Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

SB Radio as network speaker useable - stream music from android tablet / ipad to SB?

Hello,

I would like to know, whether it is possible to stream music from android client (tablet/ mobilephone) or apple client (iphone/ipad) to a squeezebox radio.

For instance in the spotify app you can choose on which device the music should be played - here I can choose the tablet/ipad itself or network speakers like google nest devices, that are integrated in my network.

However the squeezebox radios are not listed in the spotify app as possible devices. It would be great, if there is a chance to stream the music directly out of the official spotify app to the squeezebox radio (use the radio as network speaker). It's just that look and feel of the spotify app is pretty good. Another aspect is that I use spotify family and each child with its spotify account is quite familiar using the spotify app.

For background
    - Have 4 SB Touch and 4 SB Radios in use
    - On a mini-pc the LMS is working 24/7
    - Spotty-plugin is installed and does a great job (--> Already, I can use spotify by spotty. Everything is fine. I just would like to know whether there is a second "direct channel" using spotify

Thanks

SB Radio as network speaker useable -stream music from android tablet / ipad to SB?

> I would like to know, whether it is possible to stream music from
    > android client (tablet/ mobilephone) or apple client (iphone/ipad) to a
    > squeezebox radio.

That question is rather generic. There are various solutions which might
    get you there partially. Eg. there's the ShairPort plugin which IMHO
    would expose a SB to Airplay - so here's a yes.

Android would rather use Chromecast - but that's not available for SSB.

> For instance in the spotify app you can choose on which device the music
    > should be played - here I can choose the tablet/ipad itself or network
    > speakers like google nest devices, that are integrated in my network.

And this is yet another vendor specific protocol. And it can be enabled
    in Spotty's settings. Though it admittedly can be a bit fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    ... However the squeezebox radios are not listed in the spotify app as possible devices. ...
    Have you clicked on the radios as receiver for spotify connect (in Player settings)?

Name:  Screenshot at Jan 14 18-34-27.png
Views: 122
Size:  64.2 KB
    LMS 8.3 on Raspberry Pi 4B running openHABIAN | 1x Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W + moOde 7 UPnP as USB-Player + TEAC UD-501 USB-DAC + Phonitor Mini Headphone Amplifier + AKG K812 headphones | 4x Squeezbox Radio | 1x Raspbery Pi4 + Allo Boss 2 + Marantz PM 8000 + B&W Nautilus 805 | 1x Squeezelite on MacBook Pro Monterey

Hello,

thanks for your both replies.

@Michael:
    Which plugin do you mean that I should install to expose a SB to Airplay? I scanned the plugins that are listed in my LMS (8.2.0) that might something have to do with Airplay (when I looked for the name / plugin-description).

So I installed the plugins "AirPlay bridge" and "ShareTunes2 (fork)" in hope that one of both would be the right one. However with both plugins no SB is exposed to Airplay?!

@tfec
    Many thanks for the hint with the spotify connect. After making the respective adjustments with spotify connect as your picture shows the SB are shown in the spotify app as devices. So far so good.

However when I choose a SB in the spotify app to let the music play on the SB I noticed a strange phenomenon:

I have Spotify family. When I am with my "major" Spotify account logged in the spotify app I can easily stream the music out of spotify directly to the SB. Everything is fine (both with android tablet and ipad).

BUT no. 1: When the childs are logged in with their "minor" account they can see in the spotify app the SB devices, but if they click on play no tone comes out of the SB? (both with android tablet and ipad)
    BUT no. 2: If the childs choose in the spotify app a google nest device instead of a SB everything is working fine.

Thanks in advance

Christoph

SB Radio as network speaker useable -stream music from android tablet / ipad to SB?

> So I installed the plugins "AirPlay bridge" and "ShareTunes2 (fork)" in
    > hope that one of both would be the right one. However with both plugins
    > no SB is exposed to Airplay?!

ShareTunes IIRC. I've never set it up. You better ask in a specific thread.

AirPlay Bridge works the other way around: it makes AirPlay targets
    available in LMS.

So I installed the plugins "AirPlay bridge" and "ShareTunes2 (fork)" in hope that one of both would be the right one. However with both plugins no SB is exposed to Airplay?!

Christoph
    @CS2

Christoph

I cannot help with the major / minor account problems, sorry

This is an iPhone 6s (iOS15.2.1)

Name:  airplay.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  59.9 KB

The Radio is not selected as a Spotify-Connect device in the Spotty settings

Name:  shairport2.png
Views: 95
Size:  40.2 KB

ronnie

Hi,
    "ShareTunes2 (fork)" is the one I use at home and have no problems to stream from iPhone and iPad to LMS clients. Though I don't have a SB radio I guess it will work since my understanding is that magic happens in LMS server.

Spotify/Spotify Connect...

Not had anything to do with a family setup but on a quick read up, each account is still a separate premium one bought together under the family setup by your subscription and invites from your account.

So I would guess you need to add each of your family members accounts to your Spotty LMS Plugin settings, something that has either been done already on your Google Nest Spotify App/Skill or is handled automatically by that App/Skill.
    For Spotty LMS plugin I think it needs to be done manually - so go to Settings/Plugins/Spotty - Settings and in the first section is an Add Account Button, get your family members account details and add them in, probably worth trying just one member and seeing if that resolves your problem

Shairtunes...

You only need Shairtunes2 (fork) installed and it should just work from there, as Ronnie (Man in a van) post above shows... if you go into the plugin settings it will show the players that are available for Airplay in a lis at the bottom, make sure they are ticked and they should been seen as available devices on Airplay.
    If not then Philippe44 will probably need to see some log files to work out what's going on.

Kev

Thanks guys for your help.

Now it's working.

As I checked up the ShairTunes2 adjustments I was confronted with the message: "404 Not Found: plugins/Extensions/settings/plugins/ShairTunes2W/settings/basic.html"

Luckily this problem was posted recently in this forum with a solution by philppe_44 (thanks)

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...upport)/page88

After executing "cpan -T Crypt::OpenSSL::RSA" in my debian system the plugin ShairTunes2 works correctly and I could make the adjustments as you posted the screenshots.

To be able to stream music out of spotify directly to a SB it is not neccessary that to add the childs spotify family accounts in the spotty plugin.

In the final spurt I was a little bit misleaded by the different spotify's behaviour between android and apple.

When I used spotify with an android device I saw in the device list all SB / google nest / marantz receiver ... I choosed one of them and the spotify stream started playing at the choosen device.

With this "experience" I thougt that the behaviour on an apple device is exactly the same. That was my mistake. Cause choosing a google nest or the marantz receiver in the (direct) spotify device list streaming was working fine I thought choosing a SB would be the same. But choosing a SB wasn't the same - no music came out of the SB. I forgot - concerning the SB devices - you have to pay attention that in the spotify device list you first need to choose "Airplay" and secondly choose the respective SB device out of the airplay device list. ...A small leak will sink a great ship.

But finally everything is fine.

Thanks a lot