Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    You can't use that 64GB card in your pi with the music files already on it. You need to burn an image to it, which would reformat the card and remove your music.
    Understood.

The 64GB card has an out of date version of the FLAC library anyway. I did a lot of editing yesterday.

(And answer out of sequence.)
    Last edited by Labarum; 2022-01-21 at 09:47.
    Brian

In UK: rPi4 running LMS, Chromecast Audio Dongle and Chromecast Video Dongle attached to TV - Beresford DAC - Quad 77 Integrated Amp - AVI Neutron 4 Speakers - Sennheiser HD25 Headphones. Boom in Bedroom.

In Nicosia: LMS running on a small form factor Windows PC, Beresford DAC into Quad 405-2 and MB Quart 980s

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    I do have a 128GB USB stick I was looking at it a couple of hours ago. It's a button rather than a stick so would sit close up to the case of the rPi. That is another way to do it - I suppose the data store does not have to be as fast as the microSD card. Doing that means I do not have to mess with the Boot Disk. (Except to make sure I have a backup!)

Knowledgeable opinions would be welcome.
    You will certainly get some knowledgeable opinions. Mine, however, is more opinion than knowledge. I prefer to have the music on a usb flash drive and the operating system on the SD card. I think (but could easily be wrong) that in that case the usb drive is SLIGHTLY less likely to corrupted than the SD card in the event of a power interruption. Both need to be backed up, though.
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

My preference is :

Keep the OS on a small capacity card; 16gb is more than enough, expand the files system to 2gb at the max

Use a usb stick (I currently have a system with a 128gb stick) with the music files on, plugged into the rpi.

Alternately a 2.5 inch usb hd drive (not a SSD)

KISS

Format the stick / drive to suit the computer OS which stores a back up of the music files.

Back up the OS on the SD card (this will preserve cache, preferences and pathways)

ronnie

Spread the risk

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Keep the OS on a small capacity card; 16gb is more than enough

Use a usb stick (I currently have a system with a 128gb stick) with the music files on, plugged into the rpi.
    That's the way I will be going. Thanks.

My 1TB drive I can put back on the telly - I don't need 1TB for a 200 CD collection which I will not be expanding.
    Brian

In UK: rPi4 running LMS, Chromecast Audio Dongle and Chromecast Video Dongle attached to TV - Beresford DAC - Quad 77 Integrated Amp - AVI Neutron 4 Speakers - Sennheiser HD25 Headphones. Boom in Bedroom.

In Nicosia: LMS running on a small form factor Windows PC, Beresford DAC into Quad 405-2 and MB Quart 980s

I got my flac library copied from my 1TB USB hard drive and will put that back on the TV.

The flacs are now of a new 128GB USB flash drive - the button sort, so it looks very neat.

I did have a problem getting the library re-scanned. I tried everything and really was floundering in the dark. LMS said it recognised the new storage and mount point, and I established a Samba share on the Chromebook and could see the flacs.

But they would not scan! I switched from the Material skin to the default skin and the library scanned. Well I don't know!

All now seems well, and I have 88GB free on the 128GB flash drive - that's more than enough for the CDs I have never ripped, and for any more I might buy in my remaining years!

I thank everyone for their help, patience and generosity.
    Brian

I got my flac library copied from my 1TB USB hard drive and will put that back on the TV.

The flacs are now of a new 128GB USB flash drive - the button sort, so it looks very neat.

I did have a problem getting the library re-scanned. I tried everything and really was floundering in the dark. LMS said it recognised the new storage and mount point, and I established a Samba share on the Chromebook and could see the flacs.

But they would not scan! I switched from the Material skin to the default skin and the library scanned. Well I don't know!

All now seems well, and I have 88GB free on the 128GB flash drive - that's more than enough for the CDs I have never ripped, and for any more I might buy in my remaining years!

I thank everyone for their help, patience and generosity.
    If you used the rescan button alongside the folder path, they do nothing in the "Material" and "Classic" skin. They only work in the "Default" skin. Use the button at the bottom.

Name:  rescan buttons.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  64.1 KB
    LMS server/study player - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.1.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > Topping E30 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Echo Show 8
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, 1xDAC32, 1xCORE32

If you used the rescan button alongside the folder path, they do nothing in the "Material" and "Classic" skin.
    Yes, I was always using the bottom button! Crazy. If I changed the path, it would fail to scan a revert to the old path.

But the job is done.
    Brian

Just a thought:

If the rPi is on and online 24/7/365 I could plug in a USB hard drive and use it as a bit of backup storage "on the side". I could access it conveniently with samba. Most of my files are in more than one place in the cloud, but some local backup might be an extra safety precaution.

Is that possible? Is that advisable? Would it impact on the music server?
    Brian

Just a thought:

If the rPi is on and online 24/7/365 I could plug in a USB hard drive and use it as a bit of backup storage "on the side". I could access it conveniently with samba. Most of my files are in more than one place in the cloud, but some local backup might be an extra safety precaution.

Is that possible? Is that advisable? Would it impact on the music server?
    Yes of course, no problem, the pi is then acting as a NAS, files can be shared by any computer on the network, I use this method myself, no impact on LMS that I've ever noticed.
    LMS server/study player - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.1.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > Topping E30 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Echo Show 8
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, 1xDAC32, 1xCORE32

Yes of course, no problem, the pi is then acting as a NAS, files can be shared by any computer on the network, I use this method myself, no impact on LMS that I've ever noticed.
    Or I could get another 128 or even a 64GB flash drive that would make it very tidy! Text files and pdfs are not huge!
    Brian