Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    I've seen the same. After a night of charging I found the indicated voltage was 4.14V this morning. I had inadvertently left it on overnight (off in LMS), so switched it off for a few minutes then back on, and the voltage went up to 4.20V. I guess it had dropped to 4.14 because the BMS had stopped charging it.

I've started a rundown test, with music playing. I guess that'll take till late afternoon/early evening to complete. Since I'm using the LMS Information tab to check the voltage, a standby test will be trickier to monitor - I'd have to turn it on periodically to check the voltage, and I guess the sudden load will affect the voltage reading. I left the grille off so it's easier to take apart - maybe I'll do a standby test with a voltmeter instead. It'll also be harder to do because I'll have to avoid playing music through it for a few days, and I've rather got used to having it playing next to me on my desk while I'm working at my laptop! I prefer it to an SBR because the sound is tuneable via the graphic equaliser.
    Can you measure the current drawn from the battery on standby?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Where did you buy the battery pack? Or did you assemble it yourself?
    I made it, using one of these protection boards.

Can you measure the current drawn from the battery on standby?
    Yes, I think that should be possible. I'll look into that after the rundown test.

Did you replace the BMS circuit as well as the battery? That protection board seems to control the charging process.

Did you replace the BMS circuit as well as the battery? That protection board seems to control the charging process.
    No, I didn't touch anything on the PCB other than the wire connection points. My understanding is that the separate protection board is just an extra layer of protection against overcharging, excessive discharge, overcurrent etc, on top of anything that the Luxe PCB provides. I guess I may have added some extra quiescent current - the Amazon listing doesn't show what it is for that protection board.

No, I didn't touch anything on the PCB other than the wire connection points. My understanding is that the separate protection board is just an extra layer of protection against overcharging, excessive discharge, overcurrent etc, on top of anything that the Luxe PCB provides. I guess I may have added some extra quiescent current - the Amazon listing doesn't show what it is for that protection board.
    Oh I thought that was the board that controls the charging process. The one that the manufacturer says is taking 14mA. Is that a separate board or is everything on the same PCB? I know nothing about Lithium battery charging
    If it is all on the same PCB maybe keeping the battery charging circuit separate would have been a better idea.

Last edited by slartibartfast; 2022-02-04 at 01:54.

Oh I thought that was the board that controls the charging process. The one that the manufacturer says is taking 14mA. Is that a separate board or is everything on the same PCB? I know nothing about Lithium battery charging
    If it is all on the same PCB maybe keeping the battery charging circuit separate would have been a better idea.
    Well I'm a bit out of my depth too, but I believe the Luxe PCB has a charging circuit built in - the Proto certainly does (see this post). And it's possible that the battery also has a built in circuit - the 18650 I removed is quite large for only a 1200mAh capacity, so maybe some of the size is taken up by a protection circuit.

Well I'm a bit out of my depth too, but I believe the Luxe PCB has a charging circuit built in - the Proto certainly does (see this post). And it's possible that the battery also has a built in circuit - the 18650 I removed is quite large for only a 1200mAh capacity, so maybe some of the size is taken up by a protection circuit.
    Yup I am confused about what the extra protection in the battery is.

Yup I am confused about what the extra protection in the battery is.
    Well Lithium batteries can be dangerous when short-circuited, overcharged etc, so a battery pack will usually have a PCB included to protect against those and other conditions. The circuit on the Luxe PCB probably has a range of protections too (as well as providing the correct voltage at sufficient current), but if the wires chafed for instance, thereby shorting the terminals, the Luxe PCB could do nothing to protect the battery.

Well Lithium batteries can be dangerous when short-circuited, overcharged etc, so a battery pack will usually have a PCB included to protect against those and other conditions. The circuit on the Luxe PCB probably has a range of protections too (as well as providing the correct voltage at sufficient current), but if the wires chafed for instance, thereby shorting the terminals, the Luxe PCB could do nothing to protect the battery.
    I could be wrong but it seems that the protection circuit limits the maximum voltage and current much the same as the charging circuit does. Does the maximum voltage setting for the protection circuit need to be slightly higher than the charger maximum voltage so the charger is in control? If the charger fails for some reason the protection circuit would then protect the battery. Is it "belt and braces"?