Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

News about TuneIn

Interesting article (so I thought, anyway) about TuneIn's business model:

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...t-with-a-cost/
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

If they try to charge that for stations to remain in their systems then I expect a mass exodus.

Maybe the time has come to have LMS use radio.net or similar as a built-in alternative to TuneIn (I know that bpa made a plugin).
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

My SB usage is almost exclusively streaming stations and I never use TuneIn. So many other & better choices to choose from, I wouldn't miss it.

It also able to provide missing cover art and the name of the playing programme … but only for some stations.
    If this change happens for stations that are already in their database then I expect that set of stations to decline.

Radio.net could also provide Now Playing info but, strangely, although they accept submissions of live track info (in a format almost the same as TuneIn) and make it available on their web site .. they don’t make use of it in their own app.
    Last edited by Paul Webster; 2022-01-15 at 11:52.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

My guess is that the long-term plan is to make all listings paid, with some possible exceptions for non-profits. But that probably will not happen until they have built a substantial base of paid accounts. That's only a guess, though. I have no inside knowledge.
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.