Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    pozar@lns.com

Can I use a chromebook to run my LMS ?

I have built them and have a blog entry describing the parts lists I
    used at:

https://blog.lns.com/?p=151

PiCorePlayer has some instructions at:
    https://docs.picoreplayer.org/getting-started/

Tim

On 1/11/22 2:05 PM, Labarum wrote:
    >
    > Does anyone sell a Raspberry Pi with PiCorePlayer preinstalled and ready
    > to run?
    >
    >
    >
    > Brian
    >
    > In UK: Chromecast Audio Dongle and Chromecast Video Dongle attached to
    > TV - Beresford DAC - Quad 77 Integrated Amp - AVI Neutron 4 Speakers -
    > Sennheiser HD25 Headphones. Boom in Bedroom.
    >
    > In Nicosia: Delete Quad 77 and Neutron 4 and insert Quad 405-2 and MB
    > Quart 980s
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Labarum's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=19963
    > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=115736
    >
    >

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Hi Labarum, I think we met previously on the "AVI" forum?
    Greetings! Well isn't that another world. You will see I am still using AVI Neutron 4s - passive! Ashley made nice boxes, but O my, could he hype them!

I have a very little used Raspberry Pi4 4GB, in a Kodi edition Flirc case doing nothing at the moment. It has the latest v8.1 piCorePlayer installed. I could easily install LMS and make it ready for you to just configure your music library etc., no Linux skills needed!
    Nice looking box. I guess I only need 2GB at most, but availability is a current problem. My old PC is turning into a real pain! If piCoreplayer is installed surely that replaces the official LMS?

Let me know if you're interested
    PM sent.
    Last edited by Labarum; 2022-01-12 at 01:33.
    Brian

In UK: rPi4 running LMS, Chromecast Audio Dongle and Chromecast Video Dongle attached to TV - Beresford DAC - Quad 77 Integrated Amp - AVI Neutron 4 Speakers - Sennheiser HD25 Headphones. Boom in Bedroom.

In Nicosia: LMS running on a small form factor Windows PC, Beresford DAC into Quad 405-2 and MB Quart 980s

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    If piCoreplayer is installed surely that replaces the official LMS?
    Is the LMS provided with PiCore player the offical Linux version as posted on Logitech's website?

However, given the close coordination between the PiCore team and Michael at Logitech the LMS provided with PiCore is likely close as possible to an offical version.

Quote Originally Posted by P Nelson View Post
    Is the LMS provided with PiCore player the offical Linux version as posted on Logitech's website?

However, given the close coordination between the PiCore team and Michael at Logitech the LMS provided with PiCore is likely close as possible to an offical version.
    Looking at the script used to upgrade LMS on piCorePlayer (linked from this page: https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/upgrade_lms/), it appears to download from downloads.slimdevices.com/releases, so it should be exactly the same version of LMS you would install manually on any version of Linux running on a Raspberry Pi.
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    Looking at the script used to upgrade LMS on piCorePlayer (linked from this page: https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/upgrade_lms/), it appears to download from downloads.slimdevices.com/releases, so it should be exactly the same version of LMS you would install manually on any version of Linux running on a Raspberry Pi.
    Yes, of course, pCP installs just a regular unmodified version of LMS 8, choice of 3 flavours.

Name:  updateLMS.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  33.3 KB
    LMS server/study player - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.1.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > Topping E30 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Echo Show 8
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, 1xDAC32, 1xCORE32

I did indeed buy the rPi offered me by kidstypike and I offer public thanks to the vendor for his gentlemanly generosity. Community forums like this realy do bring out the best in people.

I have seen lots of pictures, but nothing prepares you for the size of the of the Raspberry Pi. The vendor had done most of the software installation and configuration for me, so all I had to do was plug in the USB hard drive and mount it. The rest of the configuration options in LMS I know well. Half an hour and I was off. Some headscrating moments as it was all done on my Chromebook - web access to the old and the new LMS on separate browser tabs and remote-desktop to the PC on a third.

But I was up and running in 30 minutes after finding and scanning the music library on the USB Drive. Just worked out why I can't see my Boom - it's looking for LMS at the IP address of the PC and not the IP Address of the Pi!

I've turned the PC off to stop confusing myself!

So here is a picture one one tiny box next to a USB drive, my router and the VOIP phone base I have used for many years. While abroad and in UK.

Name:  IMG_20220115_142846548.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  241.6 KB

Now I had better get back in my box and on with my new box at let this thread stay on topic.
    Brian

In UK: rPi4 running LMS, Chromecast Audio Dongle and Chromecast Video Dongle attached to TV - Beresford DAC - Quad 77 Integrated Amp - AVI Neutron 4 Speakers - Sennheiser HD25 Headphones. Boom in Bedroom.

In Nicosia: LMS running on a small form factor Windows PC, Beresford DAC into Quad 405-2 and MB Quart 980s

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    Community forums like this realy do bring out the best in people.
    I love it when a plan comes together. Be very thankful; you probably got your hands on the only RPi 4 currently available anywhere!

As someone who's been running LMS for fifteen years on a tower PC in a closet, it still amazes me that all you need is that little box.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    I love it when a plan comes together. Be very thankful; you probably got your hands on the only RPi 4 currently available anywhere!

As someone who's been running LMS for fifteen years on a tower PC in a closet, it still amazes me that all you need is that little box.
    This is because my wife has told me to de-clutter! What's wrong with a chap having a few gadgets about the place?

I don't have anymore Pi4's, I've got a few Pi3's needing a new home.

How about this one -

Pi 3B/1GB
    Built in Wifi & Bluetooth.
    AlloBoss v1.2 DAC HAT (RCA out)
    Black acrylic case.
    SD card with piCorePlayer installed
    RPi power supply.

Sold to a forum member.

Name:  AlloBoss.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  41.8 KB
    Last edited by kidstypike; 2022-02-07 at 09:54.
    LMS server/study player - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.1.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > Topping E30 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Echo Show 8
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, 1xDAC32, 1xCORE32

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    I don't have anymore Pi4's, I've got a few Pi3's needing a new home.

How about this one -

Pi 3B/1GB
    Built in Wifi & Bluetooth.
    AlloBoss v1.2 DAC HAT (RCA out)
    Black acrylic case.
    SD card with piCorePlayer installed
    RPi power supply.

Anyone interested? (ú55.00 inc. p&p, UK only).

Name:  AlloBoss.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  41.8 KB
    Come on guys, you can buy off this vendor with confidence!
    Brian

See, it's magic.

Name:  MyPlayers.png
Views: 104
Size:  158.8 KB

I too have been running LMS on a tower PC in a cupboard for 15 years and am amazed at what a tiny Pi can do.

The Windows giant was doing other things as well, but is not now.
    Brian