Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Straightforward Hard Drive to revive Touch

Hi

I'd like to revive my Touch and use it connected physically to a USB HDD.

I need maybe 1TB of data.

Is there a recommended modern one that works well with both the Touch and a MAC?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhammavijaya View Post
    Hi

Is there a recommended modern one that works well with both the Touch and a MAC?
    From your previous posts you have tried this before. I am guessing it didn't work very well. Nothing has changed in that respect. Why not use a Raspberry Pi as a server?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    From your previous posts you have tried this before. I am guessing it didn't work very well. Nothing has changed in that respect. Why not use a Raspberry Pi as a server?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Thanks. It did actually work well for years, but now the drive is not being recognised.

I don’t know anything about raspberry Pis but I am interested.

My requirements would be just the basic needed to run a music system. It would need optical output, ideally a touch screen and some kind of remote, the capacity to take 2 micro SDs would be great, as would minimal fan noise.

If someone could point me directly to what I need that would be great.

Thanks. It did actually work well for years, but now the drive is not being recognised.

I don’t know anything about raspberry Pis but I am interested.

My requirements would be just the basic needed to run a music system. It would need optical output, ideally a touch screen and some kind of remote, the capacity to take 2 micro SDs would be great, as would minimal fan noise.

If someone could point me directly to what I need that would be great.
    Touch is over 10 years old, it was slow and had limited memory when it came out and disk size were much smaller.
    I think a 1Tb disk maybe too big for it and possibly not right format - IIRC Touch only supports FAT16, FAT32, ext2, ext3 and maybe an old version of NTFS.

Set up the Raspberry Pi as a server running piCorePlayer and LMS and wired to your router. Attach the hard drive via USB to the RPi or to your router if it has USB input. Use the Touch for control and for optical output.

https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    Set up the Raspberry Pi as a server running piCorePlayer and LMS and wired to your router. Attach the hard drive via USB to the RPi or to your router if it has USB input. Use the Touch for control and for optical output.

Many thanks

Hi

For many years I connected an externally powered usb hard drive to the touch and ran its tiny LMS. It was clunky and tiny LMS would occasionally crash, but it worked. I used it because I did not have to run my windows computer to run LMS. Then the hard drive failed.

I switched to a raspberry pi running picoreplayer and LMS with a connected hard drive. I should have made the switch earlier! Much easier to use. Another reason is there will be no updates to tiny LMS, but LMS for the pi will be updated.

It is not worth the trouble to deal with Tiny LMS. Get a pi or check out polyvection core32 for a plug and play solution.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...S-Music-Server

If you really want to rebuild what you had before, use an externally powered usb drive. The touch power supply is inadequate to power many usb drives.
    Last edited by P Nelson; 2022-01-03 at 07:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post

Is there anything I need to know to enable this set up to to use the Touch’s optical output to a Chord Mojo? Do I have to select special settings for this in piCorePlayer?

Is there anything I need to know to enable this set up to to use the Touch’s optical output to a Chord Mojo? Do I have to select special settings for this in piCorePlayer?
    No special settings. Just tell the Touch to connect to the LMS on piCorePlayer
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    No special settings. Just tell the Touch to connect to the LMS on piCorePlayer
    OK. I got this thing going. Testing it with just a USB memory stick attached.

All great , so I bought a Kingston SSD drive and adapter to load up my music collection. Now the trouble starts.

I either need to mount it to the Rpi, which seems to require a lot of jiggery pokery and possibly a full install of a Pi OS in addition to the PicorePlayer? (Did I understand that correctly?

Alternatively, and I hope more easily, will be to attach the SSD to my Router’s USB slot and enter the details in picoreplayer as a ‘Network Disk Mount’.

Could someone kindly provide a step by step guide to what details to enter in the
    Setup Network Disk Mount section of the PiCorePlayer please?