Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think I particularly need to know what to put as share name and share type. At the moment I keep getting ďDisk Mount ErrorĒ

Quote Originally Posted by Dhammavijaya View Post
    OK. I got this thing going. Testing it with just a USB memory stick attached.

All great , so I bought a Kingston SSD drive and adapter to load up my music collection. Now the trouble starts.

I either need to mount it to the Rpi, which seems to require a lot of jiggery pokery and possibly a full install of a Pi OS in addition to the PicorePlayer? (Did I understand that correctly?

Alternatively, and I hope more easily, will be to attach the SSD to my Routerís USB slot and enter the details in picoreplayer as a ĎNetwork Disk Mountí.

Could someone kindly provide a step by step guide to what details to enter in the
    Setup Network Disk Mount section of the PiCorePlayer please?
    No jiggery pokery needed.

Is this a sata SSD? if so just format it as NTFS in Windows, and connect it to your pi as you would a USB stick.

I have 2 sata SSD drives connected to my Pi/piCorePlayer, no problem at all.

Name:  satadrives.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  66.8 KB
    LMS server/study player - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.1.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > Topping E30 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Echo Show 8
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, 1xDAC32, 1xCORE32

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post

Is this a sata SSD? if so just format it as NTFS in Windows, and connect it to your pi as you would a USB stick.

You make it look so easy!

Yes. It’s SATA

I am a MAC user. Can I format it as NTFS on a MAC?

Excuse my ignorance. I’m not very tech savvy
    Last edited by Dhammavijaya; 2022-02-09 at 17:37.

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post

Excellent! Have reformatting to NTFS and all is now recognised. Itís simple when you know how,

Many thanks!

Excellent! Have reformatting to NTFS and all is now recognised. Itís simple when you know how,

Many thanks!
    Couple of items for next steps.

1. When everything is working used the backup feature in Picore to backup the SD card, look for "SD Card Image". That way if the SD card becomes corrupted, you can restore the set-up.

2. if you have not already done so, set up Samba so you can communicate with the Pi via your Mac. This will allow you to copy new music files onto the hard drive attached to the pi.

Since setting up this system things are basically fine, but Iím having a frustrating problem.

I rip the new Tears for Fears CD on my MAC , physically connect the external SSD to it, and transfer the ripped files to it.

Then I reconnect the SSD to the Pi, go into LMS via PiCorePlayer and rescan. The newly transferred CD is not being found by the rescan though. I know itís there on the SSD because it shows up when reconnecting to the MAC. LMS just doesnít seem to find it.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Since setting up this system things are basically fine, but Iím having a frustrating problem.

I rip the new Tears for Fears CD on my MAC , physically connect the external SSD to it, and transfer the ripped files to it.

Then I reconnect the SSD to the Pi, go into LMS via PiCorePlayer and rescan. The newly transferred CD is not being found by the rescan though. I know itís there on the SSD because it shows up when reconnecting to the MAC. LMS just doesnít seem to find it.

Are you sure you put the ripped files in the location specified in LMS settings?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Listened to that TFF yesterday, first listen sounds quite good!

Assuming you do a "look for new" and not a "wipe and rescan", and are looking in LMS, are you looking for the first entry in album artist-> new music? or album artist->tears for fears? What could happen is when you rip, the meta data for the CD is not read/found by the ripping software, and the files are created as unknown artist or unknown album. Look under album artist->unknown. With TFF it isn't a problem, but "the" can be involved - "Flaming Lips" and "The Flaming Lips" but LMS is usually setup to ignore "the" (settings->my music-> articles to ignore...)

Are you using a tagging software after your rip, and before LMS? This can be used to fix your tags. I use media monkey (not sure I would recommend it) but allot of people here use foobar2000 and mp3tag.

Finally, out of desperation, remove the CD from the HDD, rescan, and note the total number of tracks via LMS (settings_>information-Library statistics), add the CD, rescan, then check the number of tracks again. If it increases...its in there somewhere

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    Listened to that TFF yesterday, first listen sounds quite good!

Assuming you do a "look for new" and not a "wipe and rescan", and are looking in LMS, are you looking for the first entry in album artist-> new music? or album artist->tears for fears? What could happen is when you rip, the meta data for the CD is not read/found by the ripping software, and the files are created as unknown artist or unknown album. Look under album artist->unknown. With TFF it isn't a problem, but "the" can be involved - "Flaming Lips" and "The Flaming Lips" but LMS is usually setup to ignore "the" (settings->my music-> articles to ignore...)

Are you using a tagging software after your rip, and before LMS? This can be used to fix your tags. I use media monkey (not sure I would recommend it) but allot of people here use foobar2000 and mp3tag.

Finally, out of desperation, remove the CD from the HDD, rescan, and note the total number of tracks via LMS (settings_>information-Library statistics), add the CD, rescan, then check the number of tracks again. If it increases...its in there somewhere

Jim
    Thanks Jim

Tagging software helped a lot!

A lot more convenient to use Samba; rip on Mac then copy files to RPi SSD over your network. See Steps 3 & 4:
    https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_usb_hdd/