Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can Napster be Used with Squeezelite Player on Raspberry Pi?

Is it possible to use my Napster account on a Raspberry Pi running piCore - both Squeezelite and LMS (so-called option 3)? I have that configuration running, and can play my own files and radio stations, and such just fine. I have installed the Napster plugin. I have created an account at mysqueezebox.com. I installed Squeezer on my Andoroid phone to control the PiPlayer on the Rasberry Pi; and that is working fine. In fact, in Squeezer is shows me that I do have the Napster plugin installed. But when I try to use it I get a notice that it only works with a "Squeezebox 2." So perhaps this is a licensing issue with Napster not permitting use of it's API outside of specific licensing agreements? But if there is something I'm missing I would surely like to get Napster to work as this is really the reason I am wanting to use piCore (intention is to feed a dedicated DAC, which will then go into some McIntosh equipment I have inherited).

I did do a search and there is a thread concerning Napster, but it doesn't seem to address my issue - Existing Thread: LMS 8.1.1 and Max2Play / Napster-Problem (originated on 2021-01-08)

Any help appreciated!

My understanding is that free accounts with commercial services through mysqueezebox.com are only available for Squeezebox hardware, like the Squeezebox Touch, Radio, Classic, Boom, Transporter, etc. My knowledge is limited, so I hope someone who knows more can expand on this.
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    My understanding is that free accounts with commercial services through mysqueezebox.com are only available for Squeezebox hardware...
    That's what I was afraid of. In a way I suppose I can understand that, in terms of DRM and licensing. And yet, it shouldn't be so here in the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by Jroc View Post
    That's what I was afraid of. In a way I suppose I can understand that, in terms of DRM and licensing. And yet, it shouldn't be so here in the 21st century.
    Those free services are based on agreements between Logitech* and the service providers. Those agreements were made at a time when there were probably no virtual players, so any use of the Squeezebox system required Squeezebox hardware. From Logitech's side, the reason for providing those free services was to encourage sales of players. From the providers' side, the reason would have been to expand their user base, increase awareness of their services, and perhaps in some cases, encourage users of the free service to upgrade to a higher, paid tier of service.

Neither party had any reason to anticipate that virtual players would someday outnumber branded Squeezebox players. Nor would they have had any reason to provide those free services to users of virtual players.

You are correct, though. The agreements are outdated. I believe some such agreements have already lapsed, and others are likely to be abandoned in the future. There will probably come a time** when none of those free services are available for Squeezebox hardware or for virtual players. That's the most likely scenario, as we get deeper into the 21st century.

*It's possible that some or all of those agreements predate Logitech's acquisition of Slim Devices. Before my time, so I wouldn't know.

**Most likely when mysqueezebox.com shuts down, as it surely must, some day.
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Those free services are based on agreements between Logitech* and the service providers...There will probably come a time** when none of those free services are available for Squeezebox hardware or for virtual players....
    Thanks for the info Robb. FWIW, I also put the questiion to Napster support and below is their reply:

From Napster on Jan 11, 2022

Dear Customer, I understand you would like to know whether LMS compatible is with Napster. Unfortunately, the device is no longer supported. I sincerely apologies for the inconvenience caused. However, as a workaround, contact Logitech Squeezebox support to install the Logitech Media Server(LMS) and then install the 3rd party Napster plugin and configure it. This is just a workaround, so it may or may not work.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this situation. We have taken your request as feedback and sent it to the development team for consideration. Your insights and opinions will help us in our ongoing efforts to enhance our products and services. Also, we are constantly working to provide the best possible functions for our customers and we hope that we may add more compatible devices in the future. Please keep checking the app for an update. Napster plans to focus more on integrations with other great features and integrations that will be added in the upcoming releases.

Jroc, my comments have been very general, about the way free accounts have worked with mysqueezebox.com and LMS in the past. Where Napster is concerned, I can't help much, because I have never used Napster in any form.

This is the most recent thread I can find that seems to be informative: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...hlight=Napster

Jroc, my comments have been very general, about the way free accounts have worked...
    Understood; tho your comments do seem to align with reality. Including the link-reference you pointed me at. (fwiw, I am a decades long paid subscriber to Napster. I'd switch services if any of them were actively supporting this platform; and they had the full library of Napster & Spodify. And it's a sham they are not supporting it as it works a charm in all other respects.)

Let me ask this: Napster does have a fully functional web-browser interface which I use quite a bit when I'm upstairs on my PC. Can I run a web browser on the OS that piCore is running on in the Rasberry Pi? This could, perhaps, be a reasonable work around for my situation as I can connect my Pi to my TV for the display. This way I'd be able to use the PiCorePlayer for all the radio stations and local music, and jump over to the browser when I wish to stream my Napster stuff.

I am very experienced with Linux in general as I've been using it as my only PC OS for a decade now. So I can use the command line, configure stuff and all that jazz. Writing code to accomplish this would be a challenge; but I can write bash scripts if need be.

....Let me ask this: Napster does have a fully functional web-browser interface which I use quite a bit when I'm upstairs on my PC. Can I run a web browser on the OS that piCore is running on in the Rasberry Pi? This could, perhaps, be a reasonable work around for my situation as I can connect my Pi to my TV for the display. This way I'd be able to use the PiCorePlayer for all the radio stations and local music, and jump over to the browser when I wish to stream my Napster stuff.

I am very experienced with Linux in general as I've been using it as my only PC OS for a decade now. So I can use the command line, configure stuff and all that jazz. Writing code to accomplish this would be a challenge; but I can write bash scripts if need be.
    There was a recent discussion of running a web browser in piCorePlayer for other reasons, but it might provide some helpful information. That part of the thread begins here.

I think what you want to do would be much easier if you were using the Raspberry Pi OS (formerly Raspbian). That's not meant to disparage pCP in any way. I appreciate the work that has gone into it and use it in a player-only installation. But it's meant to do a few things very well. Expanding its repertoire is a challenge. As an experienced Linux user you should be right at home in RPOS and able to make use of its flexibility. On the other hand, if the challenge of making it work in pCP appeals to you, have at it!

It might be worthwhile to post in the LMS forum, too, just to ask if there have been any further developments with Napster since that post from more than three years ago. I don't think it's likely, but it makes sense to be sure.

I think what you want to do would be much easier if you were using the Raspberry Pi OS (formerly Raspbian).
    Yes. That or maybe I bite the bullet and abandon Napster, go with Spotify and try Kodi. This weekend I explored that a bit and have found that there is a gentleman who is maintaining a Spotify plugin over in the Kodi world. I suppose that given how much more popular Spotify is it's much more likely that platfrom will see more sustained support over time. Anyway, it's a puzzle-journey!

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts Robb.

Yes. That or maybe I bite the bullet and abandon Napster, go with Spotify and try Kodi. This weekend I explored that a bit and have found that there is a gentleman who is maintaining a Spotify plugin over in the Kodi world. I suppose that given how much more popular Spotify is it's much more likely that platfrom will see more sustained support over time. Anyway, it's a puzzle-journey!

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts Robb.
    There is a Spotify plugin on LMS called Spotty which works very well with piCorePlayer. Itĺs now very mature
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes