Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

PiCorePlayer on Rasp Pi 4b 8GB with 5" capacitive touch display: Problem showing GUI

Hi,

all there. I am a silent member on this group for 6 years. Now I have to break the silence.

My project is to replace my unreliable Logitech Squeezeboxes classic, as their problems continues to grow and I do not want a pemanent solder iron workshop on the electrolytic caps here (and I was not very successful) to repair an eventuallsy broken circuit design here. It is actually better to use them to iron ;-). joke.

So I ordered at amazon a 5" capacitive touch display MIPI DSI interface. It should work out of the box, and it worked on a DietPi OS as well as on PiCorePlayer 8.1.1 (64Bit). LMS is on a different PI 4b (4GB RAM) on DietPi OS. Sound is quite good, but I want to add a GUI to my headless version.

I followed instructions to install Jivelite. I tried different images for Jivelite and configured it (both on the web gui). If I shrink resolution for example you will the see the fonts getting broader. But I do not have any GUI here, which is to be reported as working out of the box by several sources.
    This is how it looks like after booting: It starts with a coloured squared screen, showing the spectrum, and ends up with the boot messages. It "forgets" to switch to the GUI application (which I assume is Jivelite mit a certain skin)
    Name:  20220104_124401smaller.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  259.2 KBName:  20220104_124723.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  248.2 KB

I have myself added xorg tcz, but that did not solve the problem. It must be a really small issue, cause it seems, graphic is working fine but for some reasons it is not switching to the GUI screen, either because there is no underlying graphic system (fully?) installed, or because some config steps are missing?

The same result with my external 1600x1200 DVI display monitor.

Please, does anybody have an idea, what might go wrong here? I am not an expert at Tiny Core Linux...

BR Peter

Framebuffer in jivelite was wrongly configured to /dev/fb1

Code:
    $ ll /dev/fb*
    gave me

Name:  2022-01-04 15_13_36-Window.png
Views: 272
Size:  3.0 KB

So doing

Code:
    $ m2
    $ c2
    $ vi jivelite.sh
    and simply changing /dev/fb1 to /dev/fb0 solved the issue and it displays something.
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

EVENTNO=$(cat /proc/bus/input/devices | awk '/ADS7846 Touchscreen/{for(a=0;a>=0;
    #EVENTNO=$(cat /proc/bus/input/devices | awk '/raspberrypi-ts Touchscreen/{for(a

export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1
    export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=fbcon
    export SDL_FBDEV=/dev/fb0
    export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/$EVENTNO
    export SDL_MOUSEDRV=TSLIB

while true; do
        /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
        sleep 3
    done
    The splash screen of PiCorePlayer comes up correctly for half a second, than it switches to this:
    Name:  20220104_150454.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  239.6 KB

It looks like like some options are not correctly set. Any Guesses?

Please! I am not good at this!

Quote Originally Posted by peddanet View Post
    So I ordered at amazon a 5" capacitive touch display MIPI DSI interface. It should work out of the box, and it worked on a DietPi OS as well as on PiCorePlayer 8.1.1 (64Bit).
    What is working? The display is working with DietPi and PiCorePlayer?

I followed instructions to install Jivelite. I tried different images for Jivelite and configured it (both on the web gui). If I shrink resolution for example you will the see the fonts getting broader. But I do not have any GUI here, which is to be reported as working out of the box by several sources.
    This is how it looks like after booting: It starts with a coloured squared screen, showing the spectrum, and ends up with the boot messages. It "forgets" to switch to the GUI application (which I assume is Jivelite mit a certain skin)
    Do you use pCP or DietPi for the player?
    If you use DietPI, why don't you use a web browser with Material Skin instead of Jivelite?
    If you use pCP then you can install Jivelite easily via the Web-GUI of pCP.

Is that really the complete line in your script 'jivelite.sh'?
    Code:
    EVENTNO=$(cat /proc/bus/input/devices | awk '/ADS7846 Touchscreen/{for(a=0;a>=0;
    That cannot work because the closing bracket ')' and more is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by jd68 View Post
    What is working? The display is working with DietPi and PiCorePlayer?

Do you use pCP or DietPi for the player?
    If you use DietPI, why don't you use a web browser with Material Skin instead of Jivelite?
    If you use pCP then you can install Jivelite easily via the Web-GUI of pCP.

Is that really the complete line in your script 'jivelite.sh'?
    Code:
    That cannot work because the closing bracket ')' and more is missing.
    Thanks!

1. I tried it with DietPi and PiCorePlayer. The display and the framebuffer works, as it displays all colored characters of the boot message. This result was also the same on my external hdmi (connected via DVI) when it was not connected to the 5"inch touch display
    2. I have bought the touch display to have a stand alone solution for my bathroom
    3. I use PiCorePlayer now
      • The starting colored splash screen comes up
      • boot messages comes up
      • The PiCorePlayer logo comes up in nice shape
      • After that the framebuffer reconfigures to settings and it looks like above
      • Name:  Screenshot_20220104-191051_Gallery.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  112.1 KBName:  Screenshot_20220104-191137_Gallery.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  122.0 KBName:  Screenshot_20220104-191404_Gallery.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  97.3 KBName:  Screenshot_20220104-191438_Gallery.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  82.2 KB
    4. The script above of jivelite.sh was lazily copied from console window. It has the closing brackets

The question left now is, why is framebuffer configured correctly until "PiCorePlayer" Logo Startup screen and then turns crappy (like in the above photo), where I guess something is messed up with the control of the framebuffer (wrong lines, overscan, whatever...). What causes the system to finally screw up? What happens last after PiCorePlayer startup screen?

Br
    Last edited by peddanet; 2022-01-04 at 11:32.

Solved! PiCorePlayer with 5" inch capactive touch works out brilliantly!

Thanks to @PiPlayer and @ralphy! Thank God for the brilliant work of PiCorePlayer!

Their tips pointed me the way out of the jungle.

Their tip put me on the right track, I have installed so many skins without knowing what they are. They could not be uninstalled, although it was partially confirmed to me. The list became shorter and shorter, and I didn't see the Joggler anymore. Although I tried to uninstall everything (first the Jive, then the skins, in between countless times a reboot). Now it runs with Logitech Black skin! I am happy!

BTW: How can I preserve the settings? So that I do not have to choose skin and language each time??

Now it looks like this:
    Name:  20220104_210417small.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  241.7 KBName:  20220104_210435small.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  249.8 KBName:  20220104_203416smaller.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  256.3 KB

Now I can rock again, let the piano play! Thanks to those who helped me helping myself!

Greetings Peter
    Last edited by peddanet; 2022-01-04 at 14:29.

Quote Originally Posted by peddanet View Post
    BTW: How can I preserve the settings? So that I do not have to choose skin and language each time??
    See "piCorePlayer backup".

Backup

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    Greg!
    Great! Thanks man!