Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    It pays to carefully set up dbPoweramp to rip your CD's in something like the following format - 1-01 - trackname.flac, where 1 = Disc no, 01 = track number - this avoids the occasional situation where a multi disk CD has identically named tracks on more than 1 Cd which happen to be in the same place track number wise. I have seen it.
    It's also the time to consider whether you want to add replay gain tags which can easily be configured in dbPoweramp - perhaps not so much an issue with Classical music but definitely worth it in pop/rock collections.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Lots of us have many more than 1000!
    That's a bit careless!

You will probably know off the top of you head: how much disc space do I need for 200 CDs?
    Brian

In UK: rPi4 running LMS, Chromecast Audio Dongle and Chromecast Video Dongle attached to TV - Beresford DAC - Quad 77 Integrated Amp - AVI Neutron 4 Speakers - Sennheiser HD25 Headphones. Boom in Bedroom.

In Nicosia: LMS running on a small form factor Windows PC, Beresford DAC into Quad 405-2 and MB Quart 980s

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    That's a bit careless!

You will probably know off the top of you head: how much disc space do I need for 200 CDs?
    I don't. I have about 3500 using just under 1TB
    Jim

Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

Name:  2022-01-21 14_18_22-Window.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  87.7 KB

Name:  2022-01-21 14_19_44-Window.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  80.2 KB
    Jim

Dining Room SB Radio

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I don't. I have about 3500 using just under 1TB
    200*1000/3500 = ~60GB

3500 is a big enough number to establish an accurate average.

If my discs go on 60GB then a 128GB micro SD card is twice as big as I need for operating system and data! And they are dirt cheap.

That seems to be the way forward and I get everything on a little box the size of a pack of cards!
    Brian

In UK: rPi4 running LMS, Chromecast Audio Dongle and Chromecast Video Dongle attached to TV - Beresford DAC - Quad 77 Integrated Amp - AVI Neutron 4 Speakers - Sennheiser HD25 Headphones. Boom in Bedroom.

In Nicosia: LMS running on a small form factor Windows PC, Beresford DAC into Quad 405-2 and MB Quart 980s

....how much disc space do I need for 200 CDs?
    The amount of space required to store a CD with flac compression will vary, depending on the complexity of the waveform (full orchestra will probably need more space than a recording of solo flute) and the length of the recording (a reissue of a 40-minute LP with no added material will need less space than a full CD with 70+ minutes of the same material). Around 300 Megabytes per CD seems to be a good approximation. In a quick check just now, I saw some CDs that were under 250 MB, and a few that were over 400 MB. Chances are good that you'll get everything to fit on a 128 GB SD card; if not, 256 GB cards are available. And, as suggested, be sure you back up that card!
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    Chances are good that you'll get everything to fit on a 128 GB SD card; if not, 256 GB cards are available.
    Thanks Rob.

I remembered I had a spare Scandisk Extra 64GB that was in my wife's phone - but she has a new phone. My brain finally got into gear and I remembered I stuffed it into my 7" Samsung Tablet for safekeeping; and remembered I have my FLAC collection on it. When I transferred it to my Chromebook I noted the 64GB was only half full, and there are three 24/96 albums in the FLAC folder. For some reason the folder has three copies of the same Gimell (Hyperion) download - two in FLAC and and one in ALAC. Why I have it three times I cannot say, but gobbles space.

Listening to it now - I had forgotten how clear it was!

I'm tempted to try that 64GB card as a training exercise, but a bigger one wouldn't break the bank!
    Brian

200*1000/3500 = ~60GB

3500 is a big enough number to establish an accurate average.

If my discs go on 60GB then a 128GB micro SD card is twice as big as I need for operating system and data! And they are dirt cheap.

That seems to be the way forward and I get everything on a little box the size of a pack of cards!
    It's not straightforward though.

You would need to create an image of your present SD card, and burn that to your new bigger SD card. Or start afresh.

You then have 2 options, resize partition 2 to fill the Whole card, or create a 3rd partition for your music. This apparently isn't recommended.

Whichever option you choose, I'm not sure how you would create a usable backup strategy.

Name:  partitions.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  107.9 KB
    LMS server/study player - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.1.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > Topping E30 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Echo Show 8
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, 1xDAC32, 1xCORE32

Thanks Rob.

I remembered I had a spare Scandisk Extra 64GB that was in my wife's phone - but she has a new phone. My brain finally got into gear and I remembered I stuffed it into my 7" Samsung Tablet for safekeeping; and remembered I have my FLAC collection on it. When I transferred it to my Chromebook I noted the 64GB was only half full, and there are three 24/96 albums in the FLAC folder. For some reason the folder has three copies of the same Gimell (Hyperion) download - two in FLAC and and one in ALAC. Why I have it three times I cannot say, but gobbles space.

Listening to it now - I had forgotten how clear it was!

I'm tempted to try that 64GB card as a training exercise, but a bigger one wouldn't break the bank!
    You can't use that 64GB card in your pi with the music files already on it. You need to burn an image to it, which would reformat the card and remove your music.
    LMS server/study player - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.1.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > Topping E30 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Echo Show 8
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, 1xDAC32, 1xCORE32

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    It's not straightforward though.
    There is a YouTube tutorial on how set up an rPi, and that is how he does it. to do it. He does not point to the "Not Recommended" warning. What is the general view in this forum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMaqasfN3w0

Look 6min20sec in.

I do have a 128GB USB stick I was looking at it a couple of hours ago. It's a button rather than a stick so would sit close up to the case of the rPi. That is another way to do it - I suppose the data store does not have to be as fast as the microSD card. Doing that means I do not have to mess with the Boot Disk. (Except to make sure I have a backup!)

Knowledgeable opinions would be welcome.
    Brian