Integrated Amp - AVI Neutron 4 Speakers - Sennheiser HD25 Headphones. Boom in Bedroom.

In Nicosia: LMS running on a small form factor Windows PC, Beresford DAC into Quad 405-2 and MB Quart 980s

Comment

• d6jg
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Labarum
        That's a bit careless!

You will probably know off the top of you head: how much disc space do I need for 200 CDs?
        I don't. I have about 3500 using just under 1TB
        Jim

Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

Comment

• d6jg
          • Feb 2011

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-01-21 14_18_22-Window.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1574290

Name:	2022-01-21 14_19_44-Window.jpg
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1574291
          Jim

Comment

• Labarum
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by d6jg
            I don't. I have about 3500 using just under 1TB
            200*1000/3500 = ~60GB

3500 is a big enough number to establish an accurate average.

If my discs go on 60GB then a 128GB micro SD card is twice as big as I need for operating system and data! And they are dirt cheap.

That seems to be the way forward and I get everything on a little box the size of a pack of cards!
            Brian

In UK: rPi4 running LMS, Chromecast Audio Dongle and Chromecast Video Dongle attached to TV - Beresford DAC - Quad 77 Integrated Amp - AVI Neutron 4 Speakers - Sennheiser HD25 Headphones. Boom in Bedroom.

In Nicosia: LMS running on a small form factor Windows PC, Beresford DAC into Quad 405-2 and MB Quart 980s

Comment

• RobbH
              • Jun 2017

....how much disc space do I need for 200 CDs?
              The amount of space required to store a CD with flac compression will vary, depending on the complexity of the waveform (full orchestra will probably need more space than a recording of solo flute) and the length of the recording (a reissue of a 40-minute LP with no added material will need less space than a full CD with 70+ minutes of the same material). Around 300 Megabytes per CD seems to be a good approximation. In a quick check just now, I saw some CDs that were under 250 MB, and a few that were over 400 MB. Chances are good that you'll get everything to fit on a 128 GB SD card; if not, 256 GB cards are available. And, as suggested, be sure you back up that card!
              Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with a mix of Squeezebox Radio, Boom, Touch, and virtual players.

Comment

• Labarum
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by RobbH
                Chances are good that you'll get everything to fit on a 128 GB SD card; if not, 256 GB cards are available.
                Thanks Rob.

I remembered I had a spare Scandisk Extra 64GB that was in my wife's phone - but she has a new phone. My brain finally got into gear and I remembered I stuffed it into my 7" Samsung Tablet for safekeeping; and remembered I have my FLAC collection on it. When I transferred it to my Chromebook I noted the 64GB was only half full, and there are three 24/96 albums in the FLAC folder. For some reason the folder has three copies of the same Gimell (Hyperion) download - two in FLAC and and one in ALAC. Why I have it three times I cannot say, but gobbles space.

Listening to it now - I had forgotten how clear it was!

I'm tempted to try that 64GB card as a training exercise, but a bigger one wouldn't break the bank!
                Brian

Comment

• kidstypike
                  • Feb 2007

200*1000/3500 = ~60GB

3500 is a big enough number to establish an accurate average.

If my discs go on 60GB then a 128GB micro SD card is twice as big as I need for operating system and data! And they are dirt cheap.

That seems to be the way forward and I get everything on a little box the size of a pack of cards!
                  It's not straightforward though.

You would need to create an image of your present SD card, and burn that to your new bigger SD card. Or start afresh.

You then have 2 options, resize partition 2 to fill the Whole card, or create a 3rd partition for your music. This apparently isn't recommended.

Whichever option you choose, I'm not sure how you would create a usable backup strategy.

Name:	partitions.jpg
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1574293
                  Pi5 .. pCP 9beta5 .. LMS 8.4 -- nomysqueezebox
                  Study - Pi2B .. S.M.S.L SU-1 .. Q Acoustics M20
                  Snug/TV .. DAC32 .. Audio Engine B2
                  Spares - 1xSBTouch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

• kidstypike
                    • Feb 2007

Thanks Rob.

I remembered I had a spare Scandisk Extra 64GB that was in my wife's phone - but she has a new phone. My brain finally got into gear and I remembered I stuffed it into my 7" Samsung Tablet for safekeeping; and remembered I have my FLAC collection on it. When I transferred it to my Chromebook I noted the 64GB was only half full, and there are three 24/96 albums in the FLAC folder. For some reason the folder has three copies of the same Gimell (Hyperion) download - two in FLAC and and one in ALAC. Why I have it three times I cannot say, but gobbles space.

Listening to it now - I had forgotten how clear it was!

I'm tempted to try that 64GB card as a training exercise, but a bigger one wouldn't break the bank!
                    You can't use that 64GB card in your pi with the music files already on it. You need to burn an image to it, which would reformat the card and remove your music.
                    Pi5 .. pCP 9beta5 .. LMS 8.4 -- nomysqueezebox
                    Study - Pi2B .. S.M.S.L SU-1 .. Q Acoustics M20
                    Snug/TV .. DAC32 .. Audio Engine B2
                    Spares - 1xSBTouch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

• Labarum
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by kidstypike
                      It's not straightforward though.
                      There is a YouTube tutorial on how set up an rPi, and that is how he does it. to do it. He does not point to the "Not Recommended" warning. What is the general view in this forum?

Step by step installation of piCorePlayer with Logitech media server with material skin and other tips, tricks and my opinion about this software solution fo...

Look 6min20sec in.

I do have a 128GB USB stick I was looking at it a couple of hours ago. It's a button rather than a stick so would sit close up to the case of the rPi. That is another way to do it - I suppose the data store does not have to be as fast as the microSD card. Doing that means I do not have to mess with the Boot Disk. (Except to make sure I have a backup!)

Knowledgeable opinions would be welcome.
                      Brian

Comment

• Labarum
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by kidstypike
                        You can't use that 64GB card in your pi with the music files already on it. You need to burn an image to it, which would reformat the card and remove your music.
                        Understood.

The 64GB card has an out of date version of the FLAC library anyway. I did a lot of editing yesterday.

(And answer out of sequence.)
                        Last edited by Labarum; 2022-01-21, 16:47.
                        Brian

Comment

• RobbH
                          • Jun 2017

I do have a 128GB USB stick I was looking at it a couple of hours ago. It's a button rather than a stick so would sit close up to the case of the rPi. That is another way to do it - I suppose the data store does not have to be as fast as the microSD card. Doing that means I do not have to mess with the Boot Disk. (Except to make sure I have a backup!)

Knowledgeable opinions would be welcome.
                          You will certainly get some knowledgeable opinions. Mine, however, is more opinion than knowledge. I prefer to have the music on a usb flash drive and the operating system on the SD card. I think (but could easily be wrong) that in that case the usb drive is SLIGHTLY less likely to corrupted than the SD card in the event of a power interruption. Both need to be backed up, though.
                          Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with a mix of Squeezebox Radio, Boom, Touch, and virtual players.

Comment

• Man in a van
                            • Jan 2011

My preference is :

Keep the OS on a small capacity card; 16gb is more than enough, expand the files system to 2gb at the max

Use a usb stick (I currently have a system with a 128gb stick) with the music files on, plugged into the rpi.

Alternately a 2.5 inch usb hd drive (not a SSD)

KISS

Format the stick / drive to suit the computer OS which stores a back up of the music files.

Back up the OS on the SD card (this will preserve cache, preferences and pathways)

ronnie

Spread the risk

Comment

• Labarum
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Man in a van
                              Keep the OS on a small capacity card; 16gb is more than enough

Use a usb stick (I currently have a system with a 128gb stick) with the music files on, plugged into the rpi.
                              That's the way I will be going. Thanks.

My 1TB drive I can put back on the telly - I don't need 1TB for a 200 CD collection which I will not be expanding.
                              Brian

Comment

• Labarum
                                • Sep 2008

I got my flac library copied from my 1TB USB hard drive and will put that back on the TV.

The flacs are now of a new 128GB USB flash drive - the button sort, so it looks very neat.

I did have a problem getting the library re-scanned. I tried everything and really was floundering in the dark. LMS said it recognised the new storage and mount point, and I established a Samba share on the Chromebook and could see the flacs.

But they would not scan! I switched from the Material skin to the default skin and the library scanned. Well I don't know!

All now seems well, and I have 88GB free on the 128GB flash drive - that's more than enough for the CDs I have never ripped, and for any more I might buy in my remaining years!

I thank everyone for their help, patience and generosity.
                                Brian

Comment

Working...