Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Empty genres

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toronto area, Canada
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    You could turn on detailed logging for the scanner and do another clear & rescan

    Also , are the genre exotic?
    Exotic? Nah, just things like "folk/rock"; where this one occurred I redid the genres in MP3tag as "folk\\rock", setting up two genres. No instances of "folk/rock" remain according to MP3tag, and I've searched and searched to find any, but the category still remained after the virgin scan, as well as after delete-and-rescan operations. There are several of these kinds of things, as well as some other oddities that presumably came with the files years ago.

    R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toronto area, Canada
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Well I'm pretty certain that LMS doesn't make this stuff up just for kicks, so these genres must be in the tags, or symlinks to files elsewhere, or playlists with redundant tracks.

    I'll ask the same question as @SlimChances asked, have you looked at "Extended Tags" in mp3tag?

    Attachment 36827
    I'm not sure what to do with the Extended Tags thing. I can look at these, which reads tags attached to files/tracks, but what am I looking for exactly? I can hardly look at every one of the 46k files. And I don't know which files to look at because the genre category comes up as empty.

    R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    335
    I wonder if there is a hidden file creating the problem. Create a new folder that is empty and point LMS to just that folder for music. Clear and rescan. Does the mystery genre appear?

    Point LMS to just one album folder, clear and rescan. Does one genre appear for that album?

    That might help figure out what is going on. You might have to keep adding folders in blocks to locate which folder contains the source of the problem.

    Wishing you best of luck!
    Last edited by P Nelson; 2022-01-15 at 09:26.

  4. #24
    Senior Member kidstypike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brindle
    Posts
    5,192
    Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    I'm not sure what to do with the Extended Tags thing. I can look at these, which reads tags attached to files/tracks, but what am I looking for exactly? I can hardly look at every one of the 46k files. And I don't know which files to look at because the genre category comes up as empty.

    R.
    Load the whole library in mp3tag, sort on genre header, scroll down to folk/rock or whatever. Also look at the tag type column for tags other than v3.2.
    LMS server/study player - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.1.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > Topping E30 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Echo Show 8
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier

    Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, 1xDAC32, 1xCORE32

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toronto area, Canada
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Load the whole library in mp3tag, sort on genre header, scroll down to folk/rock or whatever. Also look at the tag type column for tags other than v3.2.
    I had done that. The ghost tags don't show up. Not surprising since tags are attached to files/tracks, and LMS is reporting no files with the tag (same library).

    It seems to me that the question is where the tag label is coming from if it is not attached to a file/track.

    I'm close to giving up, it's really just a minor annoyance.

    R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK/London
    Posts
    5,494
    Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    I had done that. The ghost tags don't show up. Not surprising since tags are attached to files/tracks, and LMS is reporting no files with the tag (same library).
    That is new and useful information since it does show that it is really coming from a file that is being scanned and not being left over in some mysterious database/file.

    Does scanner.log show anything?
    Did you increase the logging level?
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toronto area, Canada
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    That is new and useful information since it does show that it is really coming from a file that is being scanned and not being left over in some mysterious database/file.

    Does scanner.log show anything?
    Did you increase the logging level?
    I'm not sure why it shows it is really coming from a file that is being scanned -- none of the music files appear to have the ghost tags - the LMS result is that the genre category is created but no files actually have the tag.
    LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK/London
    Posts
    5,494
    You said that the ghost tag(s) was not there when you set LMS to scan an empty system.
    Did you try scanning a system with just one album?

    I don't think that the word "Folk" appears in LMS source code except for in an totally unrelated comment
    https://github.com/Logitech/slimserv...ittest.js#L508

    While it is possible that the Github search missed something or it is in a binary ... I suspect not.

    So it does appear to be coming from a file that the scanner is scanning.

    Perhaps it extracts a tag from a mysterious file and then a bit later decides that the file is not valid for including ... but by then has already remembered the tag.
    Who knows.

    Detailed logging in the scanner might show something.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toronto area, Canada
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    You said that the ghost tag(s) was not there when you set LMS to scan an empty system.
    Did you try scanning a system with just one album?

    I don't think that the word "Folk" appears in LMS source code except for in an totally unrelated comment
    https://github.com/Logitech/slimserv...ittest.js#L508

    While it is possible that the Github search missed something or it is in a binary ... I suspect not.

    So it does appear to be coming from a file that the scanner is scanning.

    Perhaps it extracts a tag from a mysterious file and then a bit later decides that the file is not valid for including ... but by then has already remembered the tag.
    Who knows.

    Detailed logging in the scanner might show something.
    Sorry, I meant that the ghost genres aren't in the full list in MP3tag when sorted by genre. So there are no tags attached to files.
    LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    8,923
    Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Sorry, I meant that the ghost genres aren't in the full list in MP3tag when sorted by genre. So there are no tags attached to files.
    This is a complete guess but do you have any cue files?

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •