Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by webnick View Post
    And it is solved! And Paul was Right! It appears to have been a power situation: Topping provides 2 USB Cables, one for power and one for data, and an AC adapter for the USB cable. Well, in looking again at that set up, I felt the AC adaptor was flimsy so I took a Samsung AC adapter I had lying around and replaced the Topping adapter, and voila the E30 came to (USB) life and pCP now showed the E30 in the "Output setting" drop down box. So Radio Paradise is now playing via USB.

So THANK YOU Paul! And a sincere thanks to everyone else as well for trying to help me.

Now on to the LMS end of this project. By the way, is Material Skin available for pCP?
    There was no AC adapter supplied with my Topping E30.

Material Skin is an LMS plugin, installed from LMS > Settings > Plugins.
    LMS server/study player - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.1.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > Topping E30 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Echo Show 8
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, 1xDAC32, 1xCORE32

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    There was no AC adapter supplied with my Topping E30.
    Same for me.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Are you sure Topping supplied an AC adaptor? I am pretty sure they don't supply one.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Right again! I'd assumed the adapter was from Topping since the power cable was from Topping and it had been plugging away for quite some time now in the main system. But the Topping manual shows it didn't come with an adapter and the adapter I replaced wasn't labeled Topping. All of !this! for a proper adapter! Thanks again Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    By default, pCP has no windows system and no browser, therefore its a bit of an effort to get Material Skin working.

EDIT: I assume you mean to have Material Skin instead of Jivelite on your 7" screen?
    That would be nice. My Squeezebox 3 and the Pi Touch could have the same display. Is there a tutorial for that?

Right again! I'd assumed the adapter was from Topping since the power cable was from Topping and it had been plugging away for quite some time now in the main system. But the Topping manual shows it didn't come with an adapter and the adapter I replaced wasn't labeled Topping. All of !this! for a proper adapter! Thanks again Paul.
    I use an old Samsung phone charger for mine as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

That would be nice. My Squeezebox 3 and the Pi Touch could have the same display. Is there a tutorial for that?
    You seem to be a bit confused, and you're confusing everyone here.

Material skin is a skin for LMS web UI, it is only available for web browsers, or there's an .apk for an Android phone, it looks like this.

Name:  material01.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  122.0 KB

The SB3 you mention has a VDU screen and looks like this.

Name:  material02.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  28.4 KB

But perhaps you meant a Squeezebox Touch, which looks like this.

Name:  material03.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  33.4 KB

If you meant a Squeezebox Touch then you should install Jivelite on your "Pi Touch" - pCP > Tweaks > Jivelite. It looks like this.

Name:  pi screen.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  220.6 KB
    LMS server/study player - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.1.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > Topping E30 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Echo Show 8
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, 1xDAC32, 1xCORE32

Hi Kids. No doubt that I've been and will be confused - there is a lot of confusing information out there on these topics, and much of the information is not laid out in a way that is easy for non-pros to digest (sort of why the field of tech writers exist). Look at this particular issue: it is posted in many places that you can install LMS on pCP, and that you can install MS over LMS (e.g., "Material Skin is an LMS plugin, installed from LMS > Settings > Plugins") - so a simple minded, non-tech person like myself could easily come to the conclusion that MS can be installed on a pCP since LMS can be installed in pCP. I know now that one can't, despite the fact that I saw a post somewhere that said while it "is tricky" it can be done. I'll assume for now that it is not possible. So, sorry if I confused anyone else out there - please listen to you, Paul and Greg, and others in these forums that are pros. FWIW, is this how to state it properly: MS may be installed in place of the LMS GUI where the LMS GUI is browser based, such that MS may not be installed in LMS that is installed in pCP where pCP's GUI is Jivelite since Jivelite is not a browser?

could easily come to the conclusion that MS can be installed on a pCP since LMS can be installed in pCP. I know now that one can't, despite the fact that I saw a post somewhere that said while it "is tricky" it can be done. I'll assume for now that it is not possible. So, sorry if I confused anyone else out there - please listen to you, Paul and Greg, and others in these forums that are pros. FWIW, is this how to state it properly: MS may be installed in place of the LMS GUI where the LMS GUI is browser based, such that MS may not be installed in LMS that is installed in pCP where pCP's GUI is Jivelite since Jivelite is not a browser?
    Or another way of saying it ...
    MS is installed as a plugin on LMS (and it can be installed on pCP where it is running LMS).
    It presents a web interface so needs a web browser to access it.
    pCP (today) does not have a web browser built in so to use MS on LMS on pCP you need something with a web browser ... like a modern mobile phone, tablet or computer with a desktop interface.

Jivelite is the same software that runs on a Squeezebox Touch. It is a standalone application and not a web interface and does not provide a web interface for other systems to access.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

I wish I had time to make a flow chart. But Servers/Interfaces/Players are all independent of each other, and can be on 1 or many systems.

• LMS official Players (Touch, Radio, etc) Talk to LMS or in some cases work without LMS, interfacing directly with https://mysqueezebox.com
    • LMS - The main music server. This can run on any computer on your network. It is controlled by many different interfaces......the internal web server being the most common for the average user.
    • Material Skin extends the capability of LMS's internal web server, any web browser on the same network as the LMS server. Since it is extending the capabilities of LMS, it is added to LMS via the plugin interface.
    • Jivelite is a complete standalone interface, bit it does talk to the LMS server to be able to control it. The support for jivelite to talk to LMS is built into LMS, out of the box. Jivelite is a stripped down port of the Squeezeplay interface. https://github.com/ralph-irving/squeezeplay. Squeezeplay,jivelite can sit on any computer on your network, and talks to the LMS server to control any player on the network.
    • Squeezelite - The player software that can run on many different devices....talks to a local LMS server. And can be controlled from many different interfaces.

The above is by no means a complete list, there are too many ways to count of controlling LMS and its connected players.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer